Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

His best game for the club. Sign of excellent coaching that he looks like he's turning things around here even if it is a few games against weaker opposition. I feared this was a game he could get exposed but he was colossal. I've always forgiven his lack of pace, it's the lack of strength / balance that's always got me. I thought he'd be far better at actual defending, ala a Robert Huth.

I did have a degree of sympathy with him being totally frozen out - he wasn't good for us under Rodgers, but we clearly had no decent defensive coaching taking place at the club and the Southampton side he played in never plunged to the depths we did last year so it isn't totally beyond him.

The biggest compliment you can pay him is that nobody moans or baulks when they see he's starting now. I honestly think there's a chance that Coady will come in and people will actually want Vestergaard back.

• Like 3

On 16/09/2023 at 11:00, BKLFox said:

I see the FT tacticians and super scouts are at it again comparing Vestergaard and Doyle.

Yes Vestergaard is coping currently but pitting him against Doyle simply because they are both CBs is a little to black and white.

Doyle will show up more in making errors because he is asked to do more within his role, Vestergaard is currently just being asked to sit in the middle and head the ball out & play those diagonal balls from the halfway line when he’s under no pressure at all.

Doyle is asked to be on the ball more, he also is pinging balls around like JV, he to is playing as a CB but also getting up in attack as a LB just as JJ supported up the right.

Part of Southamptons plan was to utilise the speed of Fraser, Armstrong and Adams targeting the highline and lack of pace of JV, ever so often even their keeper would fizz a long ball back to front, what helped JV in those instances was not his lofty height but having Justin there to recover quicker, he did a lot of the mopping up which then didn’t expose JV’s lack of pace to bad.

Vestergaard is having a purple patch granted but I would rather Doyle in the team over him when all fit.
JJ coming in like that for his first game has now made the starter options even more of a headache although the headache will be around JJ, Faes & Doyle as Coady takes the centre spot over JV every time and JV can’t play the R or L CB positions in this system.

Nice problem to have and I’m sure all will play a big part, including Vestergaard.

A bizarre post!

You’ve massively simplified your point to make a binary argument for one player … whilst criticising people making it a binary choice between the two players.

JV is definitely not just asked to do the above.

He’s re-circulating the ball, and deliberately inviting pressure to instigate the press-break. He’s actually playing a really pivotal role in how we play.

You’re not watching the game if you think he’s just heading the ball and pinging diagonals 

• Like 2

Just now, filbertway said:

The fact that a player running into Vesty and then him sticking out a leg and managing to block something for once is deemed highlight worthy is a testament to what the man brings :D 

Think us old duffers tend to call that defending :rolleyes:

(And he did twice in quick succession)

On 17/09/2023 at 19:56, Hamilton Fox said:

I think he’s been absolutely useless for us in nearly all the games he’s played in the premier league but Fridays game was his best by a distance since his debut against Man City. Let’s hope he keeps that up level up

In 2 seasons he's played 12 PL games,sub/selected..Last season 2.!!

Are fans reading more into "The Story,"

J.Vestergaard,  than  the actual exsistent gametime..!!..??

IMO..though those occasional games,with players & Rodgers tactics for B.line & midfield support, there was little to judge him on. Many CBs having a turning curve of a ship tanker..

My critic leant to his defensive/attacking heading capabilities,for his height we should have seen more of a determined dominance.

His ground play,distribution  was decent,his blocking finness was there,but like all our B.line got whipped on pace,where I believed,

the coaching staff would have created a cover,or not have him playing such an high line...

One on one, not good with running pace,but put in some decent winning tackles..Because of our high line,he did look out of place & sorts..Enzo might not of remodelled him, but played him to Vesty's own strength..

He will at least become a respected from the terraces player & most likely like A.Woollet in the past ,will be our Marmite player..

46% can't take to him 54% will accept and celebrate him,and from that 54% maybe 12% would prefer a cheese-spread,but will turn a blind eye to the occasional misendeavours..if they are surpassed occasionally  by his hiding the jar and stand up & deliver smoother performances..

If Enzo & coaching staff,could get him to  be confident to want  and attack the ball,defending or attacking..We could be eating our own Marmite humble pie..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

In 2 seasons he's played 12 PL games,sub/selected..Last season 2.!!

Are fans reading more into "The Story,"

J.Vestergaard,  than  the actual exsistent gametime..!!..??

IMO..though those occasional games,with players & Rodgers tactics for B.line & midfield support, there was little to judge him on. Many CBs having a turning curve of a ship tanker..

My critic leant to his defensive/attacking heading capabilities,for his height we should have seen more of a determined dominance.

His ground play,distribution  was decent,his blocking finness was there,but like all our B.line got whipped on pace,where I believed,

the coaching staff would have created a cover,or not have him playing such an high line...

One on one, not good with running pace,but put in some decent winning tackles..Because of our high line,he did look out of place & sorts..Enzo might not of remodelled him, but played him to Vesty's own strength..

He will at least become a respected from the terraces player & most likely like A.Woollet in the past ,will be our Marmite player..

46% can't take to him 54% will accept and celebrate him,and from that 54% maybe 12% would prefer a cheese-spread,but will turn a blind eye to the occasional misendeavours..if they are surpassed occasionally  by his hiding the jar and stand up & deliver smoother performances..

If Enzo & coaching staff,could get him to  be confident to want  and attack the ball,defending or attacking..We could be eating our own Marmite humble pie..

So he was useless in 11 prem games then. 

26 minutes ago, Hamilton Fox said:

So he was useless in 11 prem games then. 

Probably...but a nice Danish useless lol

Look Rodgers after taking a lot of correctly given plaudits,that same manager in Vesty's time,turned defending routines & tactics into some Quantum-physics mystery. God knows 'why' his total input on how to destroy years of individual players confidence & belief- building, then rip the heart out of gameday  confidence that all players need.

New player like Vesty,or young players,then find difficulties on the pitch in descision making & find their own common ground.

No central figure to turn to,because the whole squad is experiencing similar attitudes .

Just look now at least in Enzo's big clique as a squad,even the fringe players,seem to be happy to associate with the new system..

Giving Vesty,Ndidi,Chouds and Faes his trust for squad needs thus far,just shows how changing uncertainty into certainty goes along way.

By also showing also fans that square pegs can be shaped to fit in round holes.

If somehow Enzo can find away to also  integrate Souttar & Dakka first into his own character,  then into the needs & flexibility  of the squad, we have a total winning formula..