Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

One year with the option of a second year if we survive in the Prem would have been ideal for both parties. Absolutely bonkers decision by the club to agree to 3 years when they don't even know if whoever the new manager will be will even fancy him. But then this is a club that has made a habit of it in the past 3/4 years. Reeks of when we gave a 32 year old Jonny Evans another 3 years.

• Like 1

Don't see the need for this given Enzo left and we have people like Coady, Nelson, and Souttar who haven't been utilised. Guess it was offered prior to Enzo leaving though and so can't be too harsh on the club.

The length of the contract is a bit odd and looks like we haven't learnt lessons to me, but I guess you've got to weigh up what the cost of a 1+1 or a straight 3 is. Whole contract cost is the most relevant.

11 minutes ago, Seventyseven said:

If we get Cooper we aren’t playing out from the back. 

3 years is madness. 

Which means Cooper will not be our manager :dunno:

15 minutes ago, guest123 said:

3 years is absolutely mental, did the club actually even bother checking his age? as many have said, seems we haven't learnt anything

It's not mental. At worst it's a year longer than what most would've liked, but we don't know the actual terms of the contract, so we are speculating on very little information.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is on reduced wages, with the trade-off being an extra year on his contract so the total value stays the same. 

We would then get to reduce our wage bill and even have secured him for longer.

Maybe there is a clause allowing him to leave early for some pay off if it all goes pearshaped. Maybe there is some safety with reduced wages upon relegation or even realistic release clauses - we just don't and likely never will know. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shen said:

It's not mental. At worst it's a year longer than what most would've liked, but we don't know the actual terms of the contract, so we are speculating on very little information.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is on reduced wages, with the trade-off being an extra year on his contract so the total value stays the same. 

Maybe there is a clause allowing him to leave early for some pay off if it all goes pearshaped. Maybe there is some safety with reduced wages upon relegation or even realistic release clauses - we just don't and likely never will know. 

that's some heavy lifting there

4 minutes ago, shen said:

I'd be fxxking amazed. What exactly is the incentive there then for Vestegaard? Seems that you're saying we pay him the contract to the same value over 3 years as 2. So he's doing a years more work for the same money?

13 minutes ago, shen said:

You just have to have faith the lunatics aren't STILL in control , but it doesn't look good 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, JimJams said:

I'd be fxxking amazed. What exactly is the incentive there then for Vestegaard? Seems that you're saying we pay him the contract to the same value over 3 years as 2. So he's doing a years more work for the same money?

He knows he won't get as good a deal elsewhere, that's why. Except for top European clubs or other PL clubs, no-one will get close.

Edit: he openly refused going to the MiddleEast, so his only other realistic options will be with a much lower wage.

Edited by shen

Yes but what you've suggested is that a trade off has been offered where instead of being offered 2 seasons, he's been offered 3 on a reduced wage which results in the same amount of money being paid to him. Which is absolutely ridiculous. 

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've just worded it in a way that means my interpretation of what you've said isn't what you're actually suggesting happened.

He may well be a decent CD in the championship but if he is going to be a starter in the PL it’s going to be an even harder slog than some are already thinking it’s going to be.

There are a few reasonable quick players in the Championship but the blistering pace that we saw in the cup against Chelsea showed exactly why he shouldn’t be even close to a 3 year deal.

Season 24/25 will see pace through the middle, pace out wide and pace from midfield the like of which none of the Championship teams have. That Chelsea game when he was run by Jackson, was embarrassing but it’s not just the Speed across the ground that is  just part of the issue it’s also the speed of thought . At set pieces he will be fine if it’s in the air but more and more clubs are looking to change angles and the like

He has played I think a total of 72 games at PL level and I honestly think he will struggle to get to 100 he will be cruelly exposed and that then will put extra pressure alongside whoever is picked to play with him

I just can’t but help scratch my head 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

It’s cheaper to give him the deal and keep him than it is to replace him 

Sorry but you know that how ? There are loan opportunities from abroad or even  at PL level but we know what you are going to get from him and sorry I  can’t see any planning even in the medium term has taken place and we all know what they say if you fail to plan 

This who matter smacks of panic 

1 hour ago, Terraloon said:

He may well be a decent CD in the championship but if he is going to be a starter in the PL it’s going to be an even harder slog than some are already thinking it’s going to be.

There are a few reasonable quick players in the Championship but the blistering pace that we saw in the cup against Chelsea showed exactly why he shouldn’t be even close to a 3 year deal.

Season 24/25 will see pace through the middle, pace out wide and pace from midfield the like of which none of the Championship teams have. That Chelsea game when he was run by Jackson, was embarrassing but it’s not just the Speed across the ground that is  just part of the issue it’s also the speed of thought . At set pieces he will be fine if it’s in the air but more and more clubs are looking to change angles and the like

He has played I think a total of 72 games at PL level and I honestly think he will struggle to get to 100 he will be cruelly exposed and that then will put extra pressure alongside whoever is picked to play with him

I just can’t but help scratch my head 

Not every team in PL has players like Chelsea do. Probably this year we are in a mini league with Forest,  Southampton,  Ipswich etc. Imo Chelsea are top 6 really and the top 6 teams, on their day, make mugs of most teams outside top 6. So, to use Chelsea players as a stick to beat Vesty with is, in my opinion, a bit harsh. Vestegaard has many qualities, and, like most players in teams like ours, has weaknesses. It's where we're at. Hopefully we can get back to being top 10 sooner rather than later and we can upgrade the squad. We'll see soon enough how we get on.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

Not every team in PL has players like Chelsea do. Probably this year we are in a mini league with Forest,  Southampton,  Ipswich etc. Imo Chelsea are top 6 really and the top 6 teams, on their day, make mugs of most teams outside top 6. So, to use Chelsea players as a stick to beat Vesty with is, in my opinion, a bit harsh. Vestegaard has many qualities, and, like most players in teams like ours, has weaknesses. It's where we're at. Hopefully we can get back to being top 10 sooner rather than later and we can upgrade the squad. We'll see soon enough how we get on.

Of course they don’t all have players as fast as Chelsea but even clubs like Forest have the likes of Odi who has pace but as I pointed out it’s not just the speed over the ground it’s the speed of thought 

Even then that’s not my  only point is  the fact he has given a 3 year deal which means if he struggles as much as I feel he will  he certainly won’t be going anywhere 

Edited by Terraloon

If he left we'd have needed to replace him. That would have cost a lot in fees and then wages. It would also count against us for FFP.

Two years makes more sense but three is perhaps the perfect compromise to get him to sign while the money is tight. 

Sorting this also allows us to strengthen (spend) elsewhere. 

Also, imagine if we get a (small) fee for him in a year or two. We'd be FFP up!