Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

The pending sin-bin idea will be another hindrance to Vestergaard as it will be used for cynical fouls, those so called “professional” take one for the team fouls.

He’s currently got the most yellows in the team I think he sits at 8, I know a few were for professional fouls were he’s pulled the forward back as not to get in a foot race, going forward he could be spending 10minutes in the bin on a few games.

I quite like the ideal of sin-bins but Its going to be a tough call to manage because the first thing a forward will do now is hit the deck & pundits will clear them by saying yes he put an arm on his shoulder or there was slight contact, but hopefully they will be dished out for cheating and feigning a foul.

1 hour ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

He’s proved a lot of us wrong. Bloody love the bloke now. He’s a possible player of the season at the moment in my view 

For me he's hands down the POTS so far. His consistency has been unreal. In fact, I think he's getting better (he seems to win everything in the air now and gets a foot in Faes style than he did early season)

Even allowing for Winks and Hermansen and Wilf and KDH

• Like 3

Forget the past, this season so far he's been our best player, I think he's not had a bad game yet, perhaps been mediocre in a game or two but good to brilliant in the rest of the games. This opinion is widely shared, as evident from the consistently high match ratings he receives in the threads.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Ridiculous cross field pass for their first goal

It was, I agree. What makes it so notable is how few poor decisions he makes..in fact, you could probably count on one hand how many dangerous mistakes he's made this season....for a man that has almost always the highest pass stats on every game. 

He's been outstanding and I hope he sensed tonight how pleased the crowd were for him that he scored. He deserves all the good vibes he gets. 

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Ridiculous cross field pass for their first goal. Gave them all the time in the world to attack it.  Coady didn’t cover himself in glory either. He also looked vulnervale

a few times in first half. Won’t be any use if we go up. 

It’s not just his passing/ distribution that has made him stand out this season…. He’s defended exceptionally well too…. I don’t see why he shouldn’t be able to do well in the PL, should we go up?  I mean, he’s got plenty of experience of the league…. It’s your opinion, but I find it a little odd!

Agreed though, his cross field pass was a shocker 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

It was, I agree. What makes it so notable is how few poor decisions he makes..in fact, you could probably count on one hand how many dangerous mistakes he's made this season....for a man that has almost always the highest pass stats on every game. 

He's been outstanding and I hope he sensed tonight how pleased the crowd were for him that he scored. He deserves all the good vibes he gets. 

Bingo.

On top of that, he also reads the game state superbly. IE when to quicken up the pace, when to slow it down. Yes, sometimes slowing it down is necessary, even though with us most of the time it's the other way round.

You can tell he started as a CDM. He would have got moved out of that position because he's not mobile, and I bet not that good with his back to goal in the midfield area. But in this position, the game is always ahead of him, and he can see everything. He will be able to do this in the Premier League against teams where we have more possession, and we will do against teams in the bottom 10.

Teams that play on the transition he may struggle against, but it won't just be him that struggles, we will struggle as a team. This is why Man City make cynical challenges high up the field, then use Kyle Walker to bail them out of trouble on the break, and worst case scenario, tell Ederson to charge out of goal and slide tackle players. Even if you put a much faster player that Vestergaard, the way we play, we will still be vulnerable.

Millwall did threaten on the break, but that's why Maresca changed Coady not Vestergaard. Those threats are almost always from the wide players and not from the central striker.

Haaland will murder him, but news flash, he murders most defenders.

Edited by StriderHiryu

Yeah the daft crossfield ball to Coady was about the only foot he put wrong today, which if you watch it back he immediately put his hand up and apologised and took responsibility (makes a change from all the finger pointing and blaming others the entire side did last season) but even then think Coady could do better than get bullied by the wing back in the air.

Distribution was as always very good picked the right times to play a pass between the lines and to keep it when it wasn't on, defended well, in particular the one in the first half where he was 1 on 1 with the centre forward and forced him off balance to put it unthreateningly wide.

Also enjoying the fact he is now a threat almost every game at the other end from set pieces which should be a given for a man of his stature but hasn't been in the past. Was being grapled on almost every corner and still caused trouble and popped up with a valuable goal.

Said it back in September in this thread (think it was after Rotherham away) that this guy is too good for this league and Coady will never get his place back and think I was fairly routinely mocked. He played for years in the Prem for Southampton who routinely finished in the position we would be hoping to finish next year, so see no reason to not give him a year or 2 extension to see what he can do under Enzo in the Prem. Whenever he looked truly exposed under Rodegrs was when we played an obscenely high line, this style of football plays more to his strengths and exposes his weaknesses less, albeit a lack of pace in the backline could be a concern later down the line. And if he doesn't want to hang around after this year, then fine we move on but the redemption both from his personal pride and the love he now gets from (most) of the fans is a nice turnaround for a guy who looked done at the club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Cult hero.

In what was a very unlikeable bunch last season (and a few before that) Jannik has emerged very likeable and hard working, perhaps that's where he was going wrong and didn't fit in previously....

I'd be interested what he has to say as to how Rodgers set up the team and his role in it and what he thinks went wrong