Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

He deserves the chance. 

People seriously need to realise how bad Rodger’s man management was. He was treated so poorly. He isn’t a world beater but the lad is so comfortable on the ball and we need to plan for next year. 

I bet Enzo would have wanted this. 

With the turnover and FFP considerations this makes sense, as long as he isn’t offered a silly amount, then he’s a decent option for most premier league team squads. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FoxSinceBirth said:

He's found his level in my opinion, far too slow for the top flight!

Should be fine against sides where we will be expected to dominate the ball (ie. Some bottom half teams). This system suits him a lot more than what Rodgers was trying to do with him. 

In general I am a bit dubious about what Enzo is expecting to be able to do against the better sides assuming we go up. Playing as we do, we will likely get ruined against sides with lots of money to buy superior individual players, so something will have to change there and we will probably end up with a different defensive setup for those games.

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

Should be fine against sides where we will be expected to dominate the ball (ie. Some bottom half teams). This system suits him a lot more than what Rodgers was trying to do with him. 

In general I am a bit dubious about what Enzo is expecting to be able to do against the better sides assuming we go up. Playing as we do, we will likely get ruined against sides with lots of money to buy superior individual players, so something will have to change there and we will probably end up with a different defensive setup for those games.

Indeed, that's a fascinating question.  Is Enzo capable of pragmatism?  Only time will tell.

As for Vesty, I'm fine with keeping him around as he's had a terrific season.  In the PL his usage must be matchup-dependent but you have to trust the manager on that.

44 minutes ago, Danno said:

Plenty of slow defenders in the top flight, Dias, Silva, Gabriel, Schar, Botman 

Thiago Silva and the Chelsea defence isn't exactly one to be comparing with. 

Wouldn't say Dias, Gabriel or Schar/Botman are that slow either. 

Can those questioning it just remember that we are likely to have a limited budget and that retaining him means you don't have to waste your budget on a replacement.

There could still be plans for another CB, who is quicker and Vesty just drops down the pecking order. So we just get one CB rather than two and spread the budget thinner and thinner. 

Edited by Babylon

24 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We are a system team that is more about the sum of the whole than the individuals.

I think the new system gives him more protection than Rodgers's system, he can't play in a pair.

We will struggle to find a CB with his ability on the ball and pace because, guess what, that would be an elite-level player. 

I would rather us spend money on a quality left-footed CB. 

Resigning Vesty allows us to do that.  

His passing is definitely above average PL-level for a CB. 

• Like 1

Vestergaard wasn't only bad under Rodgers. He was bad at Southampton too. I'm not hapoy about this news. He'll be once again exposed against half decent strikers in the PL.

2 hours ago, suffolk fox said:

When did he bomb for us in the premier league?  He was frozen out by Rogers and never got a sniff.  If we get promoted we will adapt our way of playing.  He will play much deeper and drop back hence making up for his lack of pace.    Maguire and Evans have no pace yet, both, have been starters for Utd this season.

He was a liability every time he played, thus eventually being frozen out. Rodgers had no choice, especially once Vestergaard started spouting off in the press.

• Like 1

We trust Enzo. He was awful in the Premier League under Rodgers in his first season but that was clearly down to the manager playing him in the wrong system. He never played in the Premier league in the second season and fair play for him taking on Rodgers in the press, he deserved it. 
A two year deal on the same wages or even a slight reduction would make sense.

Everyone talking about his pace but has anybody actually bothered to see us play this season? When has he ever been in a footrace with an attacker? Unless Enzo abandons everything and starts playing with a high line, pace is not going to be an issue. The only issue will be like some have said, the press will be much better and sustained in the Prem so he will need to be consistent. 

Extending his contract is a sensible thing to do. He will only get a 2 year deal and the wages too high. Allows us to spend the budget on other areas and we know he’s a relatively solid option when used correctly. 

• Like 1

If we're in the Premier League next season, as it stands our CB options will be Faes, Coady, Souttar, Justin, Nelson and Vestergaard if he signs. We're hoping that we'll sign at least one new CB. The issue is, with the supposed financial issues  will we have to move someone on to bring them in? It's clear that he's not particularly keen on Souttar, but will we be able to sell him? I would imagine that Nelson will be loaned out to a championship side? 

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

If we're in the Premier League next season, as it stands our CB options will be Faes, Coady, Souttar, Justin, Nelson and Vestergaard if he signs. We're hoping that we'll sign at least one new CB. The issue is, with the supposed financial issues  will we have to move someone on to bring them in? It's clear that he's not particularly keen on Souttar, but will we be able to sell him? I would imagine that Nelson will be loaned out to a championship side? 

Too many ifs and buts in there. We'll just have to wait till next season. 

2 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Too many ifs and buts in there. We'll just have to wait till next season. 

Haven't you just undermined one of the main purposes of this forum? I thought the whole point was to speculate about Leicester City? lol