Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

19 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Is Coady a bit of an expensive signing now considering how much this bloke has turned it around. If he stays fit he could keep Coady out most of the season.

It's a long season (35 games left!), and Vestergaard leaves at the end of this one no matter what. There is more to this than the last 11 games we've played.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

We are clearly going to rotate a lot this season and we have seen how many yellow cards Vestergaard has already picked up. I think the biggest thing that Coady adds is leadership and I can imagine that he has played a pivotal role in changing the mentality at the club. That alone makes him worth it. 

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

It's a long season (35 games left!), and Vestergaard leaves at the end of this one no matter what. There is more to this than the last 11 games we've played.  

Don't disagree with either, I appreciate he wont play every game. I'm just not sure had the club realised how much of a revival Vestergaard was ging to have, would have spuffed £8.5m on Coady on however much a week. They may of opted for someone cheaper as back up. 

I personally think Coady will be useful this season but not as pivotal as we all thought when he signed in July.  

• Like 2

On 08/10/2023 at 07:56, adam95581 said:

We shouldn’t underestimate the impact of playing against far inferior opposition. He’s literally playing a league below so he should stand out. 

I’m all for the praise but it needs to be recognised that he is a defender who isn’t really being asked to defend and I would expect that the same deficiencies we saw last season will be apparent next season too. 

No of course but that's part of it isn't it - the job he's being asked to do. Jannik's interview last season where he was particularly scathing of Rodgers said just that "He came to see me play, he spoke to me before I signed, he knew what sort of player he was getting". There's nothing in this current style, that he couldn't have done under Rodgers. It's being given the confidence to do so. He made two or three gaffes at the start of the season that weren't punished but Maresca not only kept him in he made him even more of a focal point for the build from the back. Rodgers dropped him after a couple of nightmare games then banished him to the u-23s.

I'm not even sure if he'll be here next year but I prefer having him where he is than training with the kids.

• Like 2

I am very happy to have as much (relatively) low priced cover as possible - having a resurgent Nestagaard and Coady too just gives cover against suspensions/injuries/loss of form.

No longer can we go a season with 14 players and get away with it, and also, players are rarely dropped now so much as rotated. Old-school thinking will take a while to catch up with this.

• Like 1

A lot of people saying he won’t be able to play like this in the PL. why not.? The system is designed to have someone with his skill set in that position, so if the players around him are of sufficient quality to give him the protection, time and options to keep spraying it around then he will do.

• Like 2

I don’t have  any idea,what wafts along the clubs corridors,what the internal thoughts are towards Vestergaard..

For me…He has a damn good eye for various passes that are open to him, he has a knack of seeing he is being sometimes frustrating and lethargic,

but his position seems to hold Leicesters play control in his hands…

He opens up KDH,winks,Ndidi,they then hold &  take the responsibility, on movement ,but when he sees an opening,for Mavdidi/wingers,or KDH he has quite a deft touch and balanced weight in his passing. He recognises & sees after several forward drives, the forward ( or collective) needs a bit of a breather,he will hold the ball,with his defensive. Partners,and be a major part of some good game management,before deciding to feed again that attacking ball…Sometimes we see Fatawu.Mavdidi holding free space,but the Defense can’t  keep involving  them, so other routes and get outs are taken

IMO he seems to have taken on that b.line focal point,to lay the ball back to,to feel for the potential areas,where they can build from.Takes pressure from Winks, and is not easy pressurised,and try’s to see Hes not caught out on a foot race,but the natural hectic of any game,he might get caught or even let down…Hes not a Justin or Choudhury who can wipe up or react when oppo suddenly finds free space, though but he has good choice in positioning when preventing a run,or blocking…

In a few of his tackles he been unfairly/harshly pulled up,& wrongly verbally cautioned,for just holding his ground,or made excellent standing tackles.

Like many others ( if not all) players,will have improved in leaps and bounds by the EOS, let’s not rush in judging  now,his EOS potential

Edited by fuchsntf

On 02/10/2023 at 08:53, Sampson said:

Plenty of great players in Leicester’s history have played parts in relegations. From Wellington, Weller and Shilton through Lineker, McAllister and Smith through Izzet, Elliott and Walsh (two relegations each actually).

The idea you want a player dropped who is playing well for us and helping us currently be on course for promotion, because he played a part in relegation last season, is utterly absurd.

I can only assume you’re a younger fan who has never experienced relegation before. It can be a bit shit, sure, but it’s a temporary feeling that will be forgotten about in 2 years time if we get promoted again. 

Vestegaard is currently playing very well, there is absolutely no need to drop him for Coady or Souttar right now when we’re going on as it is. Certainly not for reasons that have nothing to do with his current level of performances.

He didn't even play a game last season either. I'm not going to pretend he wasn't dog shit in his first two years but that relegation can't be put on him in any way, shape or form and for all the bashing he got for his conduct he has played in better sides than how ours performed last season.

I have reservations about him for us in the top flight depending on our ambitions but he's a quite key part of our side now I think. Him playing is no joke anymore, we missed him for a game and I genuinely wanted him back in because I think we missed his passing.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, urban fox said:

A lot of people saying he won’t be able to play like this in the PL. why not.? The system is designed to have someone with his skill set in that position, so if the players around him are of sufficient quality to give him the protection, time and options to keep spraying it around then he will do.

Easy, in the PL there wouldn’t be a single side that would fear us like they do in the Championship aka they wouldn’t park the bus.

Any side that presses us from the front to a half decent standard with Jannik having to run towards his goal highlight not only his lack of pace but (this has been evidenced this season itself) how poorly he positions himself knowing he will get beat in a foot race by 95% of strikers.

I’m all for his redemption story and think he’ll play an important part this season but all you have to do is watch any PL game over the years to see the huge gulf in class/style of football.

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 1

Vestergaard was a nailed-on starter in the Bundesliga and the PL for many seasons before Rodgers.  All this “he clearly can’t play in the PL” is revisionist history.  Does he have flaws that will be exposed at the highest level? Yeah, but guess what - so do all but the elite 5-10% of defenders out there.

I’m also skeptical that the only reason he’s playing is because Coady got hurt.  Enzo is a sharp guy.  He knew 60-70% of the time we’d see 60-70% of the ball, and be facing low blocks giving our back line basically unlimited time on the ball.  I think Enzo knew that in this league with this roster and using this system, Vesty was an ideal fit - he needed someone who could start attacks from the back and recycle possession.  Coady can do that too, but Vestergaard is elite in that aspect of the game.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, AKCJ said:

It's genuinely mental how good he's been.

At a much lower level of opposing quality?  It is all relative. Coady did ok last season in the EPL playing for a Pub Team.

On 09/10/2023 at 09:12, BenTheFox said:

We are clearly going to rotate a lot this season and we have seen how many yellow cards Vestergaard has already picked up. I think the biggest thing that Coady adds is leadership and I can imagine that he has played a pivotal role in changing the mentality at the club. That alone makes him worth it. 

Sounds a bit like Henderson’s role for England 

17 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Or Coady for his England squad inclusions? 👀

Probably, my original point was we paid £8.5m plus at least £50K a week, so over £11m this season - in hindsight, we are all surprised how good Vestergaard has been and had we known that, I think the club might not of shelled out this much. At the time, he was our saviour because we weren't sure what our defence would be like this season. He is a luxury that we can just about afford if we go up at the first time of asking. 

On 09/10/2023 at 08:52, Tommy G said:

Is Coady a bit of an expensive signing now considering how much this bloke has turned it around. If he stays fit he could keep Coady out most of the season.

Just the leadership from Coady is worth the fee alone. 

The blokes turned the place around along with Enzo. 

He's a proper leader. 

• Like 1

He's benefitting from a few things this season; confidence from the manager, pitch time, a role that plays to his strengths, weaker opposition. Impossible to decipher which of these has most contributed to his transformation but he's looked like a standout player in the league this year bar a couple of dodgy bits early on.

Will be sign a new contract? Can he cut it in the Prem? WIll Coady take his place? Tbh, I don't really care, he's playing and bossing it so fair play to him!