Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

If any of us on here would have said 2-3 years ago that he would be starting - and bossing - even one game for us in the Premier League in 2024, you / I / they would have been laughed out of the room.

We were under the cosh for a lot of the game yesterday, but he was solid as a rock. Credit Wout as well, but he kept losing Solanke for those headers which Mads mercifully mopped up. I don't recall Vesty getting beaten in the air by comparison.

Absolutely fair play Jannik, you're fast becoming one of my favourite players. Don't think there's been a turnaround in a player's form and standing like this at the club since... well, a certain Mr. Vardy was pretty pants in his first year for us. 

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 3

Love to see it. A low block.

its not rocket science, we don’t have the quickest centre backs but playing this system means they don’t have run back 90% of the game like headless chickens and have the other players in and around them to track back and regain our defensive shape.

we will get caught out a few times by a rapid striker, but keep the faith in these two.

• Like 2

I thought he had a very decent game the other night. One thing that worries me though is he's always looking to nip in front of the attacker to win the ball and usually clumsily bundles into them. Worried he's gonna give away a fair few penalties or dangerous free kicks this season

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I thought he had a very decent game the other night. One thing that worries me though is he's always looking to nip in front of the attacker to win the ball and usually clumsily bundles into them. Worried he's gonna give away a fair few penalties or dangerous free kicks this season

I think he was quite clever, every time he did this he pushed quite high up and had cover behind him. This should mean it’s not always in a dangerous area.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bryn said:

Aye he’s fine in a lower block.

We really should have played a low block the season we went down. We’d have stayed up, all we had to do was shithouse a few more points.

We should have played Vestergaard Soyunchu. Iverson then we would of stayed up

• Like 4

On 20/08/2024 at 09:02, trooky said:

A Very solid game and not sure why it's a surprise to everyone.

He's a Danish international with 50 PL games and 185 Bundesliga games experience before we signed him.

It's only Rodgers ridiculous treatment of him who choose to play Amartey over him that  created this hatred towards him.

He was really bad whenever he played under Rodgers if we're being honest apart from the odd game. Fair play to him though he has really turned his career around here.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

He was really bad whenever he played under Rodgers if we're being honest apart from the odd game. Fair play to him though he has really turned his career around here.

It was like asking a Shotputter to enter the 100m at the Olympics though, and that wasn’t his fault.

I do agree though, he was a disaster.

On 20/08/2024 at 08:44, OntarioFox said:

If any of us on here would have said 2-3 years ago that he would be starting - and bossing - even one game for us in the Premier League in 2024, you / I / they would have been laughed out of the room.

We were under the cosh for a lot of the game yesterday, but he was solid as a rock. Credit Wout as well, but he kept losing Solanke for those headers which Mads mercifully mopped up. I don't recall Vesty getting beaten in the air by comparison.

Absolutely fair play Jannik, you're fast becoming one of my favourite players. Don't think there's been a turnaround in a player's form and standing like this at the club since... well, a certain Mr. Vardy was pretty pants in his first year for us. 

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/132854-vestergaard-to-anderlecht/?do=findComment&comment=7085831

It’s simple, He’s never been a bad player and I always said this. He should never have been signed by us though, he was never going to suit us with our playing style.

Its the exact same scenario with Maguire at United, he didn’t turn to trash overnight and no surprise he was brilliant for us and England but woeful for united.

Square pegs and round holes and all that… They both are brilliant players in a low block but god awful with a high line 

Edit- When I say he should never have been signed I meant at the time, he will do well for us in this playing style.

Edited by CountesthorpeFox1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

It’s simple, He’s never been a bad player and I always said this. He should never have been signed by us though, he was never going to suit us with our playing style.

Its the exact same scenario with Maguire at United, he didn’t turn to trash overnight and no surprise he was brilliant for us and England but woeful for united.

Square pegs and round holes and all that… They both are brilliant players in a low block but god awful with a high line 

Edit- When I say he should never have been signed I meant at the time, he will do well for us in this playing style.

Maguire was good for us but never brilliant, his limitations were clear in my opinion. He merited a move to a bigger club but not as a marquee signing and club captain. His level was always upper Prem with modest ambitions in Europe and a decent England career.

Not sure why any of our players get judged off of the back of playing or not bodgers ball.

His whole treatment of players and tactics was totally wrong. I'm surprised it took so long to go sour. He suffered little man syndrome, I'm the boss I'll treat you however I want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Sigh *upvotes post from a year ago* :fishing:

Think you'll have to go digging before the Championship season began to really make the point though. A lot of us could already see Vestergaard was better than we'd given credit for by a month into last season.

He's been excellent since Enzo brought him back into the fold. He was a standout performer last season.

I wouldn't call him slow It's just a pity he's lost that short distance burst of pace so often needed at the back in the Premier league.

It's going to be interesting to see if Okoli can take his place or not. I'm guessing we'll him as a 3 with Okoli and Faes at some point.

Maybe in games where Cooper fancies our chances and pushes others further upfield.