Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

1 minute ago, gurru991 said:

I personally think that Faes is more than good enough for the Premier but with CBs it's all about the partnership. We saw it with Huth & Morgan, neither one was good enough for the Premier but together they were more than good enough. 

We just need to match Faes up with the right partner.

Hope you're right 👍

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Be interested to see most people’s opinions on this but I’d like us to offer him a new deal. He’s perfect bar his pace for our team and would do a decent enough job in the prem 

I would renew on a cut salary.

Its clear we wont have the means to do wholesale changes to the team and Vesty is one of a few players who fits in with Enzo's methods.

As to how we deal with lack of pace is another problem to solve, likely done with players around him supporting him, but thats my input.

6 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Its clear we wont have the means to do wholesale changes to the team and Vesty is one of a few players who fits in with Enzo's methods.

As to how we deal with lack of pace is another problem to solve, likely done with players around him supporting him, but thats my input.

He is way too slow for the premier league lol 

• Like 1

I’ve yet to see a good answer from all those who think he’s nowhere near PL level to this question: 

If that’s true how did he manage to get the career he’s had in the Bundesliga, the PL and now as a standout defender in the division below?

Maybe it’ll turn out that he’s not good enough, but it’s certainly not possible to say at the moment, is it?

Edited by Foxy DK
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

If he’s renewing and we get promoted, there’s no way he’s taking a reduction lol 

• Like 1

I was Vestergaard’s biggest critic when he was in the Premier League, but I now wonder whether he should be given the opportunity IF we get promoted: There are many defenders who don’t rely on pace who have forged pretty good careers for themselves.

I do worry that he might struggle in some games as we won’t dominate the ball like we do at this level. Playing without the ball is a different proposition altogether that doesn’t align with his skill set.

We might need other CBs in rotation, but I think there is a tendency to overrate the size of the step up. Based on this season the bottom half of the PL is very average and I think us, Leeds and Southampton would all have an even chance at survival with our current squads. Vestergaard against Man City and Liverpool is one thing, but against Luton, Forest, Crystal Palace and lots of the other average teams is a different gauge completely. I think he’d be ok 

• Like 1

He’s one of those players that is probably too good for championship but not good enough for the premier league. I wouldn’t base that on him as a general defender but more his mobility. I’d say he is abnormally slow for a professional footballer. He’ll get exposed time and time again when we don’t have the ball nearly as much. He’s excellent in this system because he’s in full control and that plays to his strengths but next season if we go up, we will need a lot more pace at the back in general and jannik will also be what 32? I’d say shake hands and move on. Souttar would be a better option ironically at premier league level. That said, he deserves huge credit for how he’s played this season and enzo is clearly a massive fan. 

We won't find a CB as good as him on the ball for less than £50m. We could get fast, strong, aggressive CBs for much less but in this system a CB with ball skills is crucial. He's on a completely different level in that respect to Coady, who I used to think was good on the ball. I think we need to try to keep him and make sure we get pacy players around him. 

I'm really not sure about Faes though. He's just so unpredictable which is never a good trait for a CB.

• Like 1

A lot of teams in the Championship will park the bus against us but the Premier League will be the opposite and Vesty will be made to look foolish.

You could say that about all our defenders who don't cope well when pressed even at this level.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Foxy DK said:

I’ve yet to see a good answer from all those who think he’s nowhere near PL level to this question: 

If that’s true how did he manage to get the career he’s had in the Bundesliga, the PL and now as a standout defender in the division below?

Maybe it’ll turn out that he’s not good enough, but it’s certainly not possible to say at the moment, is it?

He last played 90 mins in the top flight May 21

It will be over 3 years should we get promoted.

He wasn’t known for his pace in his prime.

Here is a quote from an article from 6 years ago prior to the Southampton move 

“Vestergaard is also a defender who is aware of his limitations, therefore plays to his strengths. What he lacks in pace, he has proven to make up for with his reading of the game”

He has looked comfortable in a team that dominate and have the majority of possession but as we have seen the finishing from the opposition has been quite poor, that won’t be the case if we are to get promoted and the lack of pace would be exposed a lot more.

I guess it depends on our recruitment, and if there are better options out there and money available 70k plus a week.

35 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

He last played 90 mins in the top flight May 21

It will be over 3 years should we get promoted.

He wasn’t known for his pace in his prime.

Here is a quote from an article from 6 years ago prior to the Southampton move 

“Vestergaard is also a defender who is aware of his limitations, therefore plays to his strengths. What he lacks in pace, he has proven to make up for with his reading of the game”

He has looked comfortable in a team that dominate and have the majority of possession but as we have seen the finishing from the opposition has been quite poor, that won’t be the case if we are to get promoted and the lack of pace would be exposed a lot more.

I guess it depends on our recruitment, and if there are better options out there and money available 70k plus a week.

We can definitely get a better defender for 70k per week but can we get a better quarter back, which is basically Vesty's role in the Enzo system?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

We can definitely get a better defender for 70k per week but can we get a better quarter back, which is basically Vesty's role in the Enzo system?

It's going to be a very difficult decision for the club & I suppose a lot will depend on what Vesty wants for money !

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Good negotiators and for some people money isnt everything, or at least could be convinced of that.

He's 31, out contract, could be the last chance he has for a decent pay day.

Available on a free he could command a sizable sign on fee with another club.

He will not be taking a pay cut.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

He's 31, out contract, could be the last chance he has for a decent pay day.

Available on a free he could command a sizable sign on fee with another club.

He will not be taking a pay cut.

Ok Vesty, as you must be him to know what he will do.

25 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Ok Vesty, as you must be him to know what he will do.

So you'd take a pay cut  of say 10% at work? 

Rather than find a new job that pays you 10% more?

Edited by coolhandfox

At the minute, him and Faes look good together. Whether that holds water against premier league standard forwards is another matter. The Bournemouth game should be the best litmus test - they fielded a strong side when they spanked Swansea, Solanke in particular is on fire at the moment.

Despite what the entitled idiots who go home on 75 mins would like to think, we're not a temporarily-embarrassed top-half Prem team after two years of rot under Rodgers. We will be hamstrung by careful finances (and a moron running our transfer business) and more than likely have to rely on the players that got us up to keep us in the division. I'm quite excited to see how the likes of Mavididi, Cannon, Hermansen and Fatawu (permanant signing permitting) perform against the best of the best, alongside the lads like Winks and Ricky P who we've seen excel at that level before. But, as we found out in 2014-15, maintaining the spine and togetherness of the group that got promoted is going to be key, especially during tough times and winless runs.

I'd say the jury is out on Vesty at Premier League level for us, anyway. We're all fully aware of his nonexistant pace, but he hasn't really ever had a chance to show what he can do.

• 2021-22 - 10 appearances
  • 2022-23 - 0 appearances

That's absolutely nothing for a player who has been on our books for 3 years, 2 in the top flight, and managed a solid few years at the level previously for Southampton. 

For that reason, to turn our nose up at a player who is playing out of his skin and developing a solid partnership with Faes, who most expect to be our main man next year, is daft. At the very least, I'd play him in cup games if he loses his first-team spot.

If it doesn't work, so be it, but his stock has risen massively this season and he seems to have some interest from elsewhere. It would represent good business if we were able to command a fee for him.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Exactly, it’s not just about what we replace as a defender, it’s what he brings to the wider game, how he creates in this quarterback type role.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Exactly, it’s not just about what we replace as a defender, it’s what he brings to the wider game, how he creates in this quarterback type role.

I think we as fans easily underestimate how important this is. We (naturally) look at defenders primarily as defenders (well I do, anyway), but I genuinely suspect that for Enzo defending, while obviously not unimportant, is kind of a bonus, and he'll accept some defensive deficiencies if the ball-playing stuff is good enough.

• Like 1

Vestegaard is having a good season and it's especially commendable considering where he was before Enzo joined.

But let's be honest the gulf between the Prem and the Champ is enormous. The best strikers in the Champ would get 5-10 goals in a Prem season - Haaland or Salah would score 60+ in the Champ.

I'd keep him if he signed on as a squad player - which would require a drop in wages. If he thinks he can get a better deal elsewhere, I'd say thanks for the service and best of luck at your next club.