Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Victor Kristiansen

So he clearly had the remit of keeping it tight to the middle of the park yesterday. It’s almost like we were playing with 3 CBs at times. That wasn’t his fault. The trouble is, that’s a very dangerous tactic  from cooper against  a pacey strong winger like Traore - giving someone like that space is borderline suicidal. He wasn’t caught out of position from what I could see but the space  given to Traore was exploited a few times. He was told to play it tight a bit more, I think, to help our CBs because of their lack of pace and to try and prevent those defense splitting passes- cooper trusted them to use their height and awareness to deal with crosses coming in from the wings more than he did their turn of pace to deal with balls through the middle.

the trouble being that VK is not quite fully up to the speed of the English game having spent the year in Italy- probably the slowest league in the world , pace wise. It’s dangerous to do so, but h needs games to improve his sharpness and awareness. But it’s a case of giving him time to adapt rather than him being rubbish..

my concern is he doesn’t seem to adapt as quickly as is needed and I think he knows it and it could be one of the reasons he was reluctant to make the necessary changes under Maresca.

he comes a cross to me as someone who was has ability but was under coached/ not challenged enough in his youth years. Leading to a mentality of sticking with only the basic styles of play. Not having the confidence to step out of his comfort zone.

im not sure Cooper has the ability to challenge him enough.

Short version: sell.

Edited by MPH
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, MPH said:

So he clearly had the remit of keeping it tight to the middle of the park yesterday. It’s almost like we were playing with 3 CBs at times. That wasn’t his fault. The trouble is, that’s a very dangerous tactic  from cooper against  a pacey strong winger like Traore - giving someone like that space is borderline suicidal. He wasn’t caught out of position from what I could see but the space  given to Traore was exploited a few times. He was told to play it tight a bit more, I think, to help our CBs because of their lack of pace and to try and prevent those defense splitting passes- cooper trusted them to use their height and awareness to deal with crosses coming in from the wings more than he did their turn of pace to deal with balls through the middle.

the trouble being that VK is not quite fully up to the speed of the English game having spent the year in Italy- probably the slowest league in the world , pace wise. It’s dangerous to do so, but h needs games to improve his sharpness and awareness. But it’s a case of giving him time to adapt rather than him being rubbish..

my concern is he doesn’t seem to adapt as quickly as is needed and I think he knows it and it could be one of the reasons he was reluctant to make the necessary changes under Maresca.

he comes a cross to me as someone who was has ability but was under coached/ not challenged enough in his youth years. Leading to a mentality of sticking with only the basic styles of play. Not having the confidence to step out of his comfort zone.

im not sure Cooper has the ability to challenge him enough.

Short version: sell.

I dunno, that was possibly a master plan from Coops ….. Troure (I worked at Wolves so know a lot of Wolves fans and saw a fair few games myself) has a Lloyd Dyer first touch, either absolutely sublime or a throw in. He is lightning quick and strong, and very one dimensional - gets his head down and runs down the wing.

The woeful part of his game is knowing when to stop and his crossing. If I were manager I wouldn’t have a full back engage him high up the pitch or in a tussle, I’d concede most of those battles and simply hold him from going inside. He’ll do the rest of the job of beating him himself!

26 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

I dunno, that was possibly a master plan from Coops ….. Troure (I worked at Wolves so know a lot of Wolves fans and saw a fair few games myself) has a Lloyd Dyer first touch, either absolutely sublime or a throw in. He is lightning quick and strong, and very one dimensional - gets his head down and runs down the wing.

The woeful part of his game is knowing when to stop and his crossing. If I were manager I wouldn’t have a full back engage him high up the pitch or in a tussle, I’d concede most of those battles and simply hold him from going inside. He’ll do the rest of the job of beating him himself!

my only concern about engaging him further up the pitch is that if Tourè knocks it past him he’s got a clear run into the box because BCDR isn’t chasing back.. and you really don’t want that.

15 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

No choice but to play him really. But he isn’t very good. 

I agree but in a strange twist of fate, he needs games and whilst he’s a potential  liability because of his limitations, there’s a possibility he’ll get better with consistent games..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MPH said:

my only concern about engaging him further up the pitch is that if Tourè knocks it past him he’s got a clear run into the box because BCDR isn’t chasing back.. and you really don’t want that.

Yeah, I agree it’s risky, especially with so little pace in the side…  As per the second goal, a quick CB would have easily covered JJ’s mistake there and we wouldn’t have really noticed it

7 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Yeah, I agree it’s risky, especially with so little pace in the side…  As per the second goal, a quick CB would have easily covered JJ’s mistake there and we wouldn’t have really noticed it

we’re in a bit of a bad spot really.. if you have the CBs we have you need pacy LBs and RBs.. otherwise you need like you say Pacy CBs.. we don’t seem to have either..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

3 goals conceded this season 

none on his side 

just saying 

Kid looks ok 

just needs time 

Top left backs are very hard to find 

All this is true, but the elephant in the room is that Cooper's system has Kristiansen in the team in place of Ricardo, and that overall makes the team worse.

We could play like this right now:

Hermansen

Faes              Vestergaard                   Justin

Winks      Ricardo / Skipp

Fatawu / Ayew                                                     Mavididi / McAteer

Buonanotte              Ndidi / Reid

Vardy / Cannon

That was the system that won us the Championship last season. It can even play on the counter attack, see Leicester City 5 - 0 Southampton.

So far his new system has Kristiansen and Reid in the team instead of Mavididi and Ricardo, both of whom were two of our best players last season.

I'd put money on the setup above performing better and getting better results than the one Cooper is going for. And by the way when we got relegated, Ricardo turned down a loan move abroad to help us get back up. Now he's dropped to the bench. Mental behaviour.

• Like 2

I don't want to make this too much about Traore, but he makes a Premier League wage because he can devastate when he has his full back isolated out wide. The oily git will knock it past and be 3 yards clear before you have turned around. Once that happens he's in the box in a flash and the CBs are scrambling to get to him. Which causes penalties or big spaces for the strikers.

That's why the game plan was to not let him get behind Kristiansen. And it largely worked, it just looked bad. 

So far I don't really have any complaints about Kristiansen this season. He has improved while on loan and the goals are coming from the other side of the defence.

• Like 1

Feels like games pass him by with him never really doing anything of note.

Nothing of any note attacking wise, and no crunching tackles or blocks, but at the same time not doing anything glaringly wrong.

Just nothing really....but weirdly...

I get the feeling that he has something about him and given time could develop into a player. 

But I don’t know what the something is!

I can't put my finger on it. 

I'm so undecided.

Having said that I think there are other areas of the pitch that need more focus right now. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Neither goal came for his side.

Not quite true, VK lost a challenge which he should have put into touch. 3 quick passes later we're picking the ball from the Net.

We were transitioning to attack mode at the time which also caught out Fatawu and Faes which left JJ exposed 2 v 1.

6 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

3 goals conceded this season 

none on his side 

just saying 

Kid looks ok 

just needs time 

Top left backs are very hard to find 

Considering he’s come up against two mobile (in Traore, rapid) wingers, I think he’s done ok.

Him having a left foot offers such a greater balance than putting JJ out there.

• Like 2