Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burton 0-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

What you saw in the highlights was basically all the goalmouth action there was. What do you want Sky to do? Invent action that never happened with CGI?

Football is more than goalmouth action, I would like to see extended highlights of the way both teams played with the ball in the other areas of the pitch. Or more specifically how we were with the ball and we were off the ball when they had the ball.

If  all I cared about was goal scoring opportunities I would never watch live.

Edited by Chrysalis

3 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I didn’t see it, but I’ve just read that Albrighton in the post match interview said the club has had no leadership in recent years… ? It would be great if they’re all lining up to have a pop at Rodgers! 

Pretty sure in the context of the question, he was referring to the team/squad.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

There was a moment after that bizarre first half corner when the game was so free of atmosphere, it felt like it was being played on the moon 

Think this was when there was a bit of a scare in the middle of the stand to our right where people seemed to be frantically signalling to stewards, medics etc that there was a serious medical emergency.

Think the whole ground was just watching this unfold, wondering whether the game should be stopped whilst being baffled at the slow reaction of staff, and then subsequently being completely perplexed as the fan in question just appeared to walk off the terrace and take a seat in the disabled area as if nothing had happened. Was a very odd few minutes.

The atmosphere in general though was fvcking crap. Wasn’t expecting much but I’d have been embarrassed if we’d turned out that as a non-league club. ‘We’ve got the ball’ has to stop, immediately.

Only saving grace was the 10 min spell where we paid homage to our old players. That was good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, C-man said:

Think this was when there was a bit of a scare in the middle of the stand to our right where people seemed to be frantically signalling to stewards, medics etc that there was a serious medical emergency.

Think the whole ground was just watching this unfold, wondering whether the game should be stopped whilst being baffled at the slow reaction of staff, and then subsequently being completely perplexed as the fan in question just appeared to walk off the terrace and take a seat in the disabled area as if nothing had happened. Was a very odd few minutes.

The atmosphere in general though was fvcking crap. Wasn’t expecting much but I’d have been embarrassed if we’d turned out that as a non-league club. ‘We’ve got the ball’ has to stop, immediately.

Only saving grace was the 10 min spell where we paid homage to our old players. That was good.

Yep, I was hoping that our away ends might improve after relegation, and I guess you can't compare yesterday with a regular league game,  but a terrace against a local side you'd think would make for a decent end....it was truly awful.

13 hours ago, Bptiger said:

Gee I thought when we got rid of Rodgers we would play a different type of football coming out from the back , a better team than burton would have punished us playing those stupid passes from goal kicks , we put ourselves under pressure when ur 2 up , for god sake u just need to put the ball up into there half and let them make a mistake 

Agree 

I don't know why,but people don't or can't think like that today..So many sheep...look how many responded & HOW...

It's like the emperor's clothes,if one  believe football must always like

pepball , one considers you & I some type of  a geek..

I don't mind playing from the back,but not every move...if you are putting the ball in the opposition half & retaining more of the ball, it's the Opposition who have to take action defend, over think, & make the mistakes..Turn it around and you are the ones making the mistakes too slow to react when your own pass goes astray...Pressing in the opponent's half,they make the failure, try it from deep in your own half...your more fcuked every game than the opposition.

If our defence is so good,or just better, than driving forward against lower opposition shouldn't ( hate that word in sport) be too difficult to score 3+ goals..The opposition last night had a couple of injuries,and no matter how they stood,they were there for the taking,

sometimes you have to drop those Enzoball tactics and play the easy flowing type of passes higher up the field..and go for broke attacking the oppos goal..

We have improved on  Rodgerball because we react and play it better..BUT flexibility must be the name of the game..sometimes let go of the reigns and play the simple game..!!

That's why we need a technical playmaker who's also hard & savvy & can read the game...and is willing to ignore hardbound stick-to-it tactics.

We are British and a few heuks & viking tactics, mixed with foreign smooth lending to the genius over thought moments..Will pay better dividends.

Even Einstein understood the power of the occasional simple solution..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Agree 

I don't know why,but people don't or can't think like that today..So many sheep...look how many responded & HOW...

I don't mind playing from the back,but not every move...if you are putting the ball in the opposition half & retaining more of the ball, it's the Opposition who have to take action defend, over think, & make the mistakes..Turn it around and you are the ones making the mistakes too slow to react when your own pass goes astray...Pressing in the opponent's half,they make the failure, try it from deep in your own half...your more fcuked every game than the opposition.

If our defence is so good,or just better, than driving forward against lower opposition shouldn't ( hate that word in sport) be too difficult to score 3+ goals..The opposition last night had a couple of injuries,and no matter how they stood,they were there for the taking,

sometimes you have to drop those Enzoball tactics and play the easy flowing type of passes higher up the field..and go for broke attacking the oppos goal..

We have improved on  Rodgerball because we react and play it better..BUT flexibility must be the name of the game..sometimes let go of the reigns and play the simple game..!!

That's why we need a technical playmaker who's also hard & savvy & can read the game...and is willing to ignore hardbound stick-to-it tactics.

We are British and a few heuks & viking tactics, mixed with foreign smooth lending to the genius over thought moments..Will pay better dividends.

Why does it matter if we won 2-0 or 5-0? having watched Oxford city's defending for the 5 goals they conceded against Bristol City, I have to give Burton a bit of credit for showing some resilience. Other teams will get tired chasing the ball. We will concede some goals playing that way, but the opposition also cannot score if we have possession. An we will score more in the long run than some hopeful punt expecting the opposition to make mistakes. We are not playing league 1 every week, an in the long term we wanna be back in the premiership, so I'm guessing the idea is to try to achieve premiership standards. Currently our defending and attacking are not premiership, but good enough for the championship but hopefully by May our play will be at that level.

20 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Still, hardly flattering of the previous regime!

I think previously under Pearson & Ranieri we had a team full of captains. Pearson literally scouted on that basis. It kinda fell in place under Ranieri. Over time as we had to change our style, players left, and new ones joined this was watered down to very few influencers in the squad, and some who had ideas above their stations, and undermined the managers at times.

We don't need a team full of captains now, just players who all believe in one vision, and are all pulling in the same direction. I think maybe Marc was more or less alluding to that, as much as everyone who bears a grudge and wants to put all the blame on Rodgers. Sure he was culpable, but our cohesion as a group has been utterly weakened over time, be it self-interest (contracts), or again believing in their own hype.

It's a fresh start under Enzo, and I think from what I can see on the pitch, they are buying into it. So hopefully a bad game doesn't derail us, and fresh faces help us build in the right direction.

Personally as I can see Enzo not deciding who is captain until the end of the window. I suspect it'll be Coady, and possibly KDH as vice. Think this would be a solid choice and motivator.

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

...Pepball is a structured formulaic approach to the way the game is played!!!

Within that structure however is room for individuality, which brings a different element to the game. Once again, like jazz music, where the artiste plays within the structure and brings his individuality to the fore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

The change in Ndidi has been unreal, he showed glimpses on Sunday of being effective as a high 8, but last night I thought overall he was superb, some of his passing and he was actually looking to be progressive in everything he did, Don’t get me wrong I am not saying he is KDB or Bernardo but he can be really effective in that role and I see no reason why he couldn’t get to double figures. It’s also interesting to note he played more as the left side number 8, so well and truly out of his comfort zone and yet he looked at his most confident I have seen in the last couple of years.

Also there was a noticeable drop off when Winks went off, if he stays around and we don’t sign someone who can slot into that role, I think Praet could be the most like for like profile of player who could provide cover, he is neat and tidy in possession and is also disciplined, I think at Championship level he could more than be an adequate cover for Winks. 

It's not inconceivable that these two things may combine, that maybe, with his new approach, understanding and skills, maybe Ndidi could drop back to cover for Winks - it's arguable that he'd be no worse than Hamza, who doesn't really seem to be good enough.

7 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Comfortable game but that was because we made it so. Another chance for us to get used to the system which they’ve done incredibly well to have such an understanding already which is down to everyone buying into Enzo and his methods. I think last night we were a bit more organised defensively, when we lost the ball we seemed to close off the spaces quicker and chased the ball down to win it back much quicker. 

Ido also think we we just loooked to play the game out in the second half, work for fitness and avoid injuries.

As we did in the first half v coventry - the goal seemed to rattle us and give coventry a boost - and coventry are far superior to burton.  But, as you say, the more we play it, the more natural it will be.

5 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Football is more than goalmouth action, I would like to see extended highlights of the way both teams played with the ball in the other areas of the pitch. Or more specifically how we were with the ball and we were off the ball when they had the ball.

If  all I cared about was goal scoring opportunities I would never watch live.

It's a fair point - the amount of money they pay to show the games, you'd think they'd try to get their money's worth by having proper highlights shows and analysis.

2 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Why does it matter if we won 2-0 or 5-0? having watched Oxford city's defending for the 5 goals they conceded against Bristol City, I have to give Burton a bit of credit for showing some resilience. Other teams will get tired chasing the ball. We will concede some goals playing that way, but the opposition also cannot score if we have possession. An we will score more in the long run than some hopeful punt expecting the opposition to make mistakes. We are not playing league 1 every week, an in the long term we wanna be back in the premiership, so I'm guessing the idea is to try to achieve premiership standards. Currently our defending and attacking are not premiership, but good enough for the championship but hopefully by May our play will be at that level.

We all & often ping around ( not on) others posts,

I actually don't disagree with this..fair post..:)

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Agree 

Why are you going to "Go for broke" when you're 2-0 up? Burton were 2-0 down, and they didn't commit to try and get back in the game.

We were 2-0 up and decided to try and coast the rest of the game, which we did. You've also got to remember that we have a severe lack of attacking reinforcements, with regards to players who can progress the ball forwards, Daka and Vardy are not that type of player. We dominated the game against a league 1 side, whilst Leeds/Southampton/Cov were struggling and in some cases losing to even weaker sides. The reaction to how we played is as if it was the same level of performance as last season, where we needed penalties or fortune to get through against even weaker opposition. We've not dominated any side like that for a long long time.

Honestly, it gets to the point where I'm not sure if those criticising actually watched the game. At least 3/4 times in the first half alone we tried direct passes which could've led to key chances. Madvidua played 2 or 3 poor passes when he could've easily put someone through 1v1, whereas Albrighton and Praet both lacked the pace and quality to turn their direct runs and passes into chances, when both should've been 1v1.

In the first half alone we could've had 4/5 1v1 chances with the keeper had Madvidua's passing not been so poor, and had Praet and Albrighton had better control of the ball. All of Iheanacho/Praet/Albrighton/Ndidi made Vardyesque runs that our players tried to find, we were willing to go direct very often. It was impressive considering how little pace we had out there, and showed how the coaching has made so many of our least intelligent players (Albrighton being the best example) so much more aware.

Following on from my comments about someone I spoke to after the Cov game, I spoke to him again today:

He claimed it was too slow and has concerns about us attacking.

Put in the context of he was fine with the last two years, he must be wumming me.

Mind blown.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Following on from my comments about someone I spoke to after the Cov game, I spoke to him again today:

He claimed it was too slow and has concerns about us attacking.

Put in the context of he was fine with the last two years, he must be wumming me.

Mind blown.

I had someone behind me on the terrace yesterday squawking “forward” and “stop messing about with it” for the majority of the game

I understand that a performance like yesterday lacks a certain amount of box office entertainment, but it’s Burton away in the league cup, a potential banana skin, we’re playing new tactics and fluid formations with quite a few square pegs in round holes. Yet we completely dominated the game from start to finish. 

I don’t get what people want sometimes. Even if we’re successful under Maresca, they’ll be an element that will absolutely hate the way we’re going to play football

20 minutes ago, Big_Nige said:

I had someone behind me on the terrace yesterday squawking “forward” and “stop messing about with it” for the majority of the game

I understand that a performance like yesterday lacks a certain amount of box office entertainment, but it’s Burton away in the league cup, a potential banana skin, we’re playing new tactics and fluid formations with quite a few square pegs in round holes. Yet we completely dominated the game from start to finish. 

I don’t get what people want sometimes. Even if we’re successful under Maresca, they’ll be an element that will absolutely hate the way we’re going to play football

Listen, I was the biggest anti-"possession football" based on the past 2+ years, I was the most guilty of shouting "forwards", I literally shouted at games "forwards" and towards the end ironically cheered and clapped "back to the keeper" or any sideway or backwards pass.

But we are going forwards, it is exciting.

Last season we constantly recycled the ball through our defence, on the edge of our own 18 yard box, crossing the half way line was frowned upon.

Currently, it's like watching us on fast forward.

I had it claimed I hated possession football, on the face of it, yes I do/did, as we were playing it, it's (was) boring as fuck, but this is different, we actually go forward, attack, excite.

You're right, about even if we're successful under Maresca, they'll be an element that will absolutely hate the way we're going to play football and I can somewhat sympathise because i'll hold my hand up  (in the early years) we were successful under Rodgers and I didn't generally really enjoy it*. I enjoyed the Charity Shield, but that wasn't ''his'' way, i'm adamant. 

*I enjoyed the feats, I didn't enjoy how we went about them.

But for this person in particular to claim it's too slow and concerned about us attacking while he was straight faced and had no problem with last season. Wow, just wow.

Edited by Matt

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Pepball is a structured formulaic approach to the way the game is played!!!

Within that structure however is room for individuality, which brings a different element to the game. Once again, like jazz music, where the artiste plays within the structure and brings his individuality to the fore.

I love jazz and blues,my favourite genre..Yes brilliant but they can't play football..Charlie Parker was far too busy in the yardbird suite and doing a brilliant cover..across all the fields of 

Green Onions..

In Chicago..is the Blue Chicago.

A small great house that says it all by name "sweet home Chicago"

Sorry totally irrelevant but 1000s of jazz/ blue songs & places flittered through my mind but Pepformulaic wasnt getting through..:D

55 minutes ago, DionDublinsThirdLeg said:

Why are you going to "Go for broke" when you're 2-0 up? Burton were 2-0 down, and they didn't commit to try and get back in the game.

We were 2-0 up and decided to try and coast the rest of the game, which we did. You've also got to remember that we have a severe lack of attacking reinforcements, with regards to players who can progress the ball forwards, Daka and Vardy are not that type of player. We dominated the game against a league 1 side, whilst Leeds/Southampton/Cov were struggling and in some cases losing to even weaker sides. The reaction to how we played is as if it was the same level of performance as last season, where we needed penalties or fortune to get through against even weaker opposition. We've not dominated any side like that for a long long time.

Honestly, it gets to the point where I'm not sure if those criticising actually watched the game. At least 3/4 times in the first half alone we tried direct passes which could've led to key chances. Madvidua played 2 or 3 poor passes when he could've easily put someone through 1v1, whereas Albrighton and Praet both lacked the pace and quality to turn their direct runs and passes into chances, when both should've been 1v1.

In the first half alone we could've had 4/5 1v1 chances with the keeper had Madvidua's passing not been so poor, and had Praet and Albrighton had better control of the ball. All of Iheanacho/Praet/Albrighton/Ndidi made Vardyesque runs that our players tried to find, we were willing to go direct very often. It was impressive considering how little pace we had out there, and showed how the coaching has made so many of our least intelligent players (Albrighton being the best example) so much more aware.

You see when I post such top posts,it makes you angry then you reply and fire in with a great contra..

Though that point on Albrighton..naa

Most & best flanker of a ball we have,and an intelligent playerwho has shown he will always get his cross in.

Then it's upto others to get on the end of it..Putting more people in the box or just outside is thankfully what Enzo seems to be pushing..