Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Without comment on his abilities, Maguire has two years remaining on a contract reported to pay him well upwards of 150K/week.

We'd probably need half of that paid by Man U even if we loaned him for a year at no fee.

Imagine Harry Maguire's first training session at the 'Harry Maguire training ground' 😄 

4 hours ago, Foxy DK said:

If we’d won today this thread would look completely different even with the exact same performance from Vesty. Outcome bias.

To be fair if people were criticising him yesterday and we won, people would say "why are you scapegoating a player when we won?".

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

Without comment on his abilities, Maguire has two years remaining on a contract reported to pay him well upwards of 150K/week.

We'd probably need half of that paid by Man U even if we loaned him for a year at no fee.

yeah I believe the west ham deal involved half of his wages being covered. If memory serves my right, it was maguire that turned it down after the clubs agreed everything.

As a newly promoted side, i’m not against breaking the mould of transfers and bringing in a few more proven players. You need that experience and we don’t really have enough of it. I think that maguire is certainly good enough for where we are at though  

3 hours ago, ithuriel said:

For some reason I thought it was the Man City game, we lost soooo many games last season, my memory just greyed out mostly.

From what I remember,  he played a game and was doing well but was subbed off and we conceded.

He mostly did not stray far though, so could not be got at in his one good game that I remember.

Of course I could have nodded off and dreamt he played one good game:dunno:lol:ph34r:

Season before, played in a 1-0 defeat to Man City at home in September 2021. Subbed off in the 61st minute for Evans, conceded in the 62nd minute

7 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

No defence has one defender, so its only a question of, if his other skills (passing, composure, etc)  are so valuable to the team that they are worth keeping by offsetting his weakness of pace by using other more rapid defenders along side him. Not drawing any conclusions personally.

I don't think that you can compensate for a player being as glacially slow as Vestergaard is, just by having a faster defender in the team as both players will occupy different positions on the pitch.  Unless the quick guy is standing on Jannick's toes,or he is in fact a racehorse,  he's not going to be close enough to make the difference.

I think that Vestergaard would be targeted for his lack of pace and mobility.  He can get away with it in a dominant Championship team,

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't think that you can compensate for a player being as glacially slow as Vestergaard is, just by having a faster defender in the team as both players will occupy different positions on the pitch.  Unless the quick guy is standing on Jannick's toes,or he is in fact a racehorse,  he's not going to be close enough to make the difference.

I think that Vestergaard would be targeted for his lack of pace and mobility.  He can get away with it in a dominant Championship team,

Yep even Van Dyke is struggling now he has lost his pace. We are going to need a youngish mobile CB next season of the likes of Nelson but with more experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Ahh..there is one thing against your analyse and expectatation…..

“Murphy’s law, “.  could well give us that upper hand.

One of England legends and best ,in his first seasons,

was thought of as lacking pace for England and would struggle

in the old first division. Well he simply had that knack of reading spaces

and position,at the time he probably played in one of the top 4 quickest teams

in England & Europe,but he could close down predicted space..

plus he had like Vestergaard had  an eye for a great pass.

W.ham were a beloved team at one time,and…

Won the fairescup ( cup winners cup),3x Fa.cup intertoto cup,..played a few times

in Europe,a few past European/world opponent legends,would say for a slow man

he spots and covers space, quicker & before attacking side even realised the movement

Strangely  enough there has been through world football quite a few

Low or high key legends,that had no pace.but admired at international level

It’s going to be interesting to follow how his full career pans out…

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Yep even Van Dyke is struggling now he has lost his pace. We are going to need a youngish mobile CB next season of the likes of Nelson but with more experience.

Nelson can grow that experience…Same as any young potential investment,

we might acquire or find.

many posters come over as IT human rescources..

“Company looking for teenager,with 10 years experience”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, murphy said:

If is true that there is genuine interest from us to retain him, I suspect he will still be around. Its not like his slowness will catch Enzo by surprise, so if he does stay, he must have some idea  :dunno:

7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Nelson can grow that experience…Same as any young potential investment,

we might acquire or find.

many posters come over as IT human rescources..

“Company looking for teenager,with 10 years experience”

I'm not sure that Jannick Vestergaaard bears comparison with Bobby Moore.

Before my time, Bobby Moore, but I suspect that if he was slow in a foot race he was quick in the mind.  

Football has changed a great deal since then.

35 minutes ago, murphy said:

I'm not sure that Jannick Vestergaaard bears comparison with Bobby Moore.

Before my time, Bobby Moore, but I suspect that if he was slow in a foot race he was quick in the mind.  

Football has changed a great deal since then.

I wouldn’t compare him,he was my idol at the time,but just making a point

on pace or lack of it,like you said and I insuated..

A player slow in pace quick in the mind…..As other greats have been.

The game has changed but not the basic needs,and various skill sets,the implementation and physical fitness has changed…and with all that chaotic

pace,we find various teams and eras where the pace is handled and distributed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Replacing a very slow Vesteegaard with an almost as slow Maguire seems a bizarre suggestion.

Raiding the European market for a cheaper but clearly talented Little Wes type player is the way to go.

Not to mention that Maguire is on insane money that would completely destroy any budget we may have.

On 20/02/2024 at 20:04, Lambert09 said:

yeah I believe the west ham deal involved half of his wages being covered. If memory serves my right, it was maguire that turned it down after the clubs agreed everything.

As a newly promoted side, i’m not against breaking the mould of transfers and bringing in a few more proven players. You need that experience and we don’t really have enough of it. I think that maguire is certainly good enough for where we are at though  

He is slower than vesterguard what are you on about and would cost twice or three times as much.

Edited by whoareyaaa

On 21/02/2024 at 18:48, SafewayFox said:

Replacing a very slow Vesteegaard with an almost as slow Maguire seems a bizarre suggestion.

Raiding the European market for a cheaper but clearly talented Little Wes type player is the way to go.

You might be in for a shock if you think we are going to be spending Fofana sorts of cash.

Just now, Messi said:

You’ll struggle to see a better first half individual defensive performance than that this season. Absolutely colossal 👏🏼

I was just about to say that. He has been an absolute warrior tonight. I could see only one misplaced pass towards the end but otherwise he has kept us in this game. 

• Like 2