Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

1 minute ago, Claridge said:

Did Faes even play in the last two games:ph34r:

I should've corrected that as last 2 home games, so my bad there. 

Whilst they're great in possession, most of Vestergaards cross field passes were (again) brilliant. 

I've noted in two of our toughest games (Sunderland/Leeds) that the opposition will drag either of them out of position and open up huge spaces during the attack. 

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I should've corrected that as last 2 home games, so my bad there. 

Whilst they're great in possession, most of Vestergaards cross field passes were (again) brilliant. 

I've noted in two of our toughest games (Sunderland/Leeds) that the opposition will drag either of them out of position and open up huge spaces during the attack. 

Happened all season, we have had a few games that we could of drawn, but the opposition has not been good enough to capitalise on it. For the amount of possession we have it doesn't feel as if we create enough chances either, but we have still made a fantastic start so its hard to argue

3 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I've thought about this long and hard since last night.  I think we should be looking to extend his contract. 

It's still something i can't get my head around, but this guy has transformed both his game and ours since the start of the season. Coady's injury is actually one of the best things that happened to us pre season.

We were told that the Leeds front 4 are the paciest threat in the league, and the closest threat we will see to a PL front 4. IMO, Vestergaard didn't looked hugely troubled by the pace threat. I think at times he sat a little deeper but he dealt with a tough game admirably. He didn't feel like a compromise yesterday, and other than defending well still had good distribution, especially that ball to Fatawu in the first half.

Go ahead - mock me. But i think we can do much worse than this.

Oh go on then "I Mock you" 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I've thought about this long and hard since last night.  I think we should be looking to extend his contract. 

It's still something i can't get my head around, but this guy has transformed both his game and ours since the start of the season. Coady's injury is actually one of the best things that happened to us pre season.

We were told that the Leeds front 4 are the paciest threat in the league, and the closest threat we will see to a PL front 4. IMO, Vestergaard didn't looked hugely troubled by the pace threat. I think at times he sat a little deeper but he dealt with a tough game admirably. He didn't feel like a compromise yesterday, and other than defending well still had good distribution, especially that ball to Fatawu in the first half.

If he's willing to accept a pay cut and be a back up perhaps, I just think he's not really premier league standard (yes he played a bit for Southampton but that's a defence that conceded 9 in a single game in two successive seasons) and given the amount of reinforcements we'll need, the freed up wages and squad spaces are more valuable in the prem than he would be

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Unfortunately, I disagree. Yes, he's been brilliant this season, but if we get promoted, we should be looking at better, and considering the wage he's on, I think we can do a lot better. However, if he was willing to take a wage cut compared to his last contract in the Premier League (which I doubt he would), I would be more inclined to agree.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JonesLCFC said:

Unfortunately, I disagree. Yes, he's been brilliant this season, but if we get promoted, we should be looking at better, and considering the wage he's on, I think we can do a lot better. However, if he was willing to take a wage cut compared to his last contract in the Premier League (which I doubt he would), I would be more inclined to agree.

I aint going to shy around it, in fact stand in his corner & shout it out!!

Vesty would every right to ask for a wage increase, When we get promoted. 

So far one of the main stays & reasons, for our success.. 

• Like 3

I'm with others, the defence wasn't the issue. They scored a scrappy goal. They kept us at arms length as well and unfortunately we didn't have an answer. It was our attacking play that wasn't cutting through then that was issue. Vards had no service/poor game. Casadei was poor. We really missed Ndidi. We need to be attacking at pace and taking players on more regularly.

Vesty wasn't the issue, neither was the defence. It was the last third where it didn't work. 

• Like 4

Of course the defence was an issue how can posters ignore the defence and lay blame all on attack when the defence has been the start of the attack in the other 14 games, with Vestergaard apparently, the people’s champion for this.

They were put under pressure and weren’t allowed to walk the ball to the halfway line to thread a ball through to the opposition box for an 8 to run onto.

They (including Faes) lost composure under pressure and if not for Ricardo would have been heavily punished.

Collectively as a team we weren’t great but not everything can be put on the attack for mustering only the 1 shot on target, + Fatawu’s effort + they did match Leeds for overall efforts, & then allow the defence to be absolved of any blame when as mentioned in the system the defence starts the attacks.

As an aside and as it’s a Vestergaard thread I can get on board with the long diagonal balls that he does but it’s his almost lazy sideways passes that he telegraphs where it’s going and which just about make it I can’t get on board with it’s just a matter of time before these are intercepted, by an aggressive press, or held up on a wet pitch.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2023 at 05:18, Chelmofox said:

Yes, because they let us have the ball. Vestergaard would be embarrassed in the PL…again. 

• Like 1

As good as he is we really need to get CC starting ..  the man was brought here  because not only is he a great footballer but he is the man with steel down his spine we badly needed last season.   Get him in !!

Edited by Countryfox
  • Like 1

On 04/11/2023 at 12:18, Chelmofox said:

I normally agree with a lot of your posts but see this totally differently.

Firstly, I need to say that Leeds (begrudgingly) deservedly beat us on Friday night BUT that wasn’t because of the “pacy” strikers.

I think that all the credit your post gives Leeds strikers being the closest to PL quality is so far off the mark.

I will break down that rationale by simply saying the following -

James was a laughing stock at Man Utd, Fulham couldn’t wait to get rid and Championship football is likely his level with pace to burn but zero end product.

Rutter before Friday night had scored 2 goals in the Championship so again (fair to say) a tad overrated on here.

Summerville is probably the best of the 3 but is he any better than a Palace/Bournemouth winger? Probably not.

So saying that based on the above, Jannik is PL quality is too much of a stretch for me.

As I keep saying, thank him (hopefully) for his part in getting us promoted and let him get a (last) half decent signing on fee somewhere else.

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SafewayFox said:

I normally agree with a lot of your posts but see this totally differently.

Firstly, I need to say that Leeds (begrudgingly) deservedly beat us on Friday night BUT that wasn’t because of the “pacy” strikers.

I think that all the credit your post gives Leeds strikers being the closest to PL quality is so far off the mark.

I will break down that rationale by simply saying the following -

James was a laughing stock at Man Utd, Fulham couldn’t wait to get rid and Championship football is likely his level with pace to burn but zero end product.

Rutter before Friday night had scored 2 goals in the Championship so again (fair to say) a tad overrated on here.

Summerville is probably the best of the 3 but is he any better than a Palace/Bournemouth winger? Probably not.

So saying that based on the above, Jannik is PL quality is too much of a stretch for me.

As I keep saying, thank him (hopefully) for his part in getting us promoted and let him get a (last) half decent signing on fee somewhere else.

I couldn't quite reconcile it with myself when I was writing it. I can't work out if i am deluded or forward thinking. I've been horribly ill with the nastiest cold i've had for years, so that's probably clouding my judgement. Maybe need to give it a few more games :D

• Haha 1

The issues were threefold:

-Two number 8s didn't do the job needed of them: KDH and Casadei didn't show for or use the ball well which put us under pressure. Casadei was basically the kid on the team everyone knows not to pass to meaning Faes, Ricardo had a difficult night.

- Vardy/Iheanacho dropped deep to link (seemingly on orders) and this further highlighted that casadei and KDH didn't make it in to the box or use the ball well in the final 3rd.

- Quality and timing of balls Into the box was not great. Mavididi and Fatawu played well but were tentative on playing the ball into the box because we didn't have the 4 people in the box we should've done. That needs worked on. 

I think having mcateer, yunus, ndidi available has kept things competitive up to now in attacking midfield and with them not there we don't have that extra 10% performance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Definitely on par with Soyuncu, in terms of having great potential but letting himself down unnecessarily at times.

I find the comparisons between Cags and Faes quite lazy.

I tend to forget when Faes was named in the Bundesliga and Premier League Team of the Season.🙈

Cags clearly has(had) his faults but how Rodgers did him dirty is still one of my biggest gripes towards him.

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 3