Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Stephy Mavididi

2 hours ago, FLAN said:

Am I alone in wondering how he’s playing so much?  Not muc end product and seems to lack awareness of when to come and attack the box when it’s on the other wing 

don’t rate him 

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Yet produced our best bit of quality with the assist. 

Slim pickings down that wing - do have to ask why he hasn’t been changed more regularly 

2 hours ago, FLAN said:

Appears to me he doesn’t focus constantly and off the ball he is lacking awareness 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think he's decent, he's not exceptional enough to run that flank on his own though. 

It's not as if we don't have high calibre over lapping fullbacks in Ricardo and Justin either. We've been shafted on this system though. 

Believe he is being terribly underrated, he puts pressure and the press down the left hand side.

He is one of my favourite players,his runs won’t always work,but again tonight a good outlet and the runs he made were good,no poor crosses,made 4-6 runs that his teammates didn’t see or want to see,then their own assumed move fizzled out,

where his run would have opened up space or even a chance…

Mavadidi,Fatawu,Mcateer  are least of my worries…Ditto Ndidi & KDH…

Agun still needs a few games,  Castadei still needs time but is struggling right now,hoping he steps up starting 2024.

but that 3rd player covering,playing with Ndidi and KDH, we seem to be missing. One hopes Praet can get over any injury

doubts and fill that hole..

We seem not to accept where we are,that WE yes WE are the team to beat,and are only happy disecting  every considered weakness..Instead of throwing down the guantlet..and say admit,we will have twists and turns, burps & hiccups,but stand by

our new manager & system,and show we believe it will take time to develope,but progress will be seen in performance & skillset

• Like 3

The one thing I did like last night, which we haven’t seen enough of this season, was one of our wingers assisting the other at the back post. 

Mavididi gets it at the edge of the box, and rather than driving for the byline he switches it with a beautiful cross to Fatawu who’s attacked the back post with an intelligent run and found himself in 5 yards of open space. Great chest control and finish.

We haven’t created that combination enough imo, and if one of our #8s hasn’t made the run into the box we often got just have the lone striker to aim for which has a much lower % outcome. 

Edited by LCCFox96

17 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

The one thing I did like last night, which we haven’t seen enough of this season, was one of our wingers assisting the other at the back post. 

Mavididi gets it at the edge of the box, and rather than driving for the byline he switches it with a beautiful cross to Fatawu who’s attacked the back post with an intelligent run and found himself in 5 yards of open space. Great chest control and finish.

We haven’t created that combination enough imo, and if one of our #8s hasn’t made the run into the box we often got just have the lone striker to aim for which has a much lower % outcome. 

...the idea was to flood the box with more attackers, at the start of the season!!!

We are not too keen  on doing so having seen how open we are to be countered, so we do not over commit. Maresca's style is being watered down with its potency, but very strong in our defensive duties.

The winger on the back post should be a given,it is basic, but Mavididi's crossing is not the best and as an inverted winger he is always going to see that option to be played, else it is to the byline and crossing with his wrong foot.

I still believe they need to switch wings, as you can then play balls into the box a second or more quicker with one touch than, controlling the ball, squaring up the defender and then trying  and failing to beat him. You have to get the defenders off balance, we allow them to get set, a first time pass into the box and they need to sort out their feet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

Shouldn’t be getting criticised really. He’s our only real threat at the moment. No decent striker to link up with, no-one overlapping, not many options in the box for an early cross, only option is backwards (as always) or to try to beat his defender. Our reliance on wingers to pull some magic out of nowhere is quite concerning. 

I just want our wingers to make the right decisions tbh, I'm not expecting constant magic.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Mavididi is a good example of the sort of player I think people have a habit of really under estimating the impact of because he can be frustrating to watch. His predecessor, Barnes, had the same issue. Don't think a lot of fans ever fully appreciated just how good Barnes stats were both scoring and creating. 

Mavididi isn't on that level but then he cost us like six million quid and signed for us in the Championship so what were people's expectations exactly? 

But for some context, of everyone in our squad, only KDH with 5.39 (also massively under valued on here) makes more "Shot Creating Actions" per 90 minutes than Mavididi's 4.25. That ranks KDH and Mavididi as 7th and 20th in the league respectively. 

For broader context, Giorgino Rutter at Leeds is having a bit of a renaissance this year and has found his level well. He's one of the main creative forces at Leeds and is regarded as one of the leagues best players. He makes 4.73 shot creating actions per 90 minutes of game time ranking him 15th.

Given a fair few of the players ranking about KDH and Mavididi have only played a handful of games, we can look at the total Shot and Goal creating actions and Mavididi ranks 9th in the league for SCA with 68. Rutter is 7th with 78, KDH 4th with 89, Summerville and Clarke are 2nd and 1st with 92 and 98 respectively. 

As for Goal Creating Actions, KDH is actually leading the league with 13. Rutter is joint second with 12. Mavididi has 10 putting him joint 5th.

For those of you who cringe and stop listening any time a stat that isn't just Goals and Assists is mentioned and are staring at the screen saying "what the fvck is a goal creating action?" we can look at pure assists. 

Mavididi has 4. That makes him our second highest and joint 11th in the league. KDH is 4th with 6. He has 7 Goals and Assists combined which is only one less than Joel Piroe and Nathan Broadhead who most of you would recruit in a heartbeat. 

Dribbling, he's third in the league progressive carries, with more than Summerville, Roberts and KDH. Passing, he's our second highest Key Passer (after, you guessed it, KDH) with 32 ranking him 12th overall.

Defensively, he's 52nd in the league for challenges attempted with 29 ranking him only below Winks and Pereira in our squad. There is not a single forward at Leicester, Leeds, Ipswich or West Brom that has attempted more challenges than Stephy Mavididi, it isn't even close. In fact, there are only five forwards in the league who have attempted more (and all of them play for teams with considerably lower possession.)

TLDR: Mavididi is doing fine. He gets a bit more criticism than he deserves imo because he can appear wasteful, he's tasked with committing defenders and taking them on and quite frankly he doesn't have the dribbling success that someone like Fatawu does so, yes, he gives the ball away a bit. He can be frustrating in his decision making and he obviously doesn't look like a player that would set the Prem on fire. But he was cheap, he's solid and so far he's easily our most threatening and productive player outside of KDH who is objectively too good for this level. 

He's ahead of Fatawu in almost every metric except succesful take ons, even when you factor for the fact he's had a lot more game time. Fatawu doesn't come close to Mavididi's chance creation even per 90.

Give Stephy your love. 

Great post.

I like Mavididi. I think there are problems in the team, but Stephy isn't one of them.

Definitely has the potential to get better and better.

23 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Shouldn’t be getting criticised really. He’s our only real threat at the moment. No decent striker to link up with, no-one overlapping, not many options in the box for an early cross, only option is backwards (as always) or to try to beat his defender. Our reliance on wingers to pull some magic out of nowhere is quite concerning. 

It's not necessarily that our strikers aren't decent, it's more that they aren't being employed as strikers. Vardy and Iheanacho have at times been playing very deep, even to the point of covering fullback positions on the odd occasion! When that happens don't be surprised if our wingers get forward quickly, that they subsequently don't have anyone in the opposition box to pass to.

Essentially, our forwards appear to be playing as supplementary midfielders as is the current fashion for some, a bit like the current thinking of having a sweeper/goalkeeper. Both of these things are absolutely fine if the players you actually have can adequately fill those roles. In the case of the sweeper/goalkeeper I think we've signed a good one. In the case of the other position, I'd suggest Vardy and Iheanacho aren't suitable as it is openly obvious it doesn't playout to their best skill sets.

Learning a new system that is relevant is admirable but, once more than a couple of your players have their individual strengths dulled and their contributions subsequently weakened it effects the team as a whole and the system cannot achieve what it originally set's out to achieve. 

Some of our wins have occurred not because of Maresca's system, but more down to the fact that we have a better squad of players imo. So to a lesser extent this has echoes of Rodgers, except that at least Maresca's system is a viable one.

It's still early days though and you could rightly argue thst Maresca is still trying to find out who can adapt and who can't, which players are effective together and who isn't, so I've certainly not lost faith in him! He has to have a long term view as well as promotion ambitions. 

I do wish however that with a game like last night, that we'd start with our strongest team possible on the front foot then, if possible and ahead, make substitutions later to either give players a rest if needed or experiment. A should be easy three points in the bag are more important than thinking about your next opponents when in a league situation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Give Stephy your love. 

I think he's done pretty well to be honest, and there are clearly areas he should improve.  He works very hard and unlike Barnes puts a defensive shift in as well.  Against Watford he was taking on the defender quite a lot and should have had an assist after a lovely run and cross that Vardy skied. When you consider everything, he's not the problem.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm a little bit sympathetic with Mavididi. I think he's one of the biggest victims of our overly controlled build up.

...we can release him quicker, we just need someone who is switched on to play him in!!!

A Vestergaard with a  punched pass would see him up against his defender, just needs the support from the other wing coming in at the back post.

Looking to supply Cannon and playing the wingers on the side of their strongest foot, first-time balls whipped in with pace.

Mads

Souttar         Vestergaard        Justin

Ricardo   Winks

Mavididi      Ndidi      KDH       Fatawu

Cannon

47 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we can release him quicker, we just need someone who is switched on to play him in!!!

A Vestergaard with a  punched pass would see him up against his defender, just needs the support from the other wing coming in at the back post.

Looking to supply Cannon and playing the wingers on the side of their strongest foot, first-time balls whipped in with pace.

Mads

Souttar         Vestergaard        Justin

Ricardo   Winks

Mavididi      Ndidi      KDH       Fatawu

Cannon

That would require Justin making a forward pass overlapping. 

I would love to see him running at defenders onto a chipped ball rather than him getting the ball at the half way line with back to goal. 

Nothing wrong with him he just needs some competition. The fact he is unsubable is the main issue, no motivation. 

Were woefully understocked on the left hand side. If we hadn’t started so well and weren’t so close to January we might be in a bit of a mess! 

9 minutes ago, Richmondfox said:

That would require Justin making a forward pass overlapping. 

I would love to see him running at defenders onto a chipped ball rather than him getting the ball at the half way line with back to goal. 

...I do not think playing this way that he needs to support, the 2 #8s and the pivot are enough to support the wingers!!!

With the wingers receiving the ball with their stronger feet, they will be moving the ball quicker with one or two touches, with a better angle and understanding with slipping a pass through the CB and the full-back. They (the wingers) would be on their toes, not giving the defence or their keeper time to think, I think they would have a field day.

Lot of mixed opinion in this thread. He has a great engine. He keeps going. Sometimes he’s mustard, sometime he’s Mayo. Puts in a shift and tries, but what has he actually got to work with?  Don’t ever seem to have a forward attacking the spaces and providing a target. Just had to stop and come back usually.