Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

Would assume that he has one decent contract left in him so would want 3 years min

as a free agent he would expect a s/o fee approx £4m 

that can be spread across the three years but amounts to £25k/week

he wouldn’t settle for less than 50k/week basic

so that a 3 year deal at £75k/week for him to stay (no transfer fee to handle though)  

if you think he has something to offer for three years then it’s fine.  I would have thought there were younger options out there with resale  value. If he stays then does coady too? 

As good as he's been he'll be 32 in August this will be his last shot at a decent contract & will most certainly be looking for a 3yr deal, does it make financial or planning sense?

Obviously Nelson should be around for a while
Faes contracted till 2027, if he does well next season does he look to move on whilst he's in his prime years & chance a 'big' move?
Coady contracted till 2026 when he himself will be 33. He's going to be 31 in a few days does he now think if i'm not getting game time do i jump now looking for that last big'ish contract

Souttar contracted till 2028 has age on his side but currently not getting game time has a decision to make

They are our current CB's just 4 of them with Doyle heading back to Man C & Justin as a hybrid.

Just looking at ages you'd think 'future planning' wise we can't progress with both Vestergaard & Coady, if they re-sign Vester then probably means Coady is benched & therefore why have him instead of someone younger.
If Coady can do the Vester role then he's still under contract so why re-sign Vester instead of parting ways & maybe getting a younger cheaper options to come up after / with Nelson.

Would assume the left CB will be bought in so either Doyle or another of type, bear in mind we still have Justin so those 4 above are fighting for 2 spots.

It's certainly a noodle scratcher, he re-signs do you look to offload both Coady & Souttar & get a young CB for near future + Doyle(type) or do you part ways with him & just get a Doyle(type) & then possibly make a change after the 1st season in the Prem where Faes may or maynot have shined?

I personally would say thanks & good luck otherwise we are risking stacking aging CBs

Unsurprising with the way he’s resurrected his Leicester career, fully deserved. 

Will be interesting to see how Maresca views Coady & Nelson though, still think we need two new CB’s, even with Vestergaard now presumably staying. 

I wouldn’t want to go into a Premier League season with Vestergaard & Coady as our options. I’d consider letting Coady leave on loan, especially as now it seems Nelson is ahead of him in the pecking order.

Leaving us looking like this for next season...

RCB - Faes, Justin

CB - New CB, Vestergaard 

LCB - New LCB, Nelson 

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

He wasn't good enough in the PL under Rodgers.  But when the little, poisoned dwarf criticised over half the playing squad, there's no surprise there.  Enzo will manage him properly.  

Basically this, completely different player. 

He’s earned his new deal and we’re doing the right thing issuing him an offer (providing we haven’t offered him crazy good terms!) 

Very torn on this. His passing is probably a bit underrated - it's good by even PL standards for me. It does point again to a lack of money. But I think it's quite plausible he looks a bit out of his depth in the PL, even if I do have to say he'd only ever been here during Rodgers' disinterested phase for us so it wasn't easy for any CB.

I'd have one year with an option for another if we're going to give him a deal but I think we'll end up giving a minimum of two knowing us.

3 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

should be getting a one year deal...max

Which he wouldn't sign. Two year deal is the compromise and he might accept, allowing him one more contract perhaps at 34 somewhere in Europe. 

My gut feel is he'll end on a high and choose to move on for a three year deal in Europe. Always leave them wanting more. 

Footnote; he's my player of the season - even ahead of Winks and KDH. His performance levels - passing and defensive - his leadership qualities and his general swagger have all been top notch. I think he's great.

Edited by Paninistickers

Happy to be shot down in flames on here next season as he'll have done well in that case. Just see him as a stop gap option to promotion. You cannot compare what he will face in the Premier League to what he's faced in Championship which has been largely awful.

He's a tremendous passer of the ball and been a huge part of the teams success. It's an odd statement to make on that basis but the Premier League is a way different proposition. 

A year extension on relative wages and back up best I'd view it.

Hope I'm wrong though.

52 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

As good as he's been he'll be 32 in August this will be his last shot at a decent contract & will most certainly be looking for a 3yr deal, does it make financial or planning sense?

Obviously Nelson should be around for a while
Faes contracted till 2027, if he does well next season does he look to move on whilst he's in his prime years & chance a 'big' move?
Coady contracted till 2026 when he himself will be 33. He's going to be 31 in a few days does he now think if i'm not getting game time do i jump now looking for that last big'ish contract

Souttar contracted till 2028 has age on his side but currently not getting game time has a decision to make

They are our current CB's just 4 of them with Doyle heading back to Man C & Justin as a hybrid.

Just looking at ages you'd think 'future planning' wise we can't progress with both Vestergaard & Coady, if they re-sign Vester then probably means Coady is benched & therefore why have him instead of someone younger.
If Coady can do the Vester role then he's still under contract so why re-sign Vester instead of parting ways & maybe getting a younger cheaper options to come up after / with Nelson.

Would assume the left CB will be bought in so either Doyle or another of type, bear in mind we still have Justin so those 4 above are fighting for 2 spots.

It's certainly a noodle scratcher, he re-signs do you look to offload both Coady & Souttar & get a young CB for near future + Doyle(type) or do you part ways with him & just get a Doyle(type) & then possibly make a change after the 1st season in the Prem where Faes may or maynot have shined?

I personally would say thanks & good luck otherwise we are risking stacking aging CBs

One of those strange transfer situations where I wouldn't be particularly vexed whichever way it went, I can see the benefits of him staying, and the arguments for shaking hands and going our separate ways.  

One of the things I find interesting is player longevity in the modern era of intensive monitoring of player fitness levels.  Thiago has been mentioned. Modric is another one who played at the highest level whilst hardly being a spring chicken.  Are we going to see more and more players extend their careers beyond what was once the norm?Particularly players who haven't ever relied on pace or, where they did, can reinvent themselves a bit.  

A lot of it will come down to career injuries and just basic desire to keep going - but some players simply can't get enough.  Look at Cech! 

Not sure on Vesty's injury record but could see him being a player who chugs along for a good few seasons yet - wherever he may be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

People talk about pace, but based on pace alone, were Big Wes or Huth any faster?

When Morgan got going he was fast to be fair, looks deceiving when you’re playing against strikers who are rapid. 

I don’t see clubs  queuing round the block to sign him.  If Enzo wants him in the Prem then that should be enough to offer him a contract.  

While he has been good this season, he has shown he is happy to sit and see out a contract so some caution in terms of length and relegation clauses for me

20 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

One of those strange transfer situations where I wouldn't be particularly vexed whichever way it went, I can see the benefits of him staying, and the arguments for shaking hands and going our separate ways.  

One of the things I find interesting is player longevity in the modern era of intensive monitoring of player fitness levels.  Thiago has been mentioned. Modric is another one who played at the highest level whilst hardly being a spring chicken.  Are we going to see more and more players extend their careers beyond what was once the norm?Particularly players who haven't ever relied on pace or, where they did, can reinvent themselves a bit.  

A lot of it will come down to career injuries and just basic desire to keep going - but some players simply can't get enough.  Look at Cech! 

Not sure on Vesty's injury record but could see him being a player who chugs along for a good few seasons yet - wherever he may be. 

Agree and he probably is 1 that could go on for a while as no danger of snapping a hammy, I think he’s actually got a decent injury record (without checking)

If he stays we shouldn’t really be keeping Coady, Harwood Bellis is someone I would have liked before STH got him, so someone like him that’s young but has the confidence on the ball to play the system.

I just want to see us getting some of these young talented CBs like France are churning out before the rich clubs just buy and stack them up so they can sell within a year but with rich club added tax or just to keep them away from like minded clubs yet not play them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

That's what bothers me, we're a club that hands out 4 year deals to the likes of Hamza Choudhury on the back of a few games back here after a loan spell at Watford lol

Exactly mate, there’s no way he agrees to a one year deal, I would be worried about what wage he is commanding too as it’s undeniable he has been superb this season. Like most, I worry about how exposed he will be at Premier League level with his lack of pace, and Enzo is going to have to be adaptable in approach otherwise we’ll be doing a Burnley I fear, unless we can significantly strengthen the starting 11.

2 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

Exactly mate, there’s no way he agrees to a one year deal, I would be worried about what wage he is commanding too as it’s undeniable he has been superb this season. Like most, I worry about how exposed he will be at Premier League level with his lack of pace, and Enzo is going to have to be adaptable in approach otherwise we’ll be doing a Burnley I fear, unless we can significantly strengthen the starting 11.

I have absolutely no doubt Enzo will be watching and analysing Burnley's season in some detail.    Whatever happens next season, and assuming we get promoted, he'll have his 'solutions' lined up. 

He speaks in the Percy article about how every club has all available information about every other club and his job is to provide th player with new ideas and ways of winning.  

That's the sort of statement that doesn't speak of tactical inflexibility to me.  

I also think he'll be reasonably well backed in the summer, taking FFP into account.  As he was this summer.  

46 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Wes was, Huth wasn't but we played a deep defensive in those halcyon days! Huth would have been unbelievably exposed playing this high. 

People label Wes as slow, but he wasn’t notably slow at his peak. Maybe he slowed down a bit in the latter stages of his career. Huth was slow, but he was an out and out defender completely suited to the low block style. 

Vestergaard has all the attributes necessary for our current style - except pace. Enzo will need the team set up to help protect Jannik in that respect. 

• Like 1