Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Stephy Mavididi

55 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I hate the concept of leaving your best players to be impact subs. It's daft. 

If he starts you can push a team back from the offset, what's the point in having impact subs for when you're two nil down because you started the game with no attacking impetus and had no threat? 

He has to start. Ayew and Reid shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup unless we're trying to just park the bus and salvage a draw in a midweek away game when Fatawu or Mavididi are tired and need rotation. 

The only thing to blame is how we operated in the transfer market imo, it’s given us a dilemma regarding our wingers. 

I’m thoroughly in agreement that Mavididi should start, especially in home games. The downside though is as I mentioned yesterday, if we’re drawing or losing a game with Mavididi and Fatawu as our starting wingers, you’re then left looking towards Ayew and Reid as being impact substitutes, doesn’t really fill you with confidence does it. 

It’s a reason why I was baffled that we signed both Ayew and Reid, they just have far too many similarities. 

What we needed was another option who excels with pace and 1 vs 1 ability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I hate the concept of leaving your best players to be impact subs. It's daft. 

If he starts you can push a team back from the offset, what's the point in having impact subs for when you're two nil down because you started the game with no attacking impetus and had no threat? 

He has to start. Ayew and Reid shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup unless we're trying to just park the bus and salvage a draw in a midweek away game when Fatawu or Mavididi are tired and need rotation. 

100% this. we need impact subs at the moment because we're setting up far too negative and trying to defend games. we've had a total of one shot in the first halves of our two home games so far, but there's very few teams that we can just invite that sort of pressure from, so we fall behind and need an impact to change that. any talk of who will be an impact sub is an admission that the initial setup isn't right

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingfox said:

This is a potential problem we’re gonna have this season I feel. 

Are they impactful enough players to change a game, probably not. Mavididi has strengths that make him a perfect impact substitute, pace and 1 vs 1 ability against tired defences. Unlikely that Ayew and Reid will give us anything like that, especially Reid. 

Ayew has strength though that can be equally as problematic for tiring defences to deal with. Reid at this stage seems to be the one I'm not sure where he fits in. El Khannouss and Bounanotte are the creative outlets, Fatawu the maverick. Hmmmm

Depends on the opposition. Tactic seems to be rightly or wrongly soak up pressure and stay in the game then attack second half v teams who are better than us. 

Starting him Abdul and facundo works v Southampton home but I'm not sure it does if we need defensive elements

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ayew has strength though that can be equally as problematic for tiring defences to deal with. Reid at this stage seems to be the one I'm not sure where he fits in. El Khannouss and Bounanotte are the creative outlets, Fatawu the maverick. Hmmmm

Id be starting ayew up front instead of vardy.

He has been very good up to now.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

Thought the same yesterday. Vardy doing nothing off the ball and ayew could hold the ball much better and get us up the pitch 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Where’s this sudden faith in Ayew come from Ric? 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kenny said:

Doesn't take up striking positions, there's a reason he barely scores and it's not because he's an abysmal finisher. He simply doesn't attack the box with consistency, is often behind the play even when deployed through the middle.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

He was pretty decent yesterday, put a good shift in.

That’s what he’s known for, but is he going to be the type of guy to bring on when we’re chasing the game? 

We’ll have to wait and see, but at this moment in time I’m not that confident, same with Reid. 

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

That’s what he’s known for, but is he going to be the type of guy to bring on when we’re chasing the game? 

We’ll have to wait and see, but at this moment in time I’m not that confident, same with Reid. 

Graft is an underrated quality.

• Like 1

Regarding Mavididi- he seems the one player atm capable of getting behind defences and I think he has a decent goalscoring potential. I think for his own morale he needs to be starting more games than he is. The question is of course whether he will be as effective when full backs are fresh but it is up to him to show that he can be.

Of course we have Edouard to factor in- Ayew will know his game well so that could be a good combination. Ayew can of course play on either wing. On some occasions Abdul could make a great impact substitute with Ayew starting on the right.. I think Cooper is going to have his work cut out finding the right combinations and rotating them enough to keep everyone feeling in the loop. I also think it is important that Cooper makes changes early in games- I thought 68 mins was quite late yesterday and Vardy suddenly had a lot more service to cope with.

Impact subs are all well and good if you have a strong starting line up. You bring them on to enhance or change the way the team is playing. Keeping one of your best players on the bench so they can create an impact later is mental. Play your best players from the start and you hopefully won’t be so reliant on an impact from the bench later.