Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

I’d be bringing Coady in for Doyle tbh. Not sure why Vesty should be dropped he’s been our best defender this season. 

Defo, Doyle doesn't seem a very good defender at the moment, zero awareness and is quite slow for a young lad. Good on the ball, but if you are a defender you need to be able to defend

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I see the FT tacticians and super scouts are at it again comparing Vestergaard and Doyle.

Yes Vestergaard is coping currently but pitting him against Doyle simply because they are both CBs is a little to black and white.

Doyle will show up more in making errors because he is asked to do more within his role, Vestergaard is currently just being asked to sit in the middle and head the ball out & play those diagonal balls from the halfway line when he’s under no pressure at all.

Doyle is asked to be on the ball more, he also is pinging balls around like JV, he to is playing as a CB but also getting up in attack as a LB just as JJ supported up the right.

Part of Southamptons plan was to utilise the speed of Fraser, Armstrong and Adams targeting the highline and lack of pace of JV, ever so often even their keeper would fizz a long ball back to front, what helped JV in those instances was not his lofty height but having Justin there to recover quicker, he did a lot of the mopping up which then didn’t expose JV’s lack of pace to bad.

Vestergaard is having a purple patch granted but I would rather Doyle in the team over him when all fit.
JJ coming in like that for his first game has now made the starter options even more of a headache although the headache will be around JJ, Faes & Doyle as Coady takes the centre spot over JV every time and JV can’t play the R or L CB positions in this system.

Nice problem to have and I’m sure all will play a big part, including Vestergaard.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He was pushing out of the back three hunting for the ball, playing on the front foot, winning it and then playing a simple pass into the middle or switching the play. Exactly what Enzo wants from his defenders. Up against a team with bags of pace last night and he was never exposed.

Fair play to him. Enzo must handle this carefully as you can’t drop him for Coady after that, sets a bad precedent. 

5 hours ago, Claridge said:

Defo, Doyle doesn't seem a very good defender at the moment, zero awareness and is quite slow for a young lad. Good on the ball, but if you are a defender you need to be able to defend

Needs a cpl of games out - his passing is great, his positioning is questionable as is his anticipation and tackling. I’m sure there is a player there but worried about his lack of pace, he looks dreadfully slow 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, murphy said:

It's almost as if this new Vestergaard fan club has forgotten that we are playing in a different division and overlooked his contribution in getting us here.  

He was literally sidelined by the manager who urged him to sign for the team. He wasn’t playing - hell, he wasn’t even allowed to train with the squad by the end. He was a waste of money last season, but he sure as shit had precious little to do with the relegation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Daggers said:

bUt He CaNt RuN iR JuMp

And people laughed at me in the match thread for praising his competence. 

By far one of the best player on the pitch tonight. 

To be fair, he excelled last night because we sat deep second half especially (so he wasn't exposed for pace) and So'ton didn't try to attack in the air (which is bizarre given they should know all about his weak and strong areas).

Not taking anything away from Jannik though.

The few times So'ton did counter, he was left for dead.

But let's hope these performances become the norm for him this season 🤞

4 hours ago, BKLFox said:

I see the FT tacticians and super scouts are at it again comparing Vestergaard and Doyle.

Yes Vestergaard is coping currently but pitting him against Doyle simply because they are both CBs is a little to black and white.

Doyle will show up more in making errors because he is asked to do more within his role, Vestergaard is currently just being asked to sit in the middle and head the ball out & play those diagonal balls from the halfway line when he’s under no pressure at all.

Doyle is asked to be on the ball more, he also is pinging balls around like JV, he to is playing as a CB but also getting up in attack as a LB just as JJ supported up the right.

Part of Southamptons plan was to utilise the speed of Fraser, Armstrong and Adams targeting the highline and lack of pace of JV, ever so often even their keeper would fizz a long ball back to front, what helped JV in those instances was not his lofty height but having Justin there to recover quicker, he did a lot of the mopping up which then didn’t expose JV’s lack of pace to bad.

Vestergaard is having a purple patch granted but I would rather Doyle in the team over him when all fit.
JJ coming in like that for his first game has now made the starter options even more of a headache although the headache will be around JJ, Faes & Doyle as Coady takes the centre spot over JV every time and JV can’t play the R or L CB positions in this system.

Nice problem to have and I’m sure all will play a big part, including Vestergaard.

Yeah! Those damn FT tacticians, eh?

35 minutes ago, Daggers said:

He was literally sidelined by the manager who urged him to sign for the team. He wasn’t playing - hell, he wasn’t even allowed to train with the squad by the end. He was a waste of money last season, but he sure as shit had precious little to do with the relegation.

He was sidelined long before Fulham came knocking because his performances were so bad that he had made himself unselectable.  How has everybody forgotten how laughably bad he was?  

10 hours ago, Tommy G said:

I’d be bringing Coady in for Doyle tbh. Not sure why Vesty should be dropped he’s been our best defender this season. 

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I can't see that happening with the system we're playing. Feel that it has to be Coady or Vesty playing that central role in the back 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, murphy said:

He was sidelined long before Fulham came knocking because his performances were so bad that he had made himself unselectable.  How has everybody forgotten how laughably bad he was?  

He didn’t even play a game last season in the league. What are you on about.

The whole squad was shit, almost to a man. Playing for a woeful manager who couldn’t utilise players properly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Claridge said:

At 20yrs of age I wouldn't expect any more. I wonder what Baresi and VanDyke et al were like at that age. Like all of the new young talents we've acquired, they're on a very steep learning curve both in a competitive division and a with a manager like Maresca.  

One season with us and actually playing will go a long way to determining whether he and others are working keeping, buying or selling. 

Guest Col city fan

I must have been watching a different game as I didn’t think Vestie started very well at all yesterday. I recall him giving the ball away needlessly a few times early doors.

Then he became composed and I thought the second half display from the defence was like chalk and cheese to the first half. 
As for Southampton’s defensive unit! Talk about knife through butter!

37 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He didn’t even play a game last season in the league. What are you on about.

The whole squad was shit, almost to a man. Playing for a woeful manager who couldn’t utilise players properly.

He contributed to our demise as he was wholly incapable of doing the job for which he was signed.   

All I said was that this is not a Vestergaard rennaissance this is Vestergaard finding his level.  I refuse to jump on the Vestergaard revival bandwagon because the damage has already been done.  He has already let us down by being unfit for purpose in The Premier League.

You don't have to agree.

• Like 1