Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

Here’s his fbref report compared to CBs in other “second tier” leagues.

vestyfbref.JPG.05c5c177c0a7bd79f113603e1dd13624.JPG

He is what we think he is.

A great passer.  A perfectly good, but hardly exceptional defender at this level.  (Our CBs are never going to rank high for tackles/blocks/interceptions because we have most of the ball.)  Can surprise with the ball at his feet.

But these numbers aren’t good enough to wipe my memory of how he performed defending one-on-one or in aerial duels against PL competition.  If Enzo and the club want to re-sign him as a rotation piece at a reduced wage, I’ll have to accept their judgment.  But at a starter’s wage … please no.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, KingsX said:

A great passer.  A perfectly good, but hardly exceptional defender at this level.  (Our CBs are never going to rank high for tackles/blocks/interceptions because we have most of the ball.)  Can surprise with the ball at his feet.

But these numbers aren’t good enough to wipe my memory of how he performed defending one-on-one or in aerial duels against PL competition.  If Enzo and the club want to re-sign him as a rotation piece at a reduced wage, I’ll have to accept their judgment.  But at a starter’s wage … please no.

This is from his last season at Saints 🤷

IMG_5439.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't see what European club offers him more than £40-50k a week, even on a free. 

Recon we would be offering him that though? A decent signing on bonus and a fresh start elsewhere could be tempting.

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

I'm not used to these stats but which of those is bad? Clearances per 90, for example, shows nothing for a team winning the league at a canter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmt said:

I'm not used to these stats but which of those is bad? Clearances per 90, for example, shows nothing for a team winning the league at a canter. 

Exactly why I judged them "perfectly good, but hardly exceptional" and noted that our CBs won't rack up defensive stats because we dominate possession.

He's obviously been excellent for us at this level.  I just don't think his numbers are good enough to point to major success at the next.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Foxy DK said:

This is from his last season at Saints 🤷

IMG_5439.jpeg

In his last season at Saints he was part of the defence that conceded 68 goals.  Beaten only by relegated West Brom's 76.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Recon we would be offering him that though? A decent signing on bonus and a fresh start elsewhere could be tempting.

I hope our wage structure if we go back up is being completely overhauled but the likes of Vestergaard, Ndidi and Iheanacho signing new contracts will likely contradict that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, murphy said:

In his last season at Saints he was part of the defence that conceded 68 goals.  Beaten only by relegated West Brom's 76.

There can be a lot of problems in a team that lead to teams conceding a lot of goals though, not just individual players or just the defence even if they are a part of it

Maguire and Robertson were part of a Hull defence that conceded 80 for example

• Like 3

With him being 31 (32 in August) this summer is probably his last chance to get a contract somewhere that has 2-3 years on it

I wouldn't really be happy with offering him that long, but not sure he would take an offer of just 1 year from us either

• Like 2

I remember when we were doing well in the Premier League and you'd hear the derogatory saying with quite a few of our unconvincing players "he's bottom prem/top championship standard" in other words "sh*t!!!" 

Only "sh*t" relatively to what we were trying to achieve though...

So now we find ourselves at the top of the Championship where he's doing well, and all of a sudden people seem to think it means it works the other way! He'd be a decent Premier League standard player now!

Yes, Rodgers messed up massively with him and drained all confidence but I'm not convinced, even with the new found confidence under Enzo he'd be less of a risk he was last time he played due to his glaring lack of pace and physicality in the top league. 

He's been caught out a bit this season too but the Championship strikers are such dog turd it's all forgotten. I mean this is why he's a Championship standard defender! 

He's been pretty sensational this season though but it's hardly a surprise. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I hope our wage structure if we go back up is being completely overhauled but the likes of Vestergaard, Ndidi and Iheanacho signing new contracts will likely contradict that.

This is exactly what I meant though. I suspect we will offer him a worse contract than he gets elsewhere, whether that be his wage, relegation clause or length of contract.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

There can be a lot of problems in a team that lead to teams conceding a lot of goals though, not just individual players or just the defence even if they are a part of it

Maguire and Robertson were part of a Hull defence that conceded 80 for example

True.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KingsX said:

Exactly why I judged them "perfectly good, but hardly exceptional" and noted that our CBs won't rack up defensive stats because we dominate possession.

He's obviously been excellent for us at this level.  I just don't think his numbers are good enough to point to major success at the next.

I think its a bit harder to say than that but appreciate the point. How are his passing attempts not the 100th percentile as an aside?

9 hours ago, Collymore said:

So now we find ourselves at the top of the Championship where he's doing well, and all of a sudden people seem to think it means it works the other way! He'd be a decent Premier League standard player now

I don’t. I’m just not convinced that he won’t be either.

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I gave the bloke a hard time on here in the past and I know it’s the Championship but I thought some of his passing was superb last night. A couple of defensive errors but overall very solid and composed - almost Beckenbaueresque. i do admire how he has turned things round after looking down and out with us. I don’t know whether he would be good enough to start in the PL but would be a useful squad player at least 

Agreed, gave him a real hard time under Rodgers so I'm glad to have to take it all back. He's been fantastic this season. 

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I gave the bloke a hard time on here in the past and I know it’s the Championship but I thought some of his passing was superb last night. A couple of defensive errors but overall very solid and composed - almost Beckenbaueresque. i do admire how he has turned things round after looking down and out with us. I don’t know whether he would be good enough to start in the PL but would be a useful squad player at least 

Agreed, thought Faes passing in the first half was good too. Both of them pinging balls to Mavs and Fatawu with ease. 

Vestergaard is a must keep for me

• Like 1

On 06/02/2024 at 21:52, Ric Flair said:

Most clubs are in the middle of an overhaul, not just us. We'll see, not a pop but a delation in terms of wages and fees being spent, for the mid to lower half established prem teams. So that perhaps will mean we have a better chance of retaining on smaller contracts

What's key is what we have to spend on fees. If we need to go out and spend money replacing Vestergarad, but only have a limited budget. You have to weigh up whether it's better value to go elsewhere and buy, or to concede on the wages a little.

The replacement of players would be an ongoing process over a number of years should we go up and stay up. People expecting us to ship everyone out and buy loads will likely be disappointed.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Most clubs are in the middle of an overhaul, not just us. We'll see, not a pop but a delation in terms of wages and fees being spent, for the mid to lower half established prem teams. So that perhaps will mean we have a better chance of retaining on smaller contracts

What's key is what we have to spend on fees. If we need to go out and spend money replacing Vestergarad, but only have a limited budget. You have to weigh up whether it's better value to go elsewhere and buy, or to concede on the wages a little.

The replacement of players would be an ongoing process over a number of years should we go up and stay up. People expecting us to ship everyone out and buy loads will likely be disappointed.

Yeah it's going to be interesting. Wages have snookered us as much as the amount of transfer fees on the books across years. It's clear we're busy lowering them by the amount that will leave but need to be sensible on how we rebuild.