Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

Whatever opinion that we have on `Vestegaard, as a team we have only conceded 14 goals in 21 games. Jannik has played every game and a huge part of our successful defence. Contrast to last season this is another huge turnaround that Maresca has provided for our team. 

Although, personally I am not Jannik's biggest fan, I would rather see Souttar in this position, just my opinion. I think we have more of an upside with Souttar playing, give him time to develop this season, threat in both penalty boxes, has a longer contract + resale value in the future, and I think he has done well when he plays for us. Jannik's passing is either great or poor. and I just think he is personally caught out too often. For example the Sheff Wed goal Jannik missed Hendrick's run across him, and any 1v1 situations he struggles with. Jannik was marginalised last year at the club, and deserves a lot of credit for turning his form around. 

• Like 1

On 14/12/2023 at 07:08, SafewayFox said:

Great post as always mate.

The question is…..who will be our Walker?

JJ pre-injury perhaps but he isn’t as rapid as Walker and his ability on the ball might not be up to scratch IMO.

We don’t need our Walker,or Our anything…

This is in these moment, we will see our own plazers..

We don’t need to replace Mahrez,or another our Peak Vardy..

We zneed Daka,Cannon,Fatawu, Justin Vestergaard & mark & to stamp

their own names upon the PL

We take our New Creared Leicester & present the new Enzoball show,

9 hours ago, Nod.E said:

The same teams with the poor finishing have played the other teams, yet all but 8 teams in the division have conceded literally more than double the amount we have. The next best defence in the league has conceded 50% more than we have. 

But yeah, you've said every game we need to score at least 3 to win, so it must be true.

Our fans man. 

Totally missing my point, I know the stats, I know we have the least goals conceded etc etc I am referring to comfortably seeing a game out & the fact we look nervous even when ahead especially when we don’t have a 2 goal gap.

Yes we look in control because we have possession but when it gets frantic we lose our shit.
It's in these times I get uncomfortable the scores have been 1:0, 2:0, 1:1, 2:1 in our favour (except drawing of course) now if the opposition score next in any of those situations they then are the team on the front foot as a goal usually gets a teams tail up. So in 2 of those scenarios (last 2) if they were to get that quick successive goal we would need 3 goals to win, in the 2nd scenario making it 2:1 they are now the team pushing for a draw to make it safe we would need to score a 3rd to knock the wind out of them, then in the the 1st scenario it becomes like the 3rd their tail is up and pushing for a 2nd, get it & we need 3 from a leading 1:0 position.

I know all that sounds like I’m having a stroke and it’s all hypothetical as it’s not happened but I’m not saying it has happened I’m saying we have not been comfortable in most games & trying to use those real situations we’ve been in to show it.

I think maybe the Southampton game has been the only & easiest game which we won early in the game due to how they approached us, for every other game it’s been a battle to win and we have relied on late goals to secure the points, most teams have always been only 1 goal from us to take points off us…ergo I feel we need to score 3 goals most games to basically knock the stuffing out of them and to feel comfortable, that is what I am saying, that ‘feeling’ of comfort during a game not post game when we have won.

ps…..& I have put it in this thread because he is meant to be the guiding defender in the back line and he is the most frantic when it comes to the ‘dig in’ backs to the wall part of a game.

On 17/12/2023 at 11:19, BKLFox said:

Totally missing my point, I know the stats, I know we have the least goals conceded etc etc I am referring to comfortably seeing a game out & the fact we look nervous even when ahead especially when we don’t have a 2 goal gap.

Yes we look in control because we have possession but when it gets frantic we lose our shit.
It's in these times I get uncomfortable the scores have been 1:0, 2:0, 1:1, 2:1 in our favour (except drawing of course) now if the opposition score next in any of those situations they then are the team on the front foot as a goal usually gets a teams tail up. So in 2 of those scenarios (last 2) if they were to get that quick successive goal we would need 3 goals to win, in the 2nd scenario making it 2:1 they are now the team pushing for a draw to make it safe we would need to score a 3rd to knock the wind out of them, then in the the 1st scenario it becomes like the 3rd their tail is up and pushing for a 2nd, get it & we need 3 from a leading 1:0 position.

I know all that sounds like I’m having a stroke and it’s all hypothetical as it’s not happened but I’m not saying it has happened I’m saying we have not been comfortable in most games & trying to use those real situations we’ve been in to show it.

I think maybe the Southampton game has been the only & easiest game which we won early in the game due to how they approached us, for every other game it’s been a battle to win and we have relied on late goals to secure the points, most teams have always been only 1 goal from us to take points off us…ergo I feel we need to score 3 goals most games to basically knock the stuffing out of them and to feel comfortable, that is what I am saying, that ‘feeling’ of comfort during a game not post game when we have won.

ps…..& I have put it in this thread because he is meant to be the guiding defender in the back line and he is the most frantic when it comes to the ‘dig in’ backs to the wall part of a game.

All of this is a round about way of simply saying we could close games out better, which I'd agree with. 

Even then, it's a recent trend. We panicked against Sheff Weds. In that game I think Choudhury came on too late and seemed nervous, and that seemed to spread. Since then I think we've just had the jitters late in games when we don't have it sealed, almost as a reaction to that experience.

I don't think it's any one player's shortcomings. It's just something that can happen after an unfortunate game. As a group they need to have the composure to keep making runs, finding the channels and not slashing at the ball in panic. 

We're splitting hairs, though. Ultimately we concede by far the fewest goals in the division and we score plenty as well. If a bit of end of game nerves is our biggest issue then we're doing alright.

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

All of this is a round about way of simply saying we could close games out better, which I'd agree with. 

Even then, it's a recent trend. We panicked against Sheff Weds. In that game I think Choudhury came on too late and seemed nervous, and that seemed to spread. Since then I think we've just had the jitters late in games when we don't have it sealed, almost as a reaction to that experience.

I don't think it's any one player's shortcomings. It's just something that can happen after an unfortunate game. As a group they need to have the composure to keep making runs, finding the channels and not slashing at the ball in panic. 

We're splitting hairs, though. Ultimately we concede by far the fewest goals in the division and we score plenty as well. If a bit of end of game nerves is our biggest issue then we're doing alright.

Margin of victory stats, for context: 

image.png.9b589289010273db85bd39bd290a15c2.png

Ipswich worse than us for the tight wins, and half as many bigger wins. Leeds 3 fewer comfortable wins. Southampton 4 fewer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Probably his worst 45 of the season for us. No way should that their player been able to get a shot off that near the goal. Some of his passing suspect 

crumbled at their first press. Failed to even jump to contest a throw into the box that wasn’t far off a goal. . And then disappeared for their first goal. That’s why I’m bored of hearing how he’s bossing this league. 

Edited by FLAN
Typo

Just now, BKLFox said:

@Nod.E @Les-TA-Jon considering the opposition do I say case rested on the 3 goals 🤷‍♂️ 

Also my thing on him personally people are arguing he is the most improved player now Rodgers has gone but it’s not his defending that comes to the fore, he is still a bang average defender!

Birmingham had their lowest xG of the season tonight. 

You can interpret that a number of ways. You'll say it highlights our poor defending that we still conceded 2. I think it was just two very good finishes, though.

That's the second time all season we've conceded more than 1 goal in the league.

I've seen plenty of very good defending from Vestergaard this season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

@Nod.E @Les-TA-Jon considering the opposition do I say case rested on the 3 goals 🤷‍♂️ 

Also my thing on him personally people are arguing he is the most improved player now Rodgers has gone but it’s not his defending that comes to the fore, he is still a bang average defender!

Maybe I didn’t read your comments closely enough. But my understanding was that your claim was ‘Leicester’s wins are too uncomfortable, too often this season’ 

the margin of victory table was to show that we’ve actually got more wins by 2+ goals than anyone else 

In fact I'm talking crap there.

xG is literally a measure of the quality of chances in games.

In other words, how good were the chances allowed to the opposition? A low number means either poor attacking play or good defending. Or both.

The number of actual goals scored depends on how the keeper performed and how well the chances were taken.

Both chances were just taken very well.

We've actually defended very well, as reflected in the statistics, and Vestergaard is a big part of that. He's been brilliant this season. Shows great anticipation, strong in the tackle, a man mountain in the air. And I think he organises really well back there as well. That's something I noticed against Millwall as I was sat closer to the action than I usually am, and could hear him barking instructions to those around him.

Edited by Nod.E

2 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Maybe I didn’t read your comments closely enough. But my understanding was that your claim was ‘Leicester’s wins are too uncomfortable, too often this season’ 

the margin of victory table was to show that we’ve actually got more wins by 2+ goals than anyone else 

Yeah I think it’s probably a misunderstanding, I don’t deny the actual results, we are winning and by better margins than most but i’m actually getting at that we are not comfortable in a game even when leading and it looks like we need 3 goals to put a game to bed….if teams really put us under the cosh and lump balls into the box etc the defence “looks” vulnerable Im not saying it “is” vulnerable because results say it’s not…

This then brings me to Vestergaard and I will put my hands up and say  he is doing the offensive side better than I thought he would but his defending is still ropey and in my eyes not worthy of a new contract because he flaps when pressed against championship sides, it will be mayhem in the premier Lge, he is getting away with it due to opposition.

• Like 2

I think pace is a factor with our entire back line tbh when all are fit, with none of Faes, Vesty or Doyle being particularly quick or mobile, i think you can get away with one, possibly two at prem level if there's someone quick to cover back, which may be an area addressed in January or the Summer. Or Enzo may sit us deeper at a higher level. Who knows? But I don't think Vestegaard stands out as a problem in this regard. They're all relatively slow.

I think EM’s game plan falls apart more often than not without Vestergaard.

He controls the play in our half. His passes break the lines consistently and this is something that allows us to turn the 10-20 passes into an attack; something we struggled with last season.

Whether he’ll be good enough next season is another question, but he’ll need replacing if not. Someone with his passing, along with pace and defensive ability will be hard to come by.

We could be more comfortable at 3-1 last night, I didn't feel 100% confident. Its usually a bad passage of play, last night had KDH and then Faes give the ball away, around maybe 55th minutes, we then give away corners look shaky concede. What I would say is I thought our response last night after the 2nd went in was a bit better, it's hard to judge the Millwall game as the 2nd went in so late, but it seemed more focused last night, if still not fully where it needs to be.

5 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

I think EM’s game plan falls apart more often than not without Vestergaard.

He controls the play in our half. His passes break the lines consistently and this is something that allows us to turn the 10-20 passes into an attack; something we struggled with last season.

Whether he’ll be good enough next season is another question, but he’ll need replacing if not. Someone with his passing, along with pace and defensive ability will be hard to come by.

I think this has been more so since Doyle has been out. Whilst Justin offers more pace his passing limitations often let us down, or more accurately the move breaks down and he passes back.