Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

7 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He won't be afforded the time to play the 'quarterback' role in the PL, bar a handful of games.

Firstly, we won't be playing Manchester City and Liverpool every week and there is still some dross in the Premiership. Pace isn't everything in a centre half, Terry and Vidic spring to mind. Even Jonny Evans was very limited in that respect but was remarkably good. Played correctly as he is by Maresca he's currently more important and consistently better performing than Doyle or Faus. I think if you look at the centre halves of the other Premiership teams outside the top few, I'd sooner risk him than some of them.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Foxy DK said:

I’ve yet to see a good answer from all those who think he’s nowhere near PL level to this question: 

If that’s true how did he manage to get the career he’s had in the Bundesliga, the PL and now as a standout defender in the division below?

Maybe it’ll turn out that he’s not good enough, but it’s certainly not possible to say at the moment, is it?

I am not his biggest fan but credit where credit is due he has done well in the championship playing in this ball playing roll…but

He’s not actually performed this role outside of the championship, 1 because of pace and 2 because of system the sweeper keeper is a relatively newish thing for the “average” club. 
Fast forward to hopefully being there 1 will always be an issue the 2nd we now have a keeper that can back him to allow a higher line and as you say we won’t know if that will work against premier league teams until we try it.

My issue with him is him, he has the air of someone who thinks he’s someone he’s not & I don’t think he’s got the minerals to lead the line in the premier when the 5hit is hitting the fan he goes missing. Another thing for me is his passing, I don’t mean the pinged balls to the forwards which he does well but the sideways 1s & the laziness in the way he executes them. He telegraphs his intentions to me in the stands let alone someone 6ft away and then the ball only just makes it to the intended target.
This issue will be highlighted because he will be playing against International forwards, all blessed with a brain as well as pace, they will pick these passes off time and again and will have a free run on goal, this will then lead to a confidence issue with him going missing & the high-line withdrawing and him blaming all around him.

41 minutes ago, LeePhilpottsBaldSpot said:

Haaland or Salah would score 60+ in the Champ.

Well, they would if they were playing for Man City or Liverpool.

But probably not if they were playing for Rotherham or QPR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

People are so unrealistic.

Why would he take a pay cut.

its not uncommon for players at his age to do that, if Vardy stays for example it will certainly be on reduced terms, Vestergaard will probably take less per week than he was on with us in the prem but there will be a big signing on fee from which ever club he joins

7 hours ago, BKLFox said:

This issue will be highlighted because he will be playing against International forwards, all blessed with a brain as well as pace, they will pick these passes off time and again and will have a free run on goal, this will then lead to a confidence issue with him going missing & the high-line withdrawing and him blaming all around him.

That’s a lot of “ifs”. And he’s played against his share of international forwards in his career. Also, he’s not brainless and will adapt his passing accordingly. Don’t know why you think he’d go missing and blaming others?

I’d not worry about his mentality or football intelligence, but whether he can defend properly when we will have much less possession than now in most games. My point was, though, that I don’t see how anyone can tell for sure that he won’t be good enough for PL atm. He might and might not, but we’ll really have to see.

• Like 1

People go on about Vestergaard not being good enough for the premier league etc,but we aren’t in the premier league we are in the championship. We can worry about him if and  when we get there. He is what we need at the moment 

Edited by Lesterlad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Firstly, we won't be playing Manchester City and Liverpool every week and there is still some dross in the Premiership. Pace isn't everything in a centre half, Terry and Vidic spring to mind. Even Jonny Evans was very limited in that respect but was remarkably good. Played correctly as he is by Maresca he's currently more important and consistently better performing than Doyle or Faus. I think if you look at the centre halves of the other Premiership teams outside the top few, I'd sooner risk him than some of them.

Imagine comparing him to Terry and Vidic…

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Phenom said:

Imagine comparing him to Terry and Vidic…

🤣 I know what you're saying but I was merely trying to make a point. Pace is of less use than positioning and reading of the game. How Vestergaard is currently played by Maresca, to his strengths, he doesn't need to be blessed with pace. I think there'd be worse centre halves in the Premiership than Vestergaard that's for sure.

• Like 2

Might sound harsh because of how well he's played this season but I don't think we should give him a new contract.

He has been very good for us at this level but he won't have the luxury of slowly advancing with the ball and picking a pass in the PL. Defensively his alarming lack of pace has been and would be terribly exposed against PL teams/forwards.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 1972 Fox said:

Might sound harsh because of how well he's played this season but I don't think we should give him a new contract.

He has been very good for us at this level but he won't have the luxury of slowly advancing with the ball and picking a pass in the PL. Defensively his alarming lack of pace has been and would be terribly exposed against PL teams/forwards.

Giving him a new contract now does allow us to get a fee for him if we decide he’s not what we need in the PL.

Burnley, look like they are coming down and if Kompany stays and wants to play the same way, Vestergaard would be an ideal signing for them.

No new contract and he walks out for nothing.

26 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Giving him a new contract now does allow us to get a fee for him if we decide he’s not what we need in the PL.

Burnley, look like they are coming down and if Kompany stays and wants to play the same way, Vestergaard would be an ideal signing for them.

No new contract and he walks out for nothing.

I get your point but how many times have we been stuck with players on contracts that we don't want (Vestergaard included last season).

Sometimes it can be better just to cut your losses.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Let’s wait a see the fixture list before we say this! I was under the impression teams played other teams twice per season until I looked at the fixtures for next week and saw Southampton and Leeds are playing Huddersfield and Rotherham again next weekend :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

So you'd take a pay cut  of say 10% at work? 

Rather than find a new job that pays you 10% more?

If I preferred the work conditions yeah, thats a small cut. 

Maybe different if on the financial edge.  But not in that situation then the quality of the work environment would be just as important or even more important than the pay.  For reference I have took pay cuts before, so I have history behind my words.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

Judging from his stats at Southampton he wasn’t a bad defender at all. Here for example his first season with them

https://fbref.com/en/players/1900032e/scout/1889/Jannik-Vestergaard-Scouting-Report

His passing, though, wasn’t great, probably due to the way they played. I’d like to see him play some matches for us against PL opposition before writing him off. He’s an experienced player now and I’m confident that Maresca knows how to utilize his strengths.

edit: and here his stats from his last year in Germany:

https://fbref.com/en/players/1900032e/scout/1634/Jannik-Vestergaard-Scouting-Report

Tell the opposite story - suggest he’s more like prime DeBruyne going forward, but can’t tackle if his life depended on it. Though, he’s still very good at intercepting and other defensive actions.

Edited by Foxy DK

17 minutes ago, Foxy DK said:

Judging from his stats at Southampton he wasn’t a bad defender at all. Here for example his first season with them

https://fbref.com/en/players/1900032e/scout/1889/Jannik-Vestergaard-Scouting-Report

His passing, though, wasn’t great, probably due to the way they played. I’d like to see him play some matches for us against PL opposition before writing him off. He’s an experienced player now and I’m confident that Maresca knows how to utilize his strengths.

Indeed, I think there is an assumption that we have the freedom to just get rid of anyone we want and the money and scouting quality is there to bring in the right replacement, all whilst him not ever playing for us in EPL under Enzo. We going to have to be quite selective on where we try to improve and Vesty is not the weakest part of our team.

• Like 1

History has shown - Elliot, Taggart, Walsh, Moose Marshall(?), more laterally Evans. That pace in a CB is not entirely essential. However, Vester is truly beyond slow. So whilst I applaud his resurrection in the Championship. I think it's more that he's found his ideal level. I would be scared to death of him at the heart of a Prem defence. 

1 minute ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

History has shown - Elliot, Taggart, Walsh, Moose Marshall(?), more laterally Evans. That pace in a CB is not entirely essential. However, Vester is truly beyond slow. So whilst I applaud his resurrection in the Championship. I think it's more that he's found his ideal level. I would be scared to death of him at the heart of a Prem defence. 

Burn got absolutely murdered against the Luton winger yesterday so I can understand you're point, but he has been playing in the Prem for years.

Yeah, I think Vesty will turn out to be a solid ball playing center back for us next season. I also think that he’ll get exposed at times due to his lack of pace and some risky passing, which will get some fans to slate him off even though it will be the calculated cost for our style of play

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Faes, Vester and Nelson will be our CB's next season and we will be fine, we won't be playing a high line like we did under Rodgers and neither will we have Amartey, Castange or Thomas in there.

Let's be realistic.

If those 3 are our CBs next season we will be in trouble. Desperate for a quality centre half in the summer.