Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

Guest glasgowfox

Opinion....he has been  a revelation this season but let's not forget most of the opposition park the bus and do not press or try to get at us.  Whilst he has been very impressive he runs like he is in treacle.  I was wrong this season as I thought he would be a calamity..hope i am wrong again next if we get promoted but think he is far too slow.  For those that say you don't have to be quick as a cb and look at wes....he would probably still beat vesty in a foot race now....so hope I am wrong (not about the foot race).

Edited by glasgowfox
Grammar

6 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I don't mind extending. But not at a princely sum or super long contract. As whilst he has stepped up this season. He looked woeful on previous Prem showings for us. So it still feels a punt to me. Definitely if he's seen as a definite Prem starter. 

Yes-no (jaein) …

If Enzo wants and stands by him,I would sign him for 2-3 yrs,no 5 yr contracts.

All players will want a good length contract..

Any wage increase,the club and player at present will have to find a fair middle ground

For all our squad/academy & U21 first team players,not just us,but other successfull clubs

will be relying mainly on what they have,our players won’t be pushing for immediate rises.

They still have a but hanging in the air…

Every player was given that chance from the club to redeem refloat their careers,including

Mavididi,Winks…chance for PL football,Fatawu Akgun,maybe Cannon..

The others were or are rekindled-career players from our relegation catastrophy

Then academy players being given first team football

Even our considered stars,will have to go into the PL season,that only a snippet of recognition

in their wages..if any ,for our season returning to the PL..

KdH,Daka,Vardy and others have commented

on their feelings & priority..

Obviously we don’t know what KDH after delivering or putting those thoughts on the table…might be thinking.

We have completed unfinished business,shook myself and club out of the doldrums…

Whats on the table..??

And whether we like it or not & try and misuse or construe the situation to our bias benefit..

All because of the group achievement, with balanced understanding have that right to ask.

But I see that not causing next season any major rumblings,plus if Enzo receives from the club

for his first phases into the PL,decent solid support on accepted first term minimum funds for player

investment I see no reason why he should leave this platform and project in this stage.

unless we are more broke than first believed…

Edited by fuchsntf

Tricky. Warrants a contract based on this season and his unique seeming play style, but cautious as to the length.

Unlikely he would extend for a year as it has limited benefit to him and his playing career, but two years might be doable?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We are going to lose Vardy, Albrighton, Vestergaard, Nacho, Praet and Ndidi for free in the summer; we also lose our loan players Doyle, Fatawu and Akgun if we don't buy them.

That's 9 players out of a 25-man squad; we aren't going to have the money to replace 9 players in the summer.  

We need to retain at least a couple of those running-down contracts. 

Pretty sure Fatawu is an obligation, not a choice, to buy. Vardy and Ndidi are certain to be offered new contracts and no-one (except Saudi or maybe MLS) will be offering Vardy a better deal than us. 

Vestergaard will surely be offered a new deal too, but question is whether he sees his future in England or if he's going to wind down his career back home, which is quite common for Scandinavians with children. My bet is on him wanting to stay on for another year or two now that he has a manager who values and trusts him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ricey said:

He was a liability every time he played, thus eventually being frozen out. Rodgers had no choice, especially once Vestergaard started spouting off in the press.

For the record not started a league game under Rogers, since, Jan 2022, frozen out altogether from 1st team training, under Rogers, March 2023.  Played 3 domestic cup games under Rogers.  He didn't play in the premier league for us under Rogers.

Edited by suffolk fox

6 hours ago, dannythefox said:

When will we ever learn… 

Learn what?

Your being ignorant if you do not believe signing Vesty on is great business

Finding an experienced international who understands EM ethos and can play the way he wants will cost £m+ whereas a new 2-3 year deal would be great value as in the prem we will need experience and players who can hit the ground running....

He may not necessarily start every game and he has defended brilliantly all season and can play - boy can he pass a ball - he lacks pace but then the system and players around him will need to have pace - full backs in particular..

No brainer for me sign him up - we wont have ridiculous funds next season and keeping those players who have prem experience, played well this season should all be retained 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

We are going to lose Vardy, Albrighton, Vestergaard, Nacho, Praet and Ndidi for free in the summer; we also lose our loan players Doyle, Fatawu and Akgun if we don't buy them.

That's 9 players out of a 25-man squad; we aren't going to have the money to replace 9 players in the summer.  

We need to retain at least a couple of those running-down contracts. 

think we'll try and keep 4/5 out of that 9

Vesty, Ndidi, Fatawu and Doyle, 

only way we keep Vardy would be reduced terms

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

think we'll try and keep 4/5 out of that 9

Vesty, Ndidi, Fatawu and Doyle, 

only way we keep Vardy would be reduced terms

Spot on we will definitely attempt to keep all of the above and Vardy too is my sense on reduced terms but probably with a bonus for staying up whether he has better overseas offers will be key and if he needs a 3 year deal for security.......hopefully he wants at least one more year and we would be mad not to try and keep him - his experience, dressing room and leadership alone are worth retaining - also, in recent weeks he has looked at a different level again and he is still the best finisher at the club by a country mile.

Hmmm. I think the terms have to really suit us, especially in terms of length of extension / standing in the squad for this to be beneficial. If we give him a three years on good whack and intend on keeping him as first choice CB then I do worry a bit.

On 06/02/2024 at 10:15, RowlattsFox said:

If Vestergaard still had a couple of years left I'd happily give him a chance but I'm not sure we can afford to offer him a new deal. It doesn't make business sense. We are likely to be stuck with Coady, can maybe keep Souttar around and hopefully purchase a new first choice centre back. 

The business argument went out the window on the purchasing a new first choice centre back.  Probably much more expensive than keeping him.

2 hours ago, shen said:

Pretty sure Fatawu is an obligation, not a choice, to buy. Vardy and Ndidi are certain to be offered new contracts and no-one (except Saudi or maybe MLS) will be offering Vardy a better deal than us. 

Vestergaard will surely be offered a new deal too, but question is whether he sees his future in England or if he's going to wind down his career back home, which is quite common for Scandinavians with children. My bet is on him wanting to stay on for another year or two now that he has a manager who values and trusts him.

Yes, he is. 

15 hours ago, glasgowfox said:

Opinion....he has been  a revelation this season but let's not forget most of the opposition park the bus and do not press or try to get at us.  Whilst he has been very impressive he runs like he is in treacle.  I was wrong this season as I thought he would be a calamity..hope i am wrong again next if we get promoted but think he is far too slow.  For those that say you don't have to be quick as a cb and look at wes....he would probably still beat vesty in a foot race now....so hope I am wrong (not about the foot race).

I am ok with this I can accept the short debate and expression of opinion,

it’s a sort of wait and see opinion,between us.Unless club OUTSIDE or ENZO ,inside the club find someone else for that key CB position.

Leeds & Southampton will test our B.line,not far off bottom half PL sides.

Then again in sport there are times when you take educated chances

and leaps of faith..His pace and need for something quicker,

errmm this guy has also played at a fair class of international level,with some games higher than Championship level. Those first games next season will

Show all of his potential…Thats the only way..

• Like 1

He has earned a go in the Prem. A 2 year contract suits all I think.

He plays the Enzo way and looks good with Faas and Justin.

With Coady, Nelson and Souttar as good back ups we would be sorted at CB.

If he doesn't sign and we don't get Doyle we will have to buy. 

I hate it when promoted teams buy in new squads. Hopefully, we won't have too. 

If Enzo wants him that's good enough for me.

If Enzo would rather have someone else but he and we have to make do because anyone better would cost more than we have, then fair enough, not much anyone can do about that.

If Enzo doesn't want him he won't be here.

And if he is here, I really don't care how long or short his contract is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, suffolk fox said:

For the record not started a league game under Rogers, since, Jan 2022, frozen out altogether from 1st team training, under Rogers, March 2023.  Played 3 domestic cup games under Rogers.  He didn't play in the premier league for us under Rogers.

Not that it matters for your argument (which I agree with) but I see 10 PL appearances for Vestergaard in 2021/2022. Not sure how many were starts though. I do remember him 'conceding' a penalty for handball against Brighton when he was being fouled. 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon

17 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Not that it matters for your argument (which I agree with) but I see 10 PL appearances for Vestergaard in 2021/2022. Not sure how many were starts though. I do remember him 'conceding' a penalty for handball against Brighton when he was being fouled. 

10 league appearances in 21/22

6 starts - 563 minutes played - 6.3 90s

1-0 win vs Wolves - 28 mins

1-0 loss vs Man City - 61 mins

2-1 loss vs Brighton - 90 mins (game with that penalty you mentioned and we also had I believe at least 1 goal unfairly ruled out)

2-2 draw vs Burnley - 90 mins

2-2 draw vs Palace - 90 mins

4-2 win vs Man Utd - 2 mins

2-1 win vs Brentford - 22 mins

6-3 loss vs Man City - 90 mins

3-2 loss vs Spurs - 90 mins (game with the 2 injury time Spurs goals)

2-2 vs West Ham - 1 min

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1