Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

8 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

But Enzo keeps picking Vestergaard over Coady.  If that continues to be the case through the 2nd half of the season it would seem mad not to renew him. I think its very likely he would have a resale value as well.

I'm not saying we should play Coady, though I am curious to see how good that would work, I'm saying Enzo clearly wasn't sold on Vestergaard until he was forced to use him

56 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'm not saying we should play Coady, though I am curious to see how good that would work, I'm saying Enzo clearly wasn't sold on Vestergaard until he was forced to use him

He was never 'forced' to use him though, was he? Souttar, Doyle, Faes, Justin (even Kristiansen) were all still available in his position when Coady got injured.

To me its obvious Vestergaard's profile was apparent to Enzo after a few training sessions.

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

See this is what I don't 100% agree with.

I agree with Strider, the things he's good at, he's VERY good at. I'd go so far as to say that, for a centre back, his touch, his dribbling (amazingly), his passing, his awareness of space, his reading of the game are all genuinely world class. If he had a bit more pace he wouldn't actually look out of place at Man City, where the expectations on him to defend for any great length of time would be small.

He's not found a place in the team because we've been relegated, in my opinion, he's found his place because we've got a new manager that's given him a different job, one he has the skillset for. Just posted something similar in the Patson Daka thread, I think people need to look past traditional understandings of some positions and accept that Maresca is looking for a 'skillset' more than just "CB", "ST", "DM", "RB", etc. Vestergaard has that skillset.

But I do agree - and I've just said as much - that if we get promoted he's going to need a better collective defence around him if we're going to keep carrying his defensive weaknesses. 

Like I said, nuance. 

Like you mentioned, you’re going to have to build a defense around him to mask his huge weaknesses in the PL. You shouldn’t sign a 30+ year old to a new contract taking all that into consideration.

BTW, I think he’s been very good in the Championship and if (when) we get promoted, he might even have been worth his transfer fee and contract but he’s just not a PL player, and that’s okay.

Edited by Phenom

Can’t out jump a player half his size, can’t sprint back when needed, turns his back on shots at our goal, looks good when playing his little balls forwards, sideways and backwards never have looked at him other than as someone that Southampton had our pants down when we signed him. Also can’t understand all them that have jumped over the fence to praise him when they where wanting him gone last season.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

Can’t out jump a player half his size, can’t sprint back when needed, turns his back on shots at our goal, looks good when playing his little balls forwards, sideways and backwards never have looked at him other than as someone that Southampton had our pants down when we signed him. Also can’t understand all them that have jumped over the fence to praise him when they where wanting him gone last season.

He's simply been integral to our performances and style this season.

Did you just ignore his quarterback pass to KDH first half which sent the latter through one on one?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

The good thing for players who are out of form or don’t fit in is that there’s Always Next Year 

• Haha 2

Fair play to anyone that reckons premier league teams are gonna let Vesty walk to the half way line with the ball and essentially do passing drills with his team mates. I'd also love to be so delusional.

That ball that led to KDH being brought down in the box was phenomenal. I can see Burnley signing him in the summer if they stick with Kompany when they go down. Massive weapon for any team that will look to dominate the ball at this level. 

Maybe we can have him on a dual registration and keep swapping him when we keep passing each other :D

37 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

One of the players of the season and this is your take. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but this is just wrong 

• Like 1

Massively unlucky the own goal, I thought he was excellent last night,  made a lot of key interceptions and tackles. His passing is excellent, he has looked a class above at this level and is absolutely perfect profile for how Enzo wants to play, however I am not sure he would be a definite starter next season in the prem, if he was to stay.