Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

3 hours ago, Foxy DK said:

He’s right, though. Some of us have asked several times how Vesty has managed to be a starter in the Bundesliga and Premier League for most of his career if he can’t defend? The very least you might expect from ppl writing him off next season is an explanation, but most just repeat the same unfounded claims, seemingly without reading the other posts here - what’s the point of posting here if you don’t want to debate?

I haven't followed Vestergaard's career prior to joining us but I do know that when we signed him and Bertrand, we were signing half of the second worst defence in the league. A defence that we had put nine past ourselves.  I think many of us were baffled and horrified in equal measure.  A quick trip to Saints Web showed me that many of the Southamoton fans were more than happy to let him go and equally baffled.

His subsequent eleven PL games for us were an abomination.  I can't understand that anyone that witnessed it would advocate using Vestergaard in the PL again.  He was dropped as he was clearly not fit for purpose.

Vestergaard's apologists point to the fact that he had no pre season and somehow it was Rodgers; fault that he was as weak as a kitten, but I never want to see that again.  Personally, I think that we will re sign Vestergaard as I can't see another PL club offering him a job and when he is targeted week after week and his lack of mobility is exposed time and again, you will all turn on him again.  Its as if we have all forgotten how bad it was the first time around.  To me it's a bit like thinking to oneself  "That Liz Truss wasn't that bad was she? maybe worth another go...."

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

If Vestergaard still had a couple of years left I'd happily give him a chance but I'm not sure we can afford to offer him a new deal. It doesn't make business sense. We are likely to be stuck with Coady, can maybe keep Souttar around and hopefully purchase a new first choice centre back. 

2 hours ago, Foxy DK said:

He’s right, though. Some of us have asked several times how Vesty has managed to be a starter in the Bundesliga and Premier League for most of his career if he can’t defend? The very least you might expect from ppl writing him off next season is an explanation, but most just repeat the same unfounded claims, seemingly without reading the other posts here - what’s the point of posting here if you don’t want to debate?

My explanation is watching how he consistently crumbles under pressure which we saw in the Prem constantly. Teams aren't going to be treating us like footballing royalty next season and that means our defenders are going to have to be able to defend as well as pass. 

A 32 year old Yannick Vestergaard doesn't fill me with confidence. If Burnley stick with Kompany when he gets them comfortably relegated I can imagine they'd fancy signing Yannick after seeing what he can do at this level in a similar system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I haven't followed Vestergaard's career prior to joining us but I do know that when we signed him and Bertrand, we were signing half of the second worst defence in the league. A defence that we had put nine past ourselves.  I think many of us were baffled and horrified in equal measure.  A quick trip to Saints Web showed me that many of the Southamoton fans were more than happy to let him go and equally baffled.

His subsequent eleven PL games for us were an abomination.  I can't understand that anyone that witnessed it would advocate using Vestergaard in the PL again.  He was dropped as we was clearly not fit for purpose.

Vestergaard's apologists point to the fact that he had no pre season and somehow it was Rodgers; fault that he was as weak as a kitten, but I never want to see that again.  Personally, I think that we will re sign Vestergaard as I can't see another PL club offering him a job and when he is targeted week after week and his lack of mobility is exposed time and again, you will all turn on him again.  Its as if we have all forgotten how bad it was the first time around.  To me it's a bit like thinking to oneself  "That Liz Truss wasn't that bad was she? maybe worth another go...."

Haven’t seen any apologists around here, just more and less nuanced takes. I’m not at all confident he’ll be good enough for us in the prem, but I can’t rule it out either. Some players can shine under one manager and crumble under another - and Brendan didn’t excel at man management to say the least.

19 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

I hope he only gets new contract if he agrees to his wages are halving.  Cant afford to give him 75K a week again.

Length of contract is the key issue. He's going to be 32 when next season starts. If he's happy to take a one-year extension, then I think we should do it. But I suspect he'd only accept a reduced wage if he had the extra security of a 3-year deal, which (imo) the club would be bonkers to offer. Maybe a compromise could be reached at 2 years. 

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

My explanation is watching how he consistently crumbles under pressure which we saw in the Prem constantly. Teams aren't going to be treating us like footballing royalty next season and that means our defenders are going to have to be able to defend as well as pass. 

A 32 year old Yannick Vestergaard doesn't fill me with confidence. If Burnley stick with Kompany when he gets them comfortably relegated I can imagine they'd fancy signing Yannick after seeing what he can do at this level in a similar system.

Well, his passing was a very important and highly valued aspect of his game when at Saints - in the Prem. Defensively he struggled when the team struggled and will always be exposed on the counter. 

1 minute ago, Foxy DK said:

Well, his passing was a very important and highly valued aspect of his game when at Saints - in the Prem. Defensively he struggled when the team struggled and will always be exposed on the counter. 

It sounds like we have the same concerns then, just our bias towards Danish players may differ slightly? :D

2 hours ago, murphy said:

His subsequent eleven PL games for us were an abomination.  I can't understand that anyone that witnessed it would advocate using Vestergaard in the PL again.  He was dropped as he was clearly not fit for purpose.

There isn't a level Liz Truss isn't rotten at. There's where your analogy fails. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It sounds like we have the same concerns then, just our bias towards Danish players may differ slightly? :D

Ah, at last. Been waiting for that. Well done, sir, keep up the good work 🤡

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, murphy said:

He was dropped as he was clearly not fit for purpose.

But - the purpose Enzo uses him for is completely different. These guys are all good players - as long as they're used in the right way, in the right team, playing the right way. Round pegs, round holes, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm confident Enzo will have at least as good a grasp of players abilities as we have, and if we're playing Vestergaard in the Premier League next season it'll be either because Enzo thinks he's good enough, in which case he'll probably be right, or because we can't afford anyone else and he's the best we've got, in which case there won't be much point in us moaning about him or getting on his back!

4 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

I hope he only gets new contract if he agrees to his wages are halving.  Cant afford to give him 75K a week again.

This is why he leaves IMO. Will get a better offer elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

This is why he leaves IMO. Will get a better offer elsewhere.

Will he though? He's a 31 year-old defender (will be 32 by the time next season starts) who doesn't have a great reputation at premier league level. I believe he has a young family as well, so he may not want to move. 

6 hours ago, Shane said:

There’s more pros than cons to giving him a new contract in my opinion.

- We might have a small budget in the summer & re-signing him will be cheaper than finding a replacement.

- He fits the system and play style.

- The players trust him.

- He is an experienced pro.

- He communicates well on the pitch. He is always organising and shouting at his team mates.

- His passing is excellent and crucial to the way we play. 92.7% pass completion.

- He actually wants to play for us and fight for the shirt.

- I’m confident Enzo would want to keep him and thats good enough for me.

Sign him up!!

He looks much better for us than he has in previous seasons and that's not just down to the opposition that we have been playing. He's looked far more confident and assured. However, I can't help but think that he'll be ripped apart by better quality players. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Will he though? He's a 31 year-old defender (will be 32 by the time next season starts) who doesn't have a great reputation at premier league level. I believe he has a young family as well, so he may not want to move. 

I imagine he couldn't believe his eyes when we offered to spunk 80k a week on him. I imagine he'd be more than happy on 35-40 (which I still think is way too much)

As much as I admire Vesty for his turnaround in form. and the job he's doing right now. Assuming we go up to the prem,  We surely can't go into the premiership with his slow pace. He'll be exposed quickly and too often for us to take the risk. We need another strong mobile CB in the Faes mold comfortable with the ball bit also agressive when needed.

We dont know if Coady will stay, though I expect he will. Then we also have Nelson who may need another season of introducing him to the premiership. So we definitely need someone.

I'd say thank you Vesty for your help but we need to move on. Otherwise I feel we will be struggling which is not the return back to the Prem we want.

• Like 1

We will adapt our style of play to accommodate his slow pace.  Man Utd do the same when Maguire plays and to some extent Evans this season.  In some games can see us playing a lower block and the back four will play deeper.  This, would allow us to retain his services.  

Genuinely have to give the 'great dane' as I call him some credit.  He was frozen out by Rodgers and to be fair this is some turnaround.  Credit where it is do.

4 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

He did well at Southampton and was a car crash in a team where he was asked to play against his suitability’s. He’s an established Danish international with a good reputation on the continent, I think he will.

Im not claiming he goes to Man City obviously but I suspect we will offer him a contract which will be bettered elsewhere and he leaves.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

I don't see what European club offers him more than £40-50k a week, even on a free. 

• Like 1

He's been great this year and all credit to him, but he's getting spanked for pace in the prem plenty when we're not dominanting the ball. Go out on a high after a great redemption story with everyone's best wishes 

• Like 1

He’s been arguably our best player this season alongside Winks and as such he deserves a contract offer for next season. It’s more a case of whether he’ll be happy with the terms the club will be able to afford in light of the new FFP regs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1