Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

12 hours ago, Lesterlad said:

To think if he had left in the summer majority of people on here would have said he was the worst defender ever in a city shirt. The abuse he got and a lot of it was unfound3d was beyond anything anyone should receive. I agree some of his performances were poor but was that down to Rodgers style of play? 
Under Enzo he has played  to his strengths and to how his manager wants him and now fans have started to take to him. Says a lot about his character that he is able to play this well, when not having played for 18 months. Well done 

Not on the windup but how different is he being asked to play than under Rodgers?

High-line and spray the ball around or move it left to right dragging opposition about all sounds very much the same.

The difference is the rest of the unit is stronger, the opposition aren’t as good and we are dominating & most importantly he’s not the last man so won’t get caught out as much with a ball over the top because of the sweeper keeper, nothing much to do with Enzo playing to his strengths.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Not on the windup but how different is he being asked to play than under Rodgers?

High-line and spray the ball around or move it left to right dragging opposition about all sounds very much the same.

The difference is the rest of the unit is stronger, the opposition aren’t as good and we are dominating & most importantly he’s not the last man so won’t get caught out as much with a ball over the top because of the sweeper keeper, nothing much to do with Enzo playing to his strengths.

I for one believe he has been a revelation this season. He is in form. He is injury free. He has a manager who believes and trust him and the fans aren’t booing his name when his name his read out on the tannoy. Yes this league isant as good but let’s face it he wasn’t given much of a chance under that useless Trollope we had before

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lesterlad said:

I for one believe he has been a revelation this season. He is in form. He is injury free. He has a manager who believes and trust him and the fans aren’t booing his name when his name his read out on the tannoy. Yes this league isant as good but let’s face it he wasn’t given much of a chance under that useless Trollope we had before

He's doing well ATM, it's good to see him and Faes getting a bit of a partnership established and like the rest of the players he's celebrating the goals like it's the 8 year olds egg & spoon race at Sports Day but let's not go OTT here. His last two or three games have been solid displays against second tier strikers, the few before that were pretty shaky and the first two games of the season he got away with errors that at a higher level would have lead to goals. Hopefully his form continues but I'll always be waiting for his next gaffe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stormfox said:

Why would we resign a player who was happy to take his salary to sit on the bench and refuse other deals! We should have enough cover to cope when leaves at the end of season

I don't know about re-sign but I certainly wouldn't rule out solely on the grounds of being happy sitting on the bench taking his salary and refuse other deals because he'd have been a mug not to and I'd have done absolutely the same!

If you've been given a contract, would you move somewhere else in your job for potentially a paycut or, uproot your new home so soon and move you, your wife and kids somewhere you didn't fancy going? He doesn't have to support or even like Leicester you know, it's just a job and business transaction.

I personally don't think he did anything wrong and the mentality he's shown under his new manager isn't anything to complain about. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2023 at 22:01, BKLFox said:

Think people are being swayed over a few decent performances & simply blaming Rodgers for his not playing but he’s been playing senior football since 2010 and he has 300 appearances. That would suggest there’s a few other managers that didn’t think he was a starter either, there are many 25yrs olds with higher numbers than that and still have 6yrs to add further.

With regards to being an international yes he is, but he started his international career in 2013 and still only has 35 cap.

Mings started his international career in 2019 and has over half that with 18 caps, Marc Guehi has only been around for 1yr and has 6 so he’s already way ahead in projections for the same timeframe.

He’s doing a job against championship opposition, he’s not ripping up trees let’s not get ahead of ourselves & he’s certainly not 1 we should be extending a contract for especially on premier league (hopefully) wages, there will be younger more dynamic CBs that we should be going after.

You have to look at the competition - in his career he has competed with Daniel Agger, Simon Kjær, Andreas Christensen, Joachim Andersen and lately Victor Nelsson who is most likely being sold to a big club next summer from Galatasaray.

He would have been a starter until Brendan for most national teams aside from the biggest ones.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Foxy DK said:

You have to look at the competition - in his career he has competed with Daniel Agger, Simon Kjær, Andreas Christensen, Joachim Andersen and lately Victor Nelsson who is most likely being sold to a big club next summer from Galatasaray.

He would have been a starter until Brendan for most national teams aside from the biggest ones.

Vestergaard showed a lot of promise in Germany during his early career, but he was never a well-rounded player.

I consider him in the same bracket of defenders as Zanka, Gravgaard and Krøldrup. All perfectly solid defenders but with serious limitations.

Vestergaard was the weakest link in the latest Euro campaign and he hasn't had a sniff since - which is very similar to Zanka who has always been on the fringes too. The others ahead of him have clearly been better, but I wouldn't consider any of them top class except maybe for prime Agger.

So I don't quite agree with you that he would be a starter for nations at the same or higher level than Denmark.

9 hours ago, shen said:

Vestergaard showed a lot of promise in Germany during his early career, but he was never a well-rounded player.

I consider him in the same bracket of defenders as Zanka, Gravgaard and Krøldrup. All perfectly solid defenders but with serious limitations.

Vestergaard was the weakest link in the latest Euro campaign and he hasn't had a sniff since - which is very similar to Zanka who has always been on the fringes too. The others ahead of him have clearly been better, but I wouldn't consider any of them top class except maybe for prime Agger.

So I don't quite agree with you that he would be a starter for nations at the same or higher level than Denmark.

Perfect, cause that’s not what I said 😊

I said he would probably start for most teams aside from the biggest ones - not the ones above Denmark. 

Anyway, if prime Simon Kjær and Andreas Christensen are not “top class”, I do not understand how you define the term. The latter is arguably at least as good than Agger was. Joachim Andersen is also doing quite well in the Prem, so my point stands - Vestergaard has had tough competition for a spot in the Danish NT.

I agree with your assessment of him, though. But outside say top 10 nations in Europe you don’t see many top defenders - a lot play in the home league of their country

• Like 1

Way too many extremes of opinions happening.

He was poor but used incorrectly but whilst he has definitely improved vastly, the opposition haven’t truly tested him and too limited to be a first choice in the PL.

Enjoy his contribution now and let him get a half decent signing on fee somewhere else please.

On 24/09/2023 at 10:17, eblair said:

Just to go against grain. We signed him to be a premier league defender and he was poor at that job. Found his level in championship in team dominating.

If we were to go up, he’d struggle in the prem playing the way we do. All those crap finishes in the championship would be goals in the prem 

Its the fickle nature of football fans. Few good games against dire opposition and he's a world beater again.

Granted the circumstances aren't entirely his own fault and he was clearly a victim of Brendan but you're right whenever he did play at Prem or Europa level he was absolutely honking for us. There is no way we should be looking to sign him to a longer term deal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dames said:

Its the fickle nature of football fans. Few good games against dire opposition and he's a world beater again.

Granted the circumstances aren't entirely his own fault and he was clearly a victim of Brendan but you're right whenever he did play at Prem or Europa level he was absolutely honking for us. There is no way we should be looking to sign him to a longer term deal. 

I don’t think it’s just the last few games. It would be weird if his true level isn’t higher than he showed under BR considering his past in the Bundesliga (he was really good there) and at Saints.

Surely confidence comes into it too. The kind of stick he got, some of it quite personal would likely knock someone. Imagine walking on to a pitch thinking the first thing you do wrong is going to receive groans and discontent from the fans? 

Clean slate and a bit of confidence has done him the world of good.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Surely confidence comes into it too. The kind of stick he got, some of it quite personal would likely knock someone. Imagine walking on to a pitch thinking the first thing you do wrong is going to receive groans and discontent from the fans? 

Clean slate and a bit of confidence has done him the world of good.

I guess the true test will be how composed he looks against top strikers tonight, when there is likely to be sustained pressure.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

I guess the true test will be how composed he looks against top strikers tonight, when there is likely to be sustained pressure.

I’ll be honest I don’t think tonight is the right fixture for Jannick. I’m loving his recent performances but I just fear it’s too soon to throw him in a fixture like tonight and potentially have his confidence drained from him again. Plus, I’d rather have him fully fit for Blackburn; he’s one of the key members of the team - part of the spine, if you will. I’ll hook him for tonight for a combination of the two reasons. 

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

liverpool will be nowhere near full strength   so I  dont know if it will be a true test or sustained pressure  Team fielded likely to be about same as  Wolves who Ipswich gave 2 goal start and still won