Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

27 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

It's way too harsh (and inaccurate) to state he's bad at defending. He's bad in any scenario that involves him running back to goal, yes, but bad at defending full stop? No, not having that.

There have been countless occasions this season that he's demonstrated great anticipation, stood strong and made good tackles, won headers. Who'd have seen that one coming?

Would he be a wise selection for us in the Premier League? I'm not sure either way. Better teams are more likely to get in behind us more often, so maybe not. It's nowhere near as clear cut as a lot of you are making out, though.

For the record, my comments were not necessarily that he’s bad at defending, I just think Connor Coady is the better defender of the two.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

It's way too harsh (and inaccurate) to state he's bad at defending. He's bad in any scenario that involves him running back to goal, yes, but bad at defending full stop? No, not having that.

There have been countless occasions this season that he's demonstrated great anticipation, stood strong and made good tackles, won headers. Who'd have seen that one coming?

Would he be a wise selection for us in the Premier League? I'm not sure either way. Better teams are more likely to get in behind us more often, so maybe not. It's nowhere near as clear cut as a lot of you are making out, though.

Sorry but more occasions than not….Jannik has shown that he isn’t intelligent enough to sniff out danger (when he can see the whole pitch as the central/sweeper CB) and often finds himself in questionable positions that then heighten his complete lack of mobility.

Look at defenders who CAN defend that don’t have pace, they read the game so much better than Jannik, he has been great in the high possession football but when his defending gets questioned, he has often shown he leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iancognito said:

Multiple managers stretches it a bit far.

He was signed by Mark Hughes who was sacked 3 months later with Saints in the bottom 3.

Hassenhuttl came in and he only played 19 games the following season.

It'll end up like the Cags situation, wishing him well as he departs on a free (cue Rudkin handing out a 5 year extension on Tuesday morning)

You don't consider the Bundesliga a higher division?

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I think those games is where we use the squad, Coady is the better defender and I would play him over Vestergaard.

Vestergaard would be the preferred starter against teams where they will sit back and we will have a lot of the ball, but Coady and even Souttar will be better options against the top teams.

This season we have two players for each position and we have to be careful to use each player in a role and against the opponent that they are most suited.

I honestly don't think Enzo sees it that way.  Vesty is a core guy for him, and he's not going to bench him for the key matches on the calendar.

24 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The redemption arc continues!

For a native Danish speaker he has great vocabulary and pronunciation!
Honestly didn't see this turnaround coming, but fair dues. He's made himself vital to the team and long may it continue.

• Like 4

Don’t get me wrong he had been a disaster transfer up until this season but he’s one of the few guys who you can’t even blame for last season. I’m not going to worry about whether or not he can step up to the Prem. should just enjoy watching him stroll around like Maldini 

• Like 2

I love tall players. My favourite players are always the likes of Pogba, Yaya Toure, Nzonzi, Busquets etc. Tall guys over 6'2 with impeccable technique combined with great physical strength and high IQ. Hence I feel bad for Vestergaard that's he's a defender. If he grew up and was coached to be a CM he might be a better player. Yes he's not as quick as the aforementioned but you can get away with not being quick I'm midfield.

19 minutes ago, Koke said:

I love tall players. My favourite players are always the likes of Pogba, Yaya Toure, Nzonzi, Busquets etc. Tall guys over 6'2 with impeccable technique combined with great physical strength and high IQ. Hence I feel bad for Vestergaard that's he's a defender. If he grew up and was coached to be a CM he might be a better player. Yes he's not as quick as the aforementioned but you can get away with not being quick I'm midfield.

This is kind of true mate.

That horrible video of Youri carrying a caravan on his back whilst tracking back against West Ham highlights the lack of athleticism gets punished anywhere across the pitch at times (at any level).

39 minutes ago, Koke said:

He did start out as a midfielder but you’re right his pace is a huge problem in that position.

On 09/10/2023 at 06:32, SafewayFox said:

I totally agree with focusing on the now and merely challenging what appears a growing theme on here about offering Jannik a new deal based on this season.

However, next season if we get promoted we wouldn’t have a single team park the bus.

Which is when Jannik running back towards his goal would highlight his frailties, watch the Cov game back to see how easily exposed he was as recent evidence is what I’m trying to highlight.

Nope... no deal.  He was SHIT in the prem

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Poor today, have watched him and Faes be bullied and dragged around the pitch these last two games. 

He wasn’t that bad, his passing wasn’t as good as it has been but considering the pace of their attack and the fact that going 1-0 up meant they could play on the break, they didn’t actually create that much. It was more we created very little going forward.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

He wasn’t that bad, his passing wasn’t as good as it has been but considering the pace of their attack and the fact that going 1-0 up meant they could play on the break, they didn’t actually create that much. It was more we created very little going forward.

I felt him and Faes were pulled around the pitch a lot, amount of times I'd see one or the other sprinting back to position half lost the first ball or so on. I felt similar against Sunderland, teams try and move the pair of the away from our structure. 

But you're correct with the passing and biggest issues being first up the field rather than anything huge at the back. 

• Like 1