Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

3 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Anything more than a 1 year extension then we really are a glutton for punishment

He won’t agree a one year deal though will he, so it will be a minimum of 2 otherwise he won’t sign … he has some leverage tbf after he’s been our number 1 defender in the ball playing role, which is integral to Enzo’s system.

1 minute ago, MalletFox said:

He won’t agree a one year deal though will he, so it will be a minimum of 2 otherwise he won’t sign … he has some leverage tbf after he’s been our number 1 defender in the ball playing role, which is integral to Enzo’s system.

That's what bothers me, we're a club that hands out 4 year deals to the likes of Hamza Choudhury on the back of a few games back here after a loan spell at Watford lol

• Like 1

I'm not sure about this, which is crazy when you consider how important he's been for us this season.

His biggest strengths are his passing ability and two footedness, which considering how often he has the ball means that he's become absolutely essential to how we play.

In the Premier League very few matches, if any, are going to be like the majority of matches we face in the Championship. He won't have the ball anywhere near as much and he'll be tested a lot more as a defender, which remains his weakness.

He's on a big wage and he absolutely bombed for us in the Premier League previously. It's a risk.

• Like 2

Have no issue with this, deserves his chance. 

Can see us bringing in a loan to play next to him (if we dont keep doyle) that has some pace to work on the cover. 

He may get caught out but off the top of my head i cant really think of any goals he has been solely responsible for. 

• Like 1

Can’t exactly write him off after this season. But I have reservations about his ability to be this comfortable in the premier league. With more aggressive pressing and better quality of attackers he’s liable to get found out a lot quicker. 

1/2 year extension on reasonable wages (assuming he had a clause when we were relegated) seems fair - he's definitely earned it off the back of this season.

He might not quite be up to the pace of the prem enough to be a starter, but he's still adept at this system and prem-experienced so he'd fit into the squad as an option at a minimum. Which is probably what he'd expect as he'll be 32 when the season starts. Plus with Nelson starting to come through we could do with keeping someone around in a mentor style role. Similar to what we did with Fuchs/Chilwell when they were slowing down/coming through, respectively.

So long as the deal is right, no problem with this.

If both parties are ok with this then he definitely deserves his chance. Everyone was predicting he would get caught out by the pacy forwards from the better teams, but he hasn't. Seems every mistake he makes gets picked on but no defender is infallible. I think he will do well in the PL and people need to remember that he wasn't playing the year we got relegated.

Sensible decision. If he walks at the end of the season it’s 2 “quarterback” style defenders we’ll need to sign. For continuity it makes sense to keep him (and let’s not forget he’s been superb this season) but sign his ultimate replacement in the summer. We just need to be sensible with contract length

If (when) we go up his pace is obviously a concern, but it’s a very black and white argument to say he’s not good enough for the prem because of it, the answer lies in the middle somewhere. It’s easy to look at how he performed under Rodgers, but in reality he didn’t really play at all, and his confidence would have been absolutely destroyed. Plus last season the lack of protection we gave to the back four was astounding, if you broke bast a puffing Tielemans or a mentally scarred Ndidi you were basically tearing down on Amartey and Ward and that is enough to give me PTSD

I can't see us not working something out with him, but I would hope 2 years max.

I'm not convinced on his suitability defensively in the PL but ultimately I would imagine we're in the position where we don't have much choice as we won't be able to afford to replace him for the £10-20m it would probably cost.

21 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I'm not sure about this, which is crazy when you consider how important he's been for us this season.

His biggest strengths are his passing ability and two footedness, which considering how often he has the ball means that he's become absolutely essential to how we play.

In the Premier League very few matches, if any, are going to be like the majority of matches we face in the Championship. He won't have the ball anywhere near as much and he'll be tested a lot more as a defender, which remains his weakness.

He's on a big wage and he absolutely bombed for us in the Premier League previously. It's a risk.

When did he bomb for us in the premier league?  He was frozen out by Rogers and never got a sniff.  If we get promoted we will adapt our way of playing.  He will play much deeper and drop back hence making up for his lack of pace.    Maguire and Evans have no pace yet, both, have been starters for Utd this season.

• Like 2