Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Stephy Mavididi

Wingers are streaky by nature but in the main, I’ve been more disappointed than excited by Stephy.

His numbers are low for a side that have won 13/16 but most importantly his technique, particularly in the most crucial moments have been found lacking.

He has an engine on him, tracks back and will be on relatively low wages hopefully so happy if he’s a back up player (if we get promoted) but would have loved more from him at this level.

• Like 2

Mavididi wasn't the problem on Saturday. He came up against a very good full back who was also being protected by one of the CBs.

The real problem was Mav was being exposed one to one with no support. KDH was playing too much on the right side.

This made it a lot easier for the FB to mark Mav knowing he was going to have to try and get pass him as his only option.

With KDH or Kelechi on the inside he would have had someone to pass too and get in behind the FB.

Equally JJ was busy trying to contain there attacking threat down the right to offer much support.

I also thought JJ has lost some of his pace since his injuries which makes him less inclined to go too far forward on an overlap.

I was surprised Enzo allowed it to continue for so long and not tell KDH to get back over to the 10 position.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Royston. said:

Give me a winger who is on it every game and I'll give you a £90 million PSG player

Nobody is even saying "on it every game" lol  Wingers like him are in and out of games, I think everyone knows that.

Personally I like him but he hasn't been "on it" for weeks now. Saturday he should have been dragged off (but that was more on the manager) as he couldn't get out their full backs pocket.

A lot of people always throw stats around, and Mavididi has scored 3 goals for a side that has spent all season top of the league. I thought he would have more goals than he has now.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Nobody is even saying "on it every game" lol  Wingers like him are in and out of games, I think everyone knows that.

Personally I like him but he hasn't been "on it" for weeks now. Saturday he should have been dragged off (but that was more on the manager) as he couldn't get out their full backs pocket.

Who do you reckon was gonna come on and get the better of Isiah Jones who was in immense form defensively?

Bear in mind Kasey did absolutely nothing and actually had a net negative effect on the team so had to come off for Fatawu.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

A lot of people always throw stats around, and Mavididi has scored 3 goals for a side that has spent all season top of the league. I thought he would have more goals than he has now.

I thought he played well against Leeds. Mavididi does have his off games offensively but defensively he is always putting in the work tracking back which i think should give him more leeway with the fans than he is getting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Levi Port said:

I’ve been very impressed with Mavididi, especially hes desire to do well. He’s a goal scorer, a striker playing on the wing and we need to help him, he’s isolated out there. 

...he is poor infront of goal, for someone of his age he has no idea about finishing, just hit it as hard as I  can and hope it isn't  down the keepers throat!!!

He does not supply, a few step overs everytime he gets the ball, he is far too predictable.

Switching the wingers may just get them to give a better service to the 8's and striker. Going down the line driving into the box will give them the opportunity to lay the ball off with their better foot, cut backs are not something they seem to understand, it will be natural to do so playing this way.

As an inverted winger they both appear unable to play that role, we need to take them back to basics.

They very very much need extra coaching.

9 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Just implying there is a reason why he is at this level.

After his bright start he raised expectations and everyone is disappointed he hasnt sustained it.

22 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Mavididi wasn't the problem on Saturday. He came up against a very good full back who was also being protected by one of the CBs.

The real problem was Mav was being exposed one to one with no support. KDH was playing too much on the right side.

This made it a lot easier for the FB to mark Mav knowing he was going to have to try and get pass him as his only option.

With KDH or Kelechi on the inside he would have had someone to pass too and get in behind the FB.

Equally JJ was busy trying to contain there attacking threat down the right to offer much support.

I also thought JJ has lost some of his pace since his injuries which makes him less inclined to go too far forward on an overlap.

I was surprised Enzo allowed it to continue for so long and not tell KDH to get back over to the 10 position.

Don't think JJ has lost any pace. With the inverted full back on the right, his role on the left side of defence is to tuck in to form a back 3 when we're in possession. So he doesn't really have the license to get forward. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Levi Port said:

We don’t at all provide either winger with enough opportunities to get in dangerous areas. 

We play it to them wide and expect them to beat three, get into the box and score, that’s not going to happen more than a couple of times a season. 

One two’s from KDH and the other 8, along with the 9 slipping them in has to happen far more often that it is. Barnes scored no end of goals from a one two, we have to give these boys the same service. 

I’ve been very impressed with Mavididi, especially hes desire to do well. He’s a goal scorer, a striker playing on the wing and we need to help him, he’s isolated out there. 

What I would like to see occasionally..He often cuts inside a few times,just across the penalty box ,here I would like to see  a couple of things more often..

#  suddenly square up and take on the 2-3 defenders & space behind

He might lose the ball sometimes,but he has the technic,that

i) he could have some joy & get through

ii).he would draw out a free kick or penalty

iii) Sometimes Hes not sure or confused of his own end pass, & movement  is                                           
         broken down  both he and Fatawu  should be told or coached that

they should either chip,or cross to that space

on the cusp of the other side of the 6 yard box..Fatawu has done it 

Several times even if has a defense-group you might be aware,

its hard to defend when deliberate,and the forward is more prepared

9 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Don't think JJ has lost any pace. With the inverted full back on the right, his role on the left side of defence is to tuck in to form a back 3 when we're in possession. So he doesn't really have the license to get forward. 

Agree with this,plus JJ does use his pace if when attacking that corner space,when supporting Mavadidi/KDH,or even occasionally being there from the build up..

but his defensive duties,make it a rarity..Though 2-3 times in a game,he takes that opportunity….I do think it’s something that Enzo sets up to when attacking & is aware the team might lose out if it quickly does break down ,hoping  then either Winks , Mavadidi or Choudhury are on hand to help Vestergaard cover.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, FLAN said:

Am I alone in wondering how he’s playing so much?  Not muc end product and seems to lack awareness of when to come and attack the box when it’s on the other wing 

don’t rate him 

Yet produced our best bit of quality with the assist. 

Slim pickings down that wing - do have to ask why he hasn’t been changed more regularly 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I think he's decent, he's not exceptional enough to run that flank on his own though. 

It's not as if we don't have high calibre over lapping fullbacks in Ricardo and Justin either. We've been shafted on this system though. 

Ric you’ve gone from wingers now onto overlapping full backs. You are getting old