Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

On 09/10/2023 at 08:52, Tommy G said:

Is Coady a bit of an expensive signing now considering how much this bloke has turned it around. If he stays fit he could keep Coady out most of the season.

Coady adds leadership, experience and professionalism which was much needed, that alone was worth the transfer fee.

Coady's problem now is that he's going to be a bit off the pace, as I personally thought was on show against Preston, so he'll need game time to settle. Vestegaard is boardering on undroppable right now so when the time comes Coady needs to be on the ball *excuse the pun 😂

It's a nice problem to have but it's a long season and it's almost certain he'll get more opportunities sooner rather than later.l

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Coady adds leadership, experience and professionalism which was much needed, that alone was worth the transfer fee.

Coady's problem now is that he's going to be a bit off the pace, as I personally thought was on show against Preston, so he'll need game time to settle. Vestegaard is boardering on undroppable right now so when the time comes Coady needs to be on the ball *excuse the pun 😂

It's a nice problem to have but it's a long season and it's almost certain he'll get more opportunities sooner rather than later.l

I understand the need for leadership - my point originally was in hindsight given how well Vestergaard has played did we need Coady or could we have invested the money elsewhere. 

£11m for off the field leadership is a luxury for a premier league team nevermind a championship side.  

Maybe we can afford it, it was a curious point of view not a criticism on Coadys ability. 

22 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I understand the need for leadership - my point originally was in hindsight given how well Vestergaard has played did we need Coady or could we have invested the money elsewhere. 

£11m for off the field leadership is a luxury for a premier league team nevermind a championship side.  

Maybe we can afford it, it was a curious point of view not a criticism on Coadys ability. 

We'll need a dearth of quality centre halves if we go up, in fact we need them this season too. Case in point Saturday. We rotated, allowing us to rest players and still looked great. Don't think any of us can turn our nose up at it. Depth is key and it's what will get us promoted. 

As someone who has shown massive patience with Jannik during his time here, he doesn’t deserve a new contract if it looks like we will be in the EPL next season, as his sitting play making defender position would be crucified next season imo.

Could well be wrong, but I think his mobility against the fitness levels encountered would eventually be found out.

Been great this season and I very much enjoy his style of play, but no new contract for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

As someone who has shown massive patience with Jannik during his time here, he doesn’t deserve a new contract if it looks like we will be in the EPL next season, as his sitting play making defender position would be crucified next season imo.

Could well be wrong, but I think his mobility against the fitness levels encountered would eventually be found out.

Been great this season and I very much enjoy his style of play, but no new contract for me.

I agree. Happy for him rediscovering some form and it could be instrumental in seeing us go up but he would also benefit greatly from it as it would make him an attractive free transfer for many clubs which would lead to him getting a good deal to finish his career. 

24 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If we can get a mill or 2 I would sell in Jan. I imagine he would be on the radar for a few suitors, and we can start planning what we want to do next. I doubt he would sign a new deal anyway and probably doubt we would sell for a small amount bearing in mind whats at stake.

Will probably end up at Man City and have a brilliant season or 2.

3 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

If we can get a mill or 2 I would sell in Jan. I imagine he would be on the radar for a few suitors, and we can start planning what we want to do next. I doubt he would sign a new deal anyway and probably doubt we would sell for a small amount bearing in mind whats at stake.

Will probably end up at Man City and have a brilliant season or 2.

No way should we sell in Jan! He’s been instrumental for us so far. Would rather him help get us up then he leaves on a free. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I think he will be starting with us next season in the Prem

I really don’t think so.  Maresca with his knowledge of the Premier league will recognize that Vesty probably isn’t mobile enough to succeed in the Premier.    I realize that there are a lot of games still to play but I’m guessing a small part of Enzo’s brain is planning for next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

No way should we sell in Jan! He’s been instrumental for us so far. Would rather him help get us up then he leaves on a free. 

But, being devils advocate, our system is so solid that someone as sh1t as Vestergaard can come in and look like one of the best defenders in the league. Imagine if we could get a few quid for him, and replace him with an upcoming talent who is a bit pacier who would then grow into the roll over the rest of the season and be a good backup option on the PL next year.

Coady plays well in a 3 so wouldn't be surprised if we played Faes and Coady wide either side of Vestergaard at some points. Man City have done it before and played  players like Silva wide midfield as they're hard working. We could easily do the same with Mavididi, Akgun and Fatawu as they're pretty hard working defensively. 

Hermamsen

Faes Vestergaard Coady

Fatawu Winks Ndidi Mavididi

KDH Akgun

Vardy

10 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

Coady plays well in a 3 so wouldn't be surprised if we played Faes and Coady wide either side of Vestergaard at some points. Man City have done it before and played  players like Silva wide midfield as they're hard working. We could easily do the same with Mavididi, Akgun and Fatawu as they're pretty hard working defensively. 

Hermamsen

Faes Vestergaard Coady

Fatawu Winks Ndidi Mavididi

KDH Akgun

Vardy

I can’t ever see Enzo (through choice) starting Coady and Jannik together, they’ve definitely not got the attributes to play the wide CB role.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

But, being devils advocate, our system is so solid that someone as sh1t as Vestergaard can come in and look like one of the best defenders in the league. Imagine if we could get a few quid for him, and replace him with an upcoming talent who is a bit pacier who would then grow into the roll over the rest of the season and be a good backup option on the PL next year.

That’s how it is with players- they are better in some roles and systems. 

Calling him sh1t just shows a lack of understanding of the game and knowledge of his history in Germany and the PL. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

If we go up and lets be honest as well as we are doing its still if.  It would all depend on how Enzo would set us up in the premier league.  Maguire for instance, due to lack of pace, always plays very deep for England and Utd, when he plays.  If Enzo utilised a system where defenders were to play deep I could see Jannick fitting into this style and system of play.

To be honest, up until recently he played regularly for the Danish national team.  Rodgers never gave him a chance especially after their fall out.   

Vesterguaard has been a stand out performer for us in this league this season.  He has turned my opinion on him around.  I believe he deserves a new contract.

• Like 3

So many ifs and buts on this thread.

Will Vestergaard be good enough to play in the Premier League IF we go up? Last time I looked we’ve still got 35 games to play. Injuries or loss of form could still derail that ambition. 

Should we keep him? See above. We don’t know what division we’ll be playing in yet. 

If we do go up will we change our style and approach? Will better players be available who we can attract to the club? Will Vestergaard want to stay if we do/don’t go up? 

If we get to a point where promotion is effectively sealed then we should look at the squad and see what we need. I doubt many players, with a year left, will commit to contracts before January anyway and will look at their own options. That’s the jeopardy that relegation has brought. There might be a Premier League (or other top European) option, which could mean JV deciding we’re not good enough for him - rather than the other way around. 

In the present I’m just enjoying Jannik’s current form. I had him firmly in the frame for one of our worst ever signings before this season so it’s already feeling like a massive bonus that he’s proving his worth 

• Like 1

Cannot disagree with much of the two above posts, certainly not slandering Jannik, as he has been magnificent this season, and perhaps I overestimate some of lower teams in the EPL, perhaps as mentioned, we will sit deeper by design, perhaps Enzo will find a way to utilise him  :dunno:

I just imagine, perhaps incorrectly, he will be under far more pressure in the EPL, even if sitting very deep, he would be targeted as a key person to stifle the way we like to play.

Its tedious international break time, got to fill the airwaves with something.....

8 hours ago, Foxy DK said:

That’s how it is with players- they are better in some roles and systems. 

Calling him sh1t just shows a lack of understanding of the game and knowledge of his history in Germany and the PL. 

Also shows you don't get sarcasm.