Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

1 hour ago, Foxy DK said:

I wonder how those who think he won’t make it in PL explain his career before we bought him? Not that I’m certain we won’t need an upgrade, but to rule him out entirely seems a little premature

He has found his feet here, I understand it is a level below but you can see he fits the way Enzo plays and actually is also doing the basics well at the back too 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 1

Guest glasgowfox

My opinion is he will not get enough time on the ball to play tippy tippy tippy in the premier league and he is slower than me and I am 58 and use a walking stick.  Whilst we have the best defensive record in the league, imo this is more down to woeful finishing by the opposition than great defending.

15 minutes ago, glasgowfox said:

My opinion is he will not get enough time on the ball to play tippy tippy tippy in the premier league and he is slower than me and I am 58 and use a walking stick.  Whilst we have the best defensive record in the league, imo this is more down to woeful finishing by the opposition than great defending.

Nah he is actually good with his feet, watch Denmark and yes had a terrible time in the PL with us, but anyone under Rodgers would.. he actually is a solid defender and got some skill 

Guest glasgowfox
47 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Nah he is actually good with his feet, watch Denmark and yes had a terrible time in the PL with us, but anyone under Rodgers would.. he actually is a solid defender and got some skill 

I agree mate but he would need to stop wearing his lead boots if we get promoted 😉 

23 minutes ago, glasgowfox said:

We all just have to wait…Vesty can like slowcoach Bobby Moore use his positioning prowess. Now he’s having a strong season,I won’t judge his future until the new challenge has to be faced..Plus he is back in the Danish squad,so we will see him before next season begins..and at a different level, plus not under the same system set up. Why make demotivating remarks,he’s picked himself up,brushed himself down & produced a solid strong period & situation for himself.

Next year he will have learnt more about himselg,and see him work his experience,

and produce

# top moments in defending

# Deft moments interfacing to initiating linking with his midfield

# He works well with all his defensive teammates

#Both he and Faes have also made themselves special with some great long  
   Diagonal ball,starting periods of Mavadidi or Fatauwu magic..

# He is now turned out to be a presence in the oppo box

# He has shown he can score goals .

5 would be a good stat. 6-8 Xmas gravy in spring

≠≠ Like all defenders eventually finds himself put on the spot

being asked questions & not always finding solution

Dodgy moments are in a CBs DNA.

≠≠  From his side ,fewer slips/hiccups than within his career

Our top defensive record has often ( not alway)been thanks to him

≠≠≠ Like all his squad teammates, they have not had any end of gameday

sleepless  nights for 2-3 seasons

,his positive participation has been massive

And MAY LONG IT CONTINUE 

• Like 2

Guest glasgowfox
5 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

We all just have to wait…Vesty can like slowcoach Bobby Moore use his positioning prowess. Now he’s having a strong season,I won’t judge his future until the new challenge has to be faced..Plus he is back in the Danish squad,so we will see him before next season begins..and at a different level, plus not under the same system set up. Why make demotivating remarks,he’s picked himself up,brushed himself down & produced a solid strong period & situation for himself.

Next year he will have learnt more about himselg,and see him work his experience,

and produce

# top moments in defending

# Deft moments interfacing to initiating linking with his midfield

# He works well with all his defensive teammates

#Both he and Faes have also made themselves special with some great long  
   Diagonal ball,starting periods of Mavadidi or Fatauwu magic..

# He is now turned out to be a presence in the oppo box

# He has shown he can score goals .

5 would be a good stat. 6-8 Xmas gravy in spring

≠≠ Like all defenders eventually finds himself put on the spot

being asked questions & not always finding solution

Dodgy moments are in a CBs DNA.

≠≠  From his side ,fewer slips/hiccups than within his career

Our top defensive record has often ( not alway)been thanks to him

≠≠≠ Like all his squad teammates, they have not had any end of gameday

sleepless  nights for 2-3 seasons

,his positive participation has been massive

And MAY LONG IT CONTINUE 

Wow what a post....he is great at scoring with his shoulder but still runs in treacle....personally do not think he is quick enough for the premier league if or when we get there. Let's be honest international football is played at a lot slower pace than the premier  league.  I would be delighted to be the first to say I got it wrong next season but do not think I would be the only one in the queue that got it wrong.

2 hours ago, glasgowfox said:

Wow what a post....he is great at scoring with his shoulder but still runs in treacle....personally do not think he is quick enough for the premier league if or when we get there. Let's be honest international football is played at a lot slower pace than the premier  league.  I would be delighted to be the first to say I got it wrong next season but do not think I would be the only one in the queue that got it wrong.

But that’s always my major point,why be bothered about creating,joining then staying in such Queues…Waiting for someone to prove your own point,seems a waste to me…Opinions on present or period performance.revert to a players past,but when it’s going good, let it ride..

Rather encourage and be satisfied EOD. 

No browny points ,Fans side,only the participant can change their paths in all sport it’s the various quality that creates the interest,so long one show improvement and that will. He goes up a noche in my view..Short careers ending like Best or Gasgoine, scuppers their CV to be highly recognised..To high a self egoism and concentrated on one self..Diverse teammates having to carry the can..

Just putting another perspective on the table,helps also the doubting youth,knowing their are still decent levels to reach and be proud of. And opportunity to rub many pinshooters face into sand and humble pie.

I reckon I prefer to let subject get his full pounds of pay and time,before I will analyse their sports careers..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I laughed, but he didn’t score 9 own goals in that game… being serious he is a solid defender and does the basics good now which he wasn’t before… 

No, I'm with you. I couldn't resist posting it but I do admit, he's massively grown on me and I hope he can do a job as and when we get promoted because he's been great this season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, glasgowfox said:

He’s played 82 PL games and 185 in the Bundesliga. It’s not like he hasn’t shown anything at a high level before

I don’t think we’ll get a better player for his role if we are to be promoted, yes he’s limited by pace and struggles with the crosses into the box where he’s not close to his man. But I think the real issue is players not pressing out to the attacker who crosses the ball, we need pacy centrebacks along side him or the energy of someone like hamza to press to stop these kind of balls. 

his defending has actually been really good this season, I don’t see it changing much in the prem as much as the quality is higher, and I can see us continuing our possession game and it working until we play the big 6, which to be honest is all we can ask and hope for 

Guest glasgowfox
2 hours ago, Foxy DK said:

He’s played 82 PL games and 185 in the Bundesliga. It’s not like he hasn’t shown anything at a high level before

He certainly hasn't with us...

Would seem his overall game showing is elevating his FT FIFA scoring, he is better offensively than he is defensively, he has not suddenly turned into a ‘great’ defender now that Rodgers has gone.

He is doing the offensive part of the role well, looking after the ball, playing those passing through the lines or diagonal cross field pings but watching his defending alone nothing really stands out that shouldn’t be bread and butter for an average defender.

He lacks real composure when up against it, you can really see it in those Millwall, Sheff Wed, Leeds, Sunderland type games where there was a bit of mayhem in our box as teams push for a winner and the keystone cop comes into his game where he’s frantic and just slashes at the ball mindlessly, example West Brom just swings at the ball in 89th minute it flies out for a throw-in near our box which resulted in their goal, composure puts that ball over the halfway line and out for a throw which eats up time in a safe area.

That’s just 1 example but every single game this season I've said we need to score 3 goals just to look safe (even at 2 nil up) he is meant to be the organiser in that defence and panic breeds from him and a fast attack and a bit of pin ball in our box has me thinking goal.

I want to feel safe much like the title winning side, every time there was an attack I felt safe in the knowledge that Wes & gang will sort it out, we are the top team in a lower division and we look like conceding against every attack.

If this thread was in the transfer section & I didn’t know him I’d think we were getting VVD without pace such is the hype.

yes credit where credit is due & I’ll praise him for his offensive contributions but he is not a great defender and we certainly shouldn’t be thinking he’s someone we should have in the premier Lge.

26 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Those saying he won’t be good enough next season might get a surprise in January when we have a few phone calls about his availability for a fee (rather than a free) 

We can only hope. We paid money for him and chelsea paid £35 million for drinkwater. You've got to think someone would be stupid enough to pay for a defender who's contract is up in 6 months and proven himself to be poor to average at Prem level.

On 26/11/2023 at 02:01, Vlad the Fox said:

I couldn’t make it today so followed the action on the match thread and bbc sports app, you can’t imagine the images conjured up when the live text reported that “Vestergaard caught offside from Mavadidi through ball” lol 

Fair play to him though, treated like shit by the previous manager but has come in and been superb, one of the first names on the team sheet now. 

Funny how redemption arcs never fully convince the fanbase though.

Half the posts since yours are about the vindication of Rodgers' choice, him not being 'good enough' for the PL (which is ironic given that the two sides he's played for in the PL have been relegated without him having any or a negligible part in that) or him exploiting the club (a bizarre take in my opinion).

We're not saying Ricardo, Justin or Faes aren't PL standard despite playing a substantial amount of games during last season.

I had written him off too and didn't imagine for one second that a new manager would use him or that he wanted to stay. I'm glad it's worked out different this season and it's a more valuable story (and lesson maybe?) to the people watching on to see his approach reaping rewards. 

Well done to Jannik and the staff for turning it around (even if it took it's sweet time, hur hur hur).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

That’s just 1 example but every single game this season I've said we need to score 3 goals just to look safe (even at 2 nil up)...

we are the top team in a lower division and we look like conceding against every attack. 

3 goals to look safe? We have only conceded 2 goals once.

We've also conceded the fewest goals in the entirety of the football league, not just our division. 

I think you may be over reacting just a tad...

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

3 goals to look safe? We have only conceded 2 goals once.

We've also conceded the fewest goals in the entirety of the football league, not just our division. 

I think you may be over reacting just a tad...

We’ve won yes but out of the 21 games thus far how many have you felt really comfortable in & said yes this is done despite a good portion of the game remaining, even then Sheff W, Millwall & WBA proved we have a soft side with extra time goals.

I’m not sure there hasn’t been a game where I thought the opposition wouldn’t score, don’t let a few decent saves and some poor finishing gloss over that we can be got at.

10 hours ago, BKLFox said:

We’ve won yes but out of the 21 games thus far how many have you felt really comfortable in & said yes this is done despite a good portion of the game remaining, even then Sheff W, Millwall & WBA proved we have a soft side with extra time goals.

I’m not sure there hasn’t been a game where I thought the opposition wouldn’t score, don’t let a few decent saves and some poor finishing gloss over that we can be got at.

We're literally making points records as we go along and apart from maybe Leeds and Coventry, I don't even feel we've deserved to lose a single game.

Would you not have taken that after the way last season ended?

I'd much much rather have us play this way (which is incidentally proving very efficient in restricting the opposition in scoring), than us being defensive or gungho.

Of course we're vulnerable but notice how rarely the opposition can actually exploit this.

11 hours ago, BKLFox said:

The same teams with the poor finishing have played the other teams, yet all but 8 teams in the division have conceded literally more than double the amount we have. The next best defence in the league has conceded 50% more than we have. 

But yeah, you've said every game we need to score at least 3 to win, so it must be true.

Our fans man. 

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 2

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I'm not claiming to have had the foresight to predict this season's rise. 

However, with the benefit of hindsight, we now see an entirely different player to the one who played for us in the Prem under Rodgers.

He even looks like more of an athlete. He looked an absolute lump the majority of the time for us in the Prem, and that's before he attempted to win a header. 

He looks to have dropped a few pounds, and don't underestimate the miraculous powers of confidence. 

And as others have already alluded to, there's the Brendan Rodgers effect. I don't want to dwell on that rodent any longer than I need to, but it's evident from multiple player interviews spanning multiple clubs that ultimately he's an utterly untrustworthy, slimy, cockroach of a man.

When your manager is telling you one thing and doing another, it isn't conducive to passion, it isn't conducive to confidence, and it certainly doesn't provide the ideal environment for players on the fringes especially to thrive.

Will he be a good player for us in the prem? I don't know, could be. Might never find out. It's far too simplistic to say he's found his level, though. It isn't just the quality of the opposition that has changed. He can actually jump this season, for starters. About time more of us factor these things in when we talk about his performances for us in the prem.

• Like 1