Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

3 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Was watching him very closely last night, from the stands. 

I though he was immense.

I have to hold my hands up, I though he was potentially our worse ever signing.

But this season, at this level, the man is fantastic.

however..... not sure he could cut it in the premier league, should we go up

I agree.

I am totally comfortable - more than any other player we have  - that the move / pass / feint / foot in he selects is the right one and one he'll execute. He's extraordinarily reliable 

• Like 1

The one time that Burns actually made an intelligent run (what PL strikers/wingers would do regularly) he was exposed and somehow got away without giving away a free kick in a very dangerous position (watch the replay back, Jannik took the lad out then moaned).

With VAR pretty much re refereeing a game…..he’d scare the life out of me.

No way would you want 3 out of 4 CB choices of Faes, Coady and Vestergaard playing this style of football in the PL.

Now if we moved Faes/Coady (don’t think you’d recoup enough for Coady) and offered Jannik a short term deal and had athletic CB’s to mask his deficiencies then it could be different story.

This thread makes for some mind-boggling reading. On one hand he is 'our best player' this season, on the other he is utterly 'woeful' at PL level.

There must be some division in between where he'd fit quite nicely :P

Yes, he was abject in the PL with us under Rodgers. Yes, he suits Maresca's style to a tee. 

I'd be comfortable having a settled team with a tested system if we get promoted.

We know his weaknesses, which can be mitigated to a certain extent, but this season has certainly shown his strengths - and I feel too many naysayers are glossing over this or saying 'he will never have the time on the ball'.

We've just spent a decade in the PL. It really isn't full of quality teams and (thankfully) most don't press anywhere near the level of Liverpool.

With Maresca at the helm, I think Vestergaard will be absolutely crucial to our chances of staying up (and pushing on) as mad as it may sound.

• Like 4

Just now, lcfc sheff said:

Be interested to see most people’s opinions on this but I’d like us to offer him a new deal. He’s perfect bar his pace for our team and would do a decent enough job in the prem 

I'm just not convinced, taking nothing away from him this season.  Even last night against a pretty woeful Burnley, Man City were bailed out the back a couple of times by the recovery pace of Aké.  

We do need more pace in the back line in my opinion.  Faes isn't particularly quick either. 

• Like 1

Vestergaard and Faes have been brilliant this season, but definitely have my reservations on them both next season (should we go up).

I think the quality gap between Prem and Championship is MASSIVE , its easy for certain players in the championship to look like world beaters but step up to the prem and be below par.

2 minutes ago, LFEFox23 said:

Vestergaard and Faes have been brilliant this season, but definitely have my reservations on them both next season (should we go up).

I think the quality gap between Prem and Championship is MASSIVE , its easy for certain players in the championship to look like world beaters but step up to the prem and be below par.

I've got more reservations over Vestergaard than Faes. With our high line I think Faes recovers fairly quickly but you can't teach pace and I'm imagining Haaland or Nunez running in behind Yannik. Stuff of nightmares!

38 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Be interested to see most people’s opinions on this but I’d like us to offer him a new deal. He’s perfect bar his pace for our team and would do a decent enough job in the prem 

Scary how quickly the difference in quality between the leagues has been forgotten. We'd be mad to offer him a new deal. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LFEFox23 said:

The quality gap between the top of the prem and the championships is massive but I think the top of the championship and bottom half of the prem are pretty close 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

A one year extension would be fine with me, anything more than that and I fear we will be in the same situation with him as before. Any other LCFC manager probably doesn't use him either.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2024 at 07:49, shen said:

This thread makes for some mind-boggling reading. On one hand he is 'our best player' this season, on the other he is utterly 'woeful' at PL level.

There must be some division in between where he'd fit quite nicely :P

Yes, he was abject in the PL with us under Rodgers. Yes, he suits Maresca's style to a tee. 

I'd be comfortable having a settled team with a tested system if we get promoted.

We know his weaknesses, which can be mitigated to a certain extent, but this season has certainly shown his strengths - and I feel too many naysayers are glossing over this or saying 'he will never have the time on the ball'.

We've just spent a decade in the PL. It really isn't full of quality teams and (thankfully) most don't press anywhere near the level of Liverpool.

With Maresca at the helm, I think Vestergaard will be absolutely crucial to our chances of staying up (and pushing on) as mad as it may sound.

I believe that he was unwilling to come to Leicester, for whatever reason. I also maintain that Rodgers and he didn't hit it off. I think that Rodgers had run out of ideas or interest at that point. New manager with fresh insight and a chance to begin again at a less challenging level. Abracadabra, he looks competent and confident. He took stick that Rodgers should have taken.

We have a team that, with reinforcement, should survive in the Prem. If we prosper (big if) then we could get back to knocking on the door to the antechamber in front of the room marked BIG SIX. Although who the f**k they are atm is anybody's guess. Big four more like. Oh, how i enjoy watching Yanited fail 😁

10 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Scary how quickly the difference in quality between the leagues has been forgotten. We'd be mad to offer him a new deal. 

I disagree. It didn’t work him under Rodgers because we were in terminal decline and the style didn’t suit his strengths. But now we have a style he’s perfectly suited to. 

IMO he’s so important to the style and tempo. A calm presence on the ball, and rarely puts a foot wrong.

Yes the PL is a clear upgrade, but I think we’d be mad to bin him off. I’d offer him a year or maybe two. I also think we won’t be able to bring that many in given the financial position, so it will be about making the most of what have already got.

The irony here is that I recon he walks on a free of his own accord, with us wanting to offer him a new deal.

I’ve been on the fence with what we should do with him but ultimately, for someone we wouldn’t pay a fee for, knows the place and fits very well into the system I think it makes sense to keep him from our POV but I suspect his contract becomes the issue and he walks.

8 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I disagree. It didn’t work him under Rodgers because we were in terminal decline and the style didn’t suit his strengths. But now we have a style he’s perfectly suited to. 

IMO he’s so important to the style and tempo. A calm presence on the ball, and rarely puts a foot wrong.

Yes the PL is a clear upgrade, but I think we’d be mad to bin him off. I’d offer him a year or maybe two. I also think we won’t be able to bring that many in given the financial position, so it will be about making the most of what have already got.

We can find someone else who can play the style though, he's not the only one that can spread the ball a bit. The new guy might be able to actually run as well!

• Haha 1

For continuity sake I would give him a one year extension if Enzo stays. Then see how he gets on in the premiership if we get there otherwise we have probably seen enough under Maresca to see that he is very useful under this system in the championship. That said he may be looking for more. Things change quickly sometimes. 

Everyone bangs on about him being slow; I don’t think he is. The bigger players always look slow even when they’re covering a lot of ground. I’d be interested to see the actual stats.

I just keeping thinking back to when we had Morgan and Wasyl as a CB pairing and we always deemed them dangerously slow, yet the facts told us they were two of the fastest sprinters in the league.

Been brilliant this year for us in the Championship, no doubt about it. 

He's not cut out for the press and pace of the Premier League unfortunately. 

We should let nature take it's course on this one. Let his contract run out. Actively recruit his (pacier) replacement, now, for the Summer

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Been brilliant this year for us in the Championship, no doubt about it. 

He's not cut out for the press and pace of the Premier League unfortunately. 

We should let nature take it's course on this one. Let his contract run out. Actively recruit his (pacier) replacement, now, for the Summer

That would mean we would need to buy two CBs unlikely we will use Vester, Faes and bring one more in I would imagine.

he only started 3 or so games last season so hard to judge if the pace will be to much for him esp if we are looking to be the one with the ball against Most teams

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

That would mean we would need to buy two CBs unlikely we will use Vester, Faes and bring one more in I would imagine.

he only started 3 or so games last season so hard to judge if the pace will be to much for him esp if we are looking to be the one with the ball against Most teams

I was judging Vestergaard in the Prem during his time at Southampton and us. It's not necessarily his straight line pace, it's his turning and explosive acceleration which seems to be the problem.

Don't get all the talk of not being good enough for the Prem. He played for Southampton in the Prem for 3 seasons and they finished mid to bottom half every year, as soon as they sold him they got relegated! He also played for 7 years in the Bundesliga and has near on 40 caps for Denmark, a team who always do well in big tournaments. 

You adjust the guys around him in terms of adding pace and dynamism into the back line. He is critical to the way Enzo wants to play and will likely continue to want to play. We have seen in the games he has played Coady who was originally signed for this exact job is levels behind big Vesty on the ball, and this is from a bloke who has played for 8 seasons as captain in a Wolves side who were top half or better pretty much every year.

The step up to the Prem is big as the likes of Burnley are finding out, but player for player our squad already is much stronger than theirs without even signing anyone. To think that half the team needs replacing is both unnecessary and unrealistic with budget constraints. 

If he wants to walk on a free and sign for a side playing in Europe then fair play, but I would look to tie him down for another year or 2.