Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

He's found his level. That may sound harsh, but that's ultimately the bottom line. Jannick has been fantastic for us, so far this season.

He's a Danish International, can pass a ball, delightfully. He can defend what's in front of him very well. Great anticipation, in this division, it would seem.

Negatives: Absolutely zero pace. Not a great attacking threat. For a man mountain of a man, he cannot jump!

He's clearly going to have a good season with us... but, I personally wouldn't be extending his contract, as if we go up, he won't be able to do what he's doing (what we're asking him to do) in the Premier League, IMO.

13 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

He's found his level.

You may well be correct or could it be we've developed a system that actually suits his qualities? I do think if we extend his contract, neither Faes or Coady next to him will be the answer in Premier League as it would be a back line exposed to any team with pace and an adequate press. It maybe that those mentioned above would do ok against the bottom half of the Premier League, but I would nervous about the outcome against the top sides.

4 hours ago, iancognito said:

I'm all for bigging him up but I want to see the "progressive passes" stat. Most of the recipients of those passes have been Doyle, Justin and Choudhury. With defenders the only important stats are Headers won, Clearances and Blocks.

Wow, I really cannot agree with that at all

edit …because the game, the team is more holistic now, not as divided into just set areas of responsibility. I mean that that pissing about at the back has its value in drawing the opponent towards you, giving you the opportunity to make that progressive pass.

Edited by Dahnsouff

5 hours ago, iancognito said:

I'm all for bigging him up but I want to see the "progressive passes" stat. Most of the recipients of those passes have been Doyle, Justin and Choudhury. With defenders the only important stats are Headers won, Clearances and Blocks.

There really is a lot more to a defender than just headers, clearances and blocks in Enzo’s team. 
Like saying the only thing important about a goalie is saves. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

You may well be correct or could it be we've developed a system that actually suits his qualities? I do think if we extend his contract, neither Faes or Coady next to him will be the answer in Premier League as it would be a back line exposed to any team with pace and an adequate press. It maybe that those mentioned above would do ok against the bottom half of the Premier League, but I would nervous about the outcome against the top sides.

Who do you think we are going to sign to not be 😬 

On 12/10/2023 at 19:00, Viva said:

There really is a lot more to a defender than just headers, clearances and blocks in Enzo’s team. 
Like saying the only thing important about a goalie is saves. 

Sure they do more than JUST that but the clue is in the name, he's a defender. His defensive qualities are what he's measured on. He can play 100 passes in a game but nobody will give a shit about that if Jimmy Halfpint from Harchester United beats him in the air at a corner and we lose 1-0. He'll have stats of Passes: 100 and Aerials Lost: 1.

If you're talking keepers, you can look at passes or crosses claimed all you want but when the pressure was on Ward last season nobody - absolutely nobody - said he distributed it well. It was all on his abysmal save percentage.

We can get lost in statistics and actually lose sight of what the players are there for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iancognito said:

Sure they do more than JUST that but the clue is in the name, he's a defender. His defensive qualities are what he's measured on. He can play 100 passes in a game but nobody will give a shit about that if Jimmy Halfpint from Harchester United beats him in the air at a corner and we lose 1-0. He'll have stats of Passes: 100 and Aerials Lost: 1.

If you're talking keepers, you can look at passes or crosses claimed all you want but when the pressure was on Ward last season nobody - absolutely nobody - said he distributed it well. It was all on his abysmal save percentage.

We can get lost in statistics and actually lose sight of what the players are there for.

Yeah and one of the main things Vestergaard is there for in our team is to pass the ball. Okazaki was nominally a striker for us but it would have been pretty unfair if you'd said well he's a striker so I don't care about his work off the ball, he's there to score goals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guest said:

Yeah and one of the main things Vestergaard is there for in our team is to pass the ball. Okazaki was nominally a striker for us but it would have been pretty unfair if you'd said well he's a striker so I don't care about his work off the ball, he's there to score goals.

You can take that back a few more years to the Heskey debate. Always criticised for his relative lack of goals but the comeback was always "Michael Owen's favourite strike partner" and "his team mates appreciate the other aspects of his game". But however you look at it, when you talk top Prem strikers or top England strikers, his "other aspects" won't get him into the best strikers debate, he'll be well down the list.

Your other clue is right there in what you said what he does in "our team".

For clarity, I'm not in any way demeaning what he actually does, he's having a good season. Just saying defenders are judged by defensive stats.