Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

Was I watching the same game as you lot? Thought he covered well today and put in the usual good blocks and tackles we've come to expect. He got exposed for pace a few times but I think he got no help from the midfield today, Winks and KDH unusually both had a poor game.

Find me a centre back who can play effectively against a counter for 90 minutes without suitable defensive mid support and I'll listen, but I see the response tonight less as genuine concerns and more as finger pointing to find someone to blame for a poor showing from the team as a whole. It's been nothing new for us to watch our defense struggle after losing a midfield battle - it was a weekly occurrence last season when he was nowhere near the side.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, OntarioFox said:

Was I watching the same game as you lot? Thought he covered well today and put in the usual good blocks and tackles we've come to expect. He got exposed for pace a few times but I think he got no help from the midfield today, Winks and KDH unusually both had a poor game.

Find me a centre back who can play effectively against a counter for 90 minutes without suitable defensive mid support and I'll listen, but I see the response tonight less as genuine concerns and more as finger pointing to find someone to blame for a poor showing from the team as a whole. It's been nothing new for us to watch our defense struggle after losing a midfield battle - it was a weekly occurrence last season when he was nowhere near the side.

No fan of Jannik after Legia away but he was badly exposed at times today from the midfield. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

He was partially at fault for the first goal by being so deep and playing Boro onside and he also can’t direct a header accurately for shit, but his main issue today was Krusty the Clown playing alongside him.

Faes was all over the shop today and his passing was beyond horrific 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

People finally given a chance to vent on Vestergaard after quite a long time when he has been very good for us, a long overdue chance to reel out the ‘he will never make in the Premier League so we should just get rid now’ trope. 

Vindication eh?  lol

Or is it a case of modern society where everything is black and white? Been really good this season but not half as good as some people have made out. Whenever we've been up against it, he's often the one who gets exposed. Definitely earned his chance next year and hopefully his renewed confidence means we'll see a completely different version to what we last saw in the Prem (he'll certainly be better!). But we definitely need to be looking at an upgrade in that position even if it's somebody to bed in over the season. He'll be 32 going into next season so he's not the answer long term.

As for today, did some really good things but unfortunately a hell of a lot of woeful positioning, decision making, execution etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Faes was all over the shop today and his passing was beyond horrific 

It was a really strange performance. Too eager to force things in the first half and then far too relaxed in the second half. Towards the end he looked like he was trying to see out a victory.

11 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s not really it though is it? He is a good defender and very good on the ball. Obviously it’s going to be a huge issue against fast and intricate teams if we go up but anyone we are going to be able to afford is going to have a weakness.

Coady and Harry are both better, just remember this is probably his level that’s why he looks good. Get hammered every week if he’s at the back if we get promoted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannythefox said:

Coady and Harry are both better, just remember this is probably his level that’s why he looks good. Get hammered every week if he’s at the back if we get promoted.

I’m not sure I or Enzo agree with that.

On 18/02/2024 at 09:55, dannythefox said:

I’ve seen nothing from Coady in his limited appearances to say he is better than Vestergaard. Vesty sets the tone with his distribution and timing of it - I think he’s integral to how we play. 

• Like 2

On 17/02/2024 at 22:54, dylanlegend said:

Still think he’ll struggle in the Prem and cost us points.

75k a week should get us a better center half than Vesty

Not saying I disagree, but Vesty is such a weird one, he is an ok defender but a great passer, replacing him is more difficult that some think I imagine. I would let him go, but fancy we would lose something we cannot replace straightaway.

On 19/02/2024 at 07:26, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I’ve seen nothing from Coady in his limited appearances to say he is better than Vestergaard. Vesty sets the tone with his distribution and timing of it - I think he’s integral to how we play. 

I think a large part of our success was because we had someone so capable of pulling the strings from the back. 

I do also agree with many that don’t think he will make the step up as the defending becomes so much more important and I just don’t think he’s strong enough. 

The conundrum, is that we won’t get a cb who can pass as a well as him, as they are what everyone wants and we simply won’t afford it. We’d need to gamble on a young unproven player which you me would suggest we need to keep vesty around until they settle. 

It would be a pretty big gamble to let him walk for free if he wants a new deal. More so than the risk that we adequately replace him and his wages sit on the bench. 

I will be laughed at, but Harry Maguire would genuinely be very good to have back in this role. He was more than capable on the ball and 15- 20m would get it done if the reports from this year were true. But with FFP i’m not sure how we manage that fee on an older player. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

I think Vesty has done a good job this season in the Championship and has flourished more under Enzo, however I think his weakness, mainly lack of pace, will be too exposed for the Prem, and I foresee and fear alot of negativity will surround his performances as a result.

Just now, Vazman said:

I think Vesty has done a good job this season in the Championship and has flourished more under Enzo, however I think his weakness, mainly lack of pace, will be too exposed for the Prem, and I foresee and fear alot of negativity will surround his performances as a result.

No defence has one defender, so its only a question of, if his other skills (passing, composure, etc)  are so valuable to the team that they are worth keeping by offsetting his weakness of pace by using other more rapid defenders along side him. Not drawing any conclusions personally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

No defence has one defender, so its only a question of, if his other skills (passing, composure, etc)  are so valuable to the team that they are worth keeping by offsetting his weakness of pace by using other more rapid defenders along side him. Not drawing any conclusions personally.

In the Prem I am not sure we have the luxury of compensating for this.  

• Like 1

The only match I remember him playing well last season was against Man City at home, though our defence last season was a shambolic mess all round.

His main failing is his complete lack of pace, I think even Soumare could out pace him.

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I will be laughed at, but Harry Maguire would genuinely be very good to have back in this role. He was more than capable on the ball and 15- 20m would get it done if the reports from this year were true. But with FFP i’m not sure how we manage that fee on an older player. 

Without comment on his abilities, Maguire has two years remaining on a contract reported to pay him well upwards of 150K/week.

We'd probably need half of that paid by Man U even if we loaned him for a year at no fee.

25 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

The only match I remember him playing well last season was against Man City at home, though our defence last season was a shambolic mess all round.

His main failing is his complete lack of pace, I think even Soumare could out pace him.

I don't think he played that game and was well on the the naughty step by then. Wasn't that the game Cags played and he played a back 5 (i think the only time Rodgers did that season), then Cags went straight back onto his own naughty step and didn't come back until Deano resurrected him.

22 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I don't think he played that game and was well on the the naughty step by then. Wasn't that the game Cags played and he played a back 5 (i think the only time Rodgers did that season), then Cags went straight back onto his own naughty step and didn't come back until Deano resurrected him.

For some reason I thought it was the Man City game, we lost soooo many games last season, my memory just greyed out mostly.

From what I remember,  he played a game and was doing well but was subbed off and we conceded.

He mostly did not stray far though, so could not be got at in his one good game that I remember.

Of course I could have nodded off and dreamt he played one good game:dunno:lol:ph34r:

Edited by ithuriel

33 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

For some reason I thought it was the Man City game, we lost soooo many games last season, my memory just greyed out mostly.

From what I remember,  he played a game and was doing well but was subbed off and we conceded.

He mostly did not stray far though, so could not be got at in his one good game that I remember.

Of course I could have nodded off and dreamt he played one good game:dunno:lol:ph34r:

Must have been a cup game. Pretty sure he made no league appearances last season.