Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

On 26/11/2023 at 01:01, Vlad the Fox said:

I couldn’t make it today so followed the action on the match thread and bbc sports app, you can’t imagine the images conjured up when the live text reported that “Vestergaard caught offside from Mavadidi through ball” lol 

Fair play to him though, treated like shit by the previous manager but has come in and been superb, one of the first names on the team sheet now. 

Wait a minute.  Treated like shit?

Lets rewind.  Vestergaard in his first season plays ten PL games which is at least half a dozen too many.  He is finally dropped after making himself unselectable after several comedy performances.  I don't recall a single dissenting voice on this forum.

Pre season 22/23, Fulham come in for him.  Hallelujah!  But wait.  Jannick, having been told that he has no future at the club would rather sit on his titanic arse and collect his unearned wages, surely in the full knowledge of our financial predicament and is also happy to sacrifice his world cup place in the process.   He knew that if he stayed he wouldn't play and if he left he would.

I'd say that he treated the club like shit.

I really shouldn't press the button here....

...but I can't hep it.

• Like 2

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Brendan hounded him for a year to sign, the club offer him a contract that they see as acceptable to them, he signs and is then left out in the cold.

Why would you leave your home to

take a pay cut? 

Because you want to play? 
Every time a player isn’t playing, we tend to jump to they’ve been treated like shit - See Iheanacho, Mendy etc.

The reality is only a certain number of players can play, and sometimes a manger doesn’t trust you - for Vesty that was based on his in field performances in the PL.

If he wanted to play he could have left, he had many opportunities on the table but chose to stay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Because you want to play? 
Every time a player isn’t playing, we tend to jump to they’ve been treated like shit - See Iheanacho, Mendy etc.

The reality is only a certain number of players can play, and sometimes a manger doesn’t trust you - for Vesty that was based on his in field performances in the PL.

If he wanted to play he could have left, he had many opportunities on the table but chose to stay.

It’s not just as simple as wanting to play though is it. Personal situations, long term wages etc.

You can’t argue that he wasn’t treated like shit surely. 

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s not just as simple as wanting to play though is it. Personal situations, long term wages etc.

You can’t argue that he wasn’t treated like shit surely. 

Not being played, when you have let the side down repeatedly I don’t think is being treated like shit.

He’s been absolutely fantastic this season, and I’m pleased he’s proving many people wrong, but let’s not hide from the fact he was awful when he played last season and didn’t deserve to be playing.

Long term wages, yes he may have had to take a pay cut, but let’s not put him on the poverty line here, he would have still picked up ridiculously good wages. If he felt he was being treated like shit, surely his personal situation would have been made better by leaving? 
At the end of the day, he chose to stay knowing exactly where his position within the squad was.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Brendan hounded him for a year to sign, the club offer him a contract that they see as acceptable to them, he signs and is then left out in the cold.

Why would you leave your home to

take a pay cut? 

Do we know he would have had to take a pay cut?  Even if Fulham were offering less, we were keen to recoup our outlay and I would think that we would make up the difference to get it over the line, if that was a deal breaker.

Also, leave his home?  We're talking about Fulham, not Fenerbache.  it's an hour on the train.  He wouldn't have to move anywhere and who says he lives in Leicester anyway?   I'm sure that many of our current squad commute further.

Finally, if he was left in the cold it was because he had proven to be not fit for purpose.  That is not treating him like shit. 

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Do we know he would have had to take a pay cut?  Even if Fulham were offering less, we were keen to recoup our outlay and I would think that we would make up the difference to get it over the line, if that was a deal breaker.

Also, leave his home?  We're talking about Fulham, not Fenerbache.  it's an hour on the train.  He wouldn't have to move anywhere and who says he lives in Leicester anyway?   I'm sure that many of our current squad commute further.

Finally, if he was left in the cold it was because he had proven to be not fit for purpose.  That is not treating him like shit. 

We knew what we were signing surely? Or did we just sign someone without knowing anything about them?

Edited by Costock_Fox

16 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Turned a deal in January (Hertha) as he literally had a baby days old. 

So August his wife would have been midway through a pregnancy. 

I get it - as much as it done him internationally 

It's not the wife that would have had to play for Fulham, so I don't really see the problem.  He wouldn't have to relocate or anything.  

He chose to sit out his contract. Let's not tie ourselves up in knots trying to spin it any other way.  Some might not have any problem with it. but personally it is something I struggle to understand and have zero respect for.  His intransigence cost us more than just money.  We couldn't play him and whilst he was stealing a wage, we couldn't replace him.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, murphy said:

It's not the wife that would have had to play for Fulham, so I don't really see the problem.  He wouldn't have to relocate or anything.  

He chose to sit out his contract. Let's not tie ourselves up in knots trying to spin it any other way.  Some might not have any problem with it. but personally it is something I struggle to understand and have zero respect for.  His intransigence cost us more than just money.  We couldn't play him and whilst he was stealing a wage, we couldn't replace him.

Actually think it's quite admirable if that was his reason. Wanted a settled family and a happy wife who are probably there for him everyday as opposed to appeasing a fanbase that treat him like shit as soon as he has a bad game is probably quite an easy decision tbh.

Personally have quite a lot of respect for footballers that put their families first.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

1 minute ago, murphy said:

But why would you?  Just to play a bit of football?  Captain of Munchengladbach, Southampton and his country, he's achieved all he necessarily needs to at his age, why even commute to London with all that hassle for potentially less money. What's the carrot there at Fulham?

Or, stay at home with your young family, go to training, get a good wage and have a life, particularly if you feel miffed in the way you've been treated in the first place by an incompetent manager who'd pursued you in the first place! It really is just a job and a contract is a two way street lest we forget. 

Unless another deal was highly attractive financially and let's face it, Fulham, Berlin or Anderlecht are hardly big time either when it comes to football expectations, he's done exactly what was best for him and his family, why wouldn't he? 

He's played a blinder. His renaissance under Maresca has been good. He's earned very good wages and his performances have put him in the shop window for when his contract expires whereupon he can leave on a free and perhaps get a signing on fee.

He didn't steal a wage at all. Leicester City gave him a contract and certain expectations which, through Rodgers initially,  subsequently put him in a particular position where he had to make some choices. He merely chose what was best for him and his family. I'd have done exactly the same. I certainly wouldn't go and kick a football somewhere else potentially for less money or move my young family 'yet again' just to appease a badly run club (at the time) or a few poxy supporters to whom I have no affinity to. Good luck to the guy who as it turns out, is probably one of our current players of the season who, if we get promoted, will have earned his wages and been largely responsible for a big part of the success. I can happily settle for that. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

But why would you?  Just to play a bit of football?  Captain of Munchengladbach, Southampton and his country, he's achieved all he necessarily needs to at his age, why even commute to London with all that hassle for potentially less money. What's the carrot there at Fulham?

Or, stay at home with your young family, go to training, get a good wage and have a life, particularly if you feel miffed in the way you've been treated in the first place by an incompetent manager who'd pursued you in the first place! It really is just a job and a contract is a two way street lest we forget. 

Unless another deal was highly attractive financially and let's face it, Fulham, Berlin or Anderlecht are hardly big time either when it comes to football expectations, he's done exactly what was best for him and his family, why wouldn't he? 

He's played a blinder. His renaissance under Maresca has been good. He's earned very good wages and his performances have put him in the shop window for when his contract expires whereupon he can leave on a free and perhaps get a signing on fee.

He didn't steal a wage at all. Leicester City gave him a contract and certain expectations which, through Rodgers initially,  subsequently put him in a particular position where he had to make some choices. He merely chose what was best for him and his family. I'd have done exactly the same. I certainly wouldn't go and kick a football somewhere else potentially for less money or move my young family 'yet again' just to appease a badly run club (at the time) or a few poxy supporters to whom I have no affinity to. Good luck to the guy who as it turns out, is probably one of our current players of the season who, if we get promoted, will have earned his wages and been largely responsible for a big part of the success. I can happily settle for that. 

If I put myself into Jannick's size thirteens. I would absolutely look to leave where I knew I wasn't wanted.   It doesn't sit well with me to continue to take a wage after having failed so badly to earn it.  It's parasitic.  Especially when you have other options but choose to sacrifice your career.  Where is the self-respect? 

I love how Vestegaard was completely diplomatic about it, and avoided the question almost entirely yet the Daily Record and a lesser known Leicester fan site have the headline "Foxes star reignites feud with Rodgers"

Not saying it's Owynn's fault for how tabloid journalists want to try and loosely interpret for clickbait, but not letting the question drop when he clearly didn't want to answer it and Vesty seeing those headlines. I can't see him doing any more. 

With the recent history Radio Leicester have with player access, you'd think they need to be a bit better than this. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, murphy said:

If I put myself into Jannick's size thirteens. I would absolutely look to leave where I knew I wasn't wanted.   It doesn't sit well with me to continue to take a wage after having failed so badly to earn it.  It's parasitic.  Especially when you have other options but choose to sacrifice your career.  Where is the self-respect? 

When being practical it's nothing to do with self respect though is it? It's about family and money first, always. He's hardly sacrificing his career anyway, he's had a great one. His other 'options' clearly weren't that good or he'd have gone!

Also, even if he knew he wasn't wanted, essentially it was merely by one man and it didn't really take a brain of Britain to work out he wouldn't be there much longer. He probably even likes the club, the facilities and his playing colleagues too? 

Why rush and make a bad decision just because a clearly incompetent manager doesn't like you and has his own agenda. Turns out he made the right decision for him didn't he! He's done well and I'm sure he couldn't couldn't give a monkey's toss if some supporter thinks he's parasitic because he's done well out of making the right decision. It's just a job, he's not a supporter. 

To be fair the issue wasn't that Rodgers didn't play him. It's that he followed the guy around for 18 months begging him to come to us, when he finally does come for £15 million and 80k a week, Rodgers then decides he's not good enough. 

The more I think about Rodgers time here the more I'm convinced he'd had enough and was just tanking us to get his payout.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

To be fair the issue wasn't that Rodgers didn't play him. It's that he followed the guy around for 18 months begging him to come to us, when he finally does come for £15 million and 80k a week, Rodgers then decides he's not good enough. 

The more I think about Rodgers time here the more I'm convinced he'd had enough and was just tanking us to get his payout.

Some player stories about him are just so strange. Telling them one thing and then doing completely the opposite. I can't work out what his end game is or was. Seems like he's done it everywhere. 

I definitely think when benefitted from his huge reputation when he first came in and that was 100% needed because the big players in our dressing room never respected the likes of Puel enough. A lot still speak really highly of him so I'm at a real loss as to what to make of him. Goes from fraud to best coach ever to some.