Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Stephy Mavididi

18 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Thing is, this post could have been written near enough word for word about Grealish while he was at Villa, dude was talented but single minded and selfish, working with Pep improved his team game no end. No reason Enzo can't do the same with Mavididi 

...Grealish carried Villa on his back, everything but everything went through him!!!

As usual Pep brings a player in to learn the ropes getting little game time and brings them into the team after a season.  Ferguson did the same and Mahrez had the same treatment. 

You are not going to have a player doing his own thing, playing for Pep.

16 hours ago, Lewis's Junior said:

I shouldn't hark back to the nightmares of last season, but imagine what a difference if we'd have recruited him, Winks, Coady and Hermansen. The deliberate decision to stagnate still baffles me. 

Simply we should have kept Lookman. He was the only right winger we had who was proven to be EPL level (and now ripping it in Italy). We lost whatever balance we had left and given Rodgers’ boring one dimensional football and his negative mindset we were doomed.

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Our strength in depth in this division is a joke. Now we start hitting the 2-3 games a week period, as all teams pick up injuries, we will still have lots of good players to choose from. We even have players coming BACK from injuries that may make an impact, such as Braybrooke and Alves. Will they make an impact? No idea, but the emergence of McAteer means I wouldn't rule it out. Our depth probably gets us promoted.

The Southampton game made something abundantly clear with Mavididi, the guy is FAST. He was the player we were leaving furthest forward when defending corners because he was the outlet ball. Maresca knew Martin played a suicidally high line, and Mavididi was the one to take advantage of that. I'm interested to see how he does in the Liverpool game because with that kind of pace... maybe he can transition into a Premier League player after all. In the Premier League you get killed on the transition, as we found out countless times ourselves last season. If Mavididi gets the run on you, not many people are catching him.

Here are some player stats from the Championship last season. I looked at assists rather than goals as Wingers tend to be more about a combination of goals and assists than just goals. Based on this, I would be setting Mavididi a minimum target of 10 goals and 10 assists this season. So far he has 2 of both from 6 games, so on that run rate he could be getting as many as 15 of each. If he does, then he'll definitely be Premier League capable!

I was a bit underwhelmed in games prior to Southampton by Mavididi, but that game showed his true potential. It's a fact that he is stronger, taller, faster and a better dribbler than Harvey Barnes, and is hard-working. On paper, he should be able to be moulded into a good player and think he could get to the same standard as Bryan Mbeumo of Brentford, who got 9G, 8A last season.

Z0TJQyo.png

I’d love to Stephy put together all his raw attributes and with Enzo and his obsession to coaching/football (that’s a compliment) who knows what his ceiling might be.

One question, Matt Piper on RL (more than once) has actually questioned Stephy’s pace and said he didn’t think he was as electric as Barnes.

Do they do any stats on that type of thing in the Championship? Just curious if Pipes is going from the eye test or being fed numbers.

Edited by SafewayFox

7 hours ago, Wortho said:

But it was a good finish 

Winning the ball,then taking the ball from his own half, then sublimely tucking it away...great goal.

We should be giving the guy more plaudits than what he's getting.

I thought that's why we go to football matches.

• Like 2

2 things struck me in the interviews. Stephy "maybe could of made better decisions. Vardy if "Stephy passes the ball". He will get better, I like what I see in terms of attitude. This is where it all started to go wrong for Leicester not signing this type of profile of player, young hungry and with a point to prove.

5 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Grealish carried Villa on his back, everything but everything went through him!!!

As usual Pep brings a player in to learn the ropes getting little game time and brings them into the team after a season.  Ferguson did the same and Mahrez had the same treatment. 

You are not going to have a player doing his own thing, playing for Pep.

And that's my point, Grealish at villa was just always doing his own thing, working under pep has improved his all round game. Stephy is currently doing his own thing as well, that's not a surprise, if he had consistency and good decision making he'd be joining a top six side for 50m, not a championship side for sub 10m, but Enzo will have seen how pep operates with players like Grealish and Mahrez and can hopefully bring that to Stephy 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

To me, it looks like he has so much ability.

He can beat a man, face them down, has good ball control, is quick, has a trick or two, knows when to pass or dribble during the build-up phase, can drop a shoulder, can roll his man, is strong, can cut inside and go on the outside and clearly backs himself to score goals.

I just think he often has a bit of a weak shot and sometimes his shooting technique lets him down. Also he should've squared the ball on three times, including for the goal he did score, which could have resulted in one or two more goals based on the quality of the chances. It'll be interesting to see if he takes things on himself in tighter games and what the reaction will be if he misses.

Now I don't think he's in the following player's bracket by any means, but Mo Salah has always needed a lot of chances to put goals away. But Liverpool have always created a lot during Salah's time there. Sometimes even Salah's finishing is absolutely baffling.

So, I'm willing to cut Mavididi a bit of slack because if we can keep creating he will get more goals. Plus, his movement, skill and passing also created Vardy and Ndidi's goals. He could do with a bit of refinement - and he will frustrate at times - but he could end up being an incredible signing for this level.

This is a good post about him. As a fan base we need to remember we’re in the championship and if he had all the attributes he wouldn’t be here. 

He’s raw and will frustrate for sure but will have the ability to win matches and over the course of the season will gain us points. 

Its Enzos job to make him a better player, I’d be dragging him in for a meeting on Monday morning to praise his performance but show him numerous clips of where he should be more composed and making different decisions, telling him even with a MOTM performance it’s these fine details stopping him from furthering himself as a player and it’s his choice if he wants to make it to the top because he has all the attributes.

• Thanks 1

Mavididi was great on the ball, and was a constant threat.  We could have scored 2-3 more if he squared the ball.  This will be critical against stronger opposition.  Glad we have him.  

Playing out from the back needs to be varied.  Saints were often all over us back there. Mix in a bit more long ball, including to Mavididi.  

17 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Harvey Barnes looked too good for this division when on loan at West Brom. That’s why we recalled him. 

There must be reasons why SM isn’t playing Premier League football at the age of 25? 

I know we quote Vardy very easily and his career and what happened is far from something we will likely see happen again.

But it could be a combination of just not getting the right breaks at the right time or never having a coach to guide him and unlock the potential. Of course we’d love all players to just figure out their flaws and sort their potential themselves but if so, we wouldn’t have coaches. Maybe he has finally caught a positive break and found the coach/manager to take him to the next level.

15 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I know we quote Vardy very easily and his career and what happened is far from something we will likely see happen again.

But it could be a combination of just not getting the right breaks at the right time or never having a coach to guide him and unlock the potential. Of course we’d love all players to just figure out their flaws and sort their potential themselves but if so, we wouldn’t have coaches. Maybe he has finally caught a positive break and found the coach/manager to take him to the next level.

I kind of ignore the Vardy example when people use it to make a point. He’s the exception that breaks almost any rule.

I wouldn’t write SM off by any means, but I just think we shouldn’t necessarily expect too much of him. He’s fine for this level and hopefully he’s one who can get better as we get better as a team. 

He clearly had potential in his earlier career. Let’s hope we can unlock it 

Just now, Jobyfox said:

I kind of ignore the Vardy example when people use it to make a point. He’s the exception that breaks almost any rule.

I wouldn’t write SM off by any means, but I just think we shouldn’t necessarily expect too much of him. He’s fine for this level and hopefully he’s one who can get better as we get better as a team. 

I do agree re Vardy which is why I say we use it too easily but you could apply some of the principles such as not having had the right breaks re coaching etc which is what Vardy got with us and Pearson. Obviously the level he reached is what will not happen again. 

But I don’t think we will reach that level again. There’s every chances SM can become a solid and successful PL player, not necessarily a top 6 or whatever but to suit our needs over the coming years.

10 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I do agree re Vardy which is why I say we use it too easily but you could apply some of the principles such as not having had the right breaks re coaching etc which is what Vardy got with us and Pearson. Obviously the level he reached is what will not happen again. 

But I don’t think we will reach that level again. There’s every chances SM can become a solid and successful PL player, not necessarily a top 6 or whatever but to suit our needs over the coming years.

I think we’re in agreement.

My only point was that, due to his career profile so far, you’d have his future potential very much in the possible rather than the probable 

I like this guy. Things happen when he's on the pitch. He takes on players, he creates chances, he provides assists, he scores goals - yeah he misses chances but he's also an outlet when we are under pressure. Hope Enzo starts him for 70 minutes and Macca for 60 mins against Norwich. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Was trying to figure out if him and Vardy have a bit of banter going on

I don't think it is banter. I reckon Vards was genuinely annoyed about Stephy not passing the ball to him with that chance that he missed before he scored the 4th goal. Vards said one thing to the Sky interviewer but completely the opposite to the Fox hub interviewer about the incident. 

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

...pretty much the right place at the right time!!!

In this age where players are continually being assessed, you would think reviewing their performance the next day, their shortcomings would be pointed out and explained at length.

Lookman was always in the review room, looking to improve, I suppose not all players look at the game that way.

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

OK what about Olise at Palace or Eze also at Palace and same age, Eze didn't have amazing stats at QPR, but when placed in the prem his game has raised.

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

I think we’re in agreement.

My only point was that, due to his career profile so far, you’d have his future potential very much in the possible rather than the probable 

Definitely. Reminds me a bit of Lloyd Dyer in his strengths and if he had ironed out his weaknesses, he’d have been at the top. Shame we never got to see him in the Prem for us but yeah, I reckon SM is a bit like him.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Was trying to figure out if him and Vardy have a bit of banter going on

Vards has definitely said the passing comment as banter but hopefully Enzo will reinforce it. He's definitely got the right attitude to improve, and take feedback on board, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP Fox said:

I don't think it is banter. I reckon Vards was genuinely annoyed about Stephy not passing the ball to him with that chance that he missed before he scored the 4th goal. Vards said one thing to the Sky interviewer but completely the opposite to the Fox hub interviewer about the incident. 

Think Vards will be thinking what Enzo is thinking as in we won the game move on, but in those tighter games, better decisions are needed.