Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

9 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Definitely a combination of factors but if we get promoted an upgrade is still required.

I think a lot of upgrades would be needed for the PL. I'm enjoying winning but got a nagging feeling that we're a bit like Burnley last season. Too good for the Championship, but nowhere near the required standard for the PL. But that can wait until next summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

Definitely a combination of factors but if we get promoted an upgrade is still required.

How would we know until we see him there under this manager, in this team?

Too many ppl not realizing how important man management, playing style and trust is, even when he’s obviously much better than most of us thought. Also, he did perform very well in the Bundesliga for a couple of seasons

• Like 3

I've always been ok ish with him. I mean he needs pace alongside him - not his fault that Faes and Doyle aren't quick. With JJ there he'd be better. 

But is his few appearances for us, I saw him play a low block very well v Man City and out in a heroic rearguard v Rennes for 20 mins..

He's never been as bad as the punters have made out. Wrong manager, wrong tactics, bad management....a lower level PL player but is wayyyy over qualified for championship. 

I may add, he isn't very likeable. I get it. If I were him I'd have a chip on my shoulder too. But I can like a player without likking the man (and vice versa)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

I have been very disparaging about him but he has been immense the last 2 games and I can why he has been an international class defender for the first time 

To be fair, he's been at the very least adequate all season. I think to start off so many people were ready to slate him that even an above average performance was still taken as poor, but after the last couple of games you'd have to be blind not to see there's a decent defender in there.

On 21/09/2023 at 11:52, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think a lot of upgrades would be needed for the PL. I'm enjoying winning but got a nagging feeling that we're a bit like Burnley last season. Too good for the Championship, but nowhere near the required standard for the PL. But that can wait until next summer.

agreed    Burnley only lost 3 matches  all season so to say we must expect to lose matches is a bit defeatist. However a bit early to write Burnley off 

13 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Ok...the question needs to be asked....

New contract?

Not for me. 

If we go up, he’s not good enough for the Prem.

If we don’t go up, it means he’ll be a year older, and ultimately unsuccessful.

It’s his last season with us for me, whatever the outcome 

• Thanks 1

I mean, he’s never going to be renowned as an all time great defender, but it shows how bad Rodgers management was that Vestergaard was made to look as bad as he was.

Maresca has the exact same player, and rather than a frozen out laughing stock on 70k/week, he has a solid, steady, reliable 6’6” central defender that is capable of playing out from the back quickly and dynamically.

Think people are being swayed over a few decent performances & simply blaming Rodgers for his not playing but he’s been playing senior football since 2010 and he has 300 appearances. That would suggest there’s a few other managers that didn’t think he was a starter either, there are many 25yrs olds with higher numbers than that and still have 6yrs to add further.

With regards to being an international yes he is, but he started his international career in 2013 and still only has 35 cap.

Mings started his international career in 2019 and has over half that with 18 caps, Marc Guehi has only been around for 1yr and has 6 so he’s already way ahead in projections for the same timeframe.

He’s doing a job against championship opposition, he’s not ripping up trees let’s not get ahead of ourselves & he’s certainly not 1 we should be extending a contract for especially on premier league (hopefully) wages, there will be younger more dynamic CBs that we should be going after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Ok...the question needs to be asked....

New contract?

He’s had three good games. We should probably wait until it’s clearer that we’re looking at promotion or not before we resign him.

He’s on Premier League wages at the moment and if it turns out we’re on a new manager bounce then things could look quite different by Christmas.

Not saying we are, just there’s enough time to wait a few months and decide. If he does get tapped up in between and move away, it’s not a massive loss either way.

59 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Before we signed him he had been in a rich vein of form with some outstanding performances and can clearly play - he is another  example of a player completely mis-managed by BR - like Cags, Ndidi, Amartey (played too often)______

Cags is criminal. It shows the damage Rodgers did to this club. Cags is now in Madrid, imagine him in the Championship 🤣

We genuinely had a mid table at best Premier League squad and Rodgers relegated us.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

He’s had three good games. We should probably wait until it’s clearer that we’re looking at promotion or not before we resign him.

He’s on Premier League wages at the moment and if it turns out we’re on a new manager bounce then things could look quite different by Christmas.

Not saying we are, just there’s enough time to wait a few months and decide. If he does get tapped up in between and move away, it’s not a massive loss either way.

He's had more than 3 good games. He has been a fundamental part of reshaping the system from the very start of the season. 

The priority needs to be stopping players leave on a free (goes for Nacho and Ndidi too). If they don't sign new deals, then we need to look to offload in January.  We won't be getting much with only a few months left, but it's better than nothing. 

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Not for me. 

If we go up, he’s not good enough for the Prem.

If we don’t go up, it means he’ll be a year older, and ultimately unsuccessful.

It’s his last season with us for me, whatever the outcome 

Completely agree.  Delighted with his upturn in fortunes but let's be honest, if he gets torn apart in a couple of games this place will want him benching until May. Hope his form continues, we get promoted and we shake hands at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1