Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burton 0-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

Listen, I was the biggest anti-"possession football" based on the past 2+ years, I was the most guilty of shouting "forwards", I literally shouted at games "forwards" and towards the end ironically cheered and clapped "back to the keeper" or any sideway or backwards pass.

But we are going forwards, it is exciting.

Last season we constantly recycled the ball through our defence, on the edge of our own 18 yard box, crossing the half way line was frowned upon.

Currently, it's like watching us on fast forward.

I had it claimed I hated possession football, on the face of it, yes I do/did, as we were playing it, it's (was) boring as fuck, but this is different, we actually go forward, attack, excite.

You're right, about even if we're successful under Maresca, they'll be an element that will absolutely hate the way we're going to play football and I can somewhat sympathise because i'll hold my hand up  (in the early years) we were successful under Rodgers and I didn't generally really enjoy it*. I enjoyed the Charity Shield, but that wasn't ''his'' way, i'm adamant. 

*I enjoyed the feats, I didn't enjoy how we went about them.

But for this person in particular to claim it's too slow and concerned about us attacking while he was straight faced and had no problem with last season. Wow, just wow.

Understand completely. Possession without purpose and without a plan was Rodgers in the last 2 seasons. The first 2 years under him we played some great stuff at times, but only in spells and generally in the first half of both seasons.

I like possession football, but there needs to be an idea behind it. No point recycling the ball to your centre backs time and time again if the players in front are static and rigid. Repeating pre-coached patterns of play that just ended up with the ball back with Amartey while we were chasing the game has genuinely scarred people for life. And rightly so

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Sounds like we were really comfortable anyway from the comments.

Very. I wouldn't be surprised if we made more passes in their half than our own, certainly Jakob must have handled the ball a dozen times all game.

7 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

That move from kickoff :wub:

This just hammers home the reason why I'd never listen to this for the match though. Nacho's finish was obscene and it wasn't even mentioned in commentary! In fact, if you close your eyes you wouldn't even realise we'd scored! 

18 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Why does it matter if we won 2-0 or 5-0? having watched Oxford city's defending for the 5 goals they conceded against Bristol City, I have to give Burton a bit of credit for showing some resilience. Other teams will get tired chasing the ball. We will concede some goals playing that way, but the opposition also cannot score if we have possession. An we will score more in the long run than some hopeful punt expecting the opposition to make mistakes. We are not playing league 1 every week, an in the long term we wanna be back in the premiership, so I'm guessing the idea is to try to achieve premiership standards. Currently our defending and attacking are not premiership, but good enough for the championship but hopefully by May our play will be at that level.

Lower club players rarely get tired,from our 4 leagues, & against higher opposition,

one thing they can do( especially now with more subs) is battle & fight for

90 or 120 minutes..

And the idea like it or not,is to put the ball in that other net.

Football stays boring if it looks pretty,but no goal action..Barca after a few years,became for us tourist fans & homefans oh & TV..!! 
There is a middle and PEP over the years has found out how  to create and not just play pretty & neat with some individuals techi-tricks.

Shots,Goals, penalty area action will always prevent fans from saying it’s boring,no matter how you wrap the clever thought out possession. 
Just read the posts of all various forums…Don’t prance around move,cross,take the ball forward,when on the flanks cross,don’t pull back,just has your DM has also made a run into the Box..You created the space now use it..!!

On 11/08/2023 at 09:08, fuchsntf said:

Lower club players rarely get tired,from our 4 leagues, & against higher opposition,

one thing they can do( especially now with more subs) is battle & fight for

90 or 120 minutes..

And the idea like it or not,is to put the ball in that other net.

Football stays boring if it looks pretty,but no goal action..Barca after a few years,became for us tourist fans & homefans oh & TV..!! 
There is a middle and PEP over the years has found out how  to create and not just play pretty & neat with some individuals techi-tricks.

Shots,Goals, penalty area action will always prevent fans from saying it’s boring,no matter how you wrap the clever thought out possession. 
Just read the posts of all various forums…Don’t prance around move,cross,take the ball forward,when on the flanks cross,don’t pull back,just has your DM has also made a run into the Box..You created the space now use it..!!

If we get the 3-4 players in Enzo wants we will have the quality to create more shots/goals in the meantime, I'm glad he's being pragmatic and actually just focusing on the results while the play further evolves.

1 hour ago, Beachyboy said:

If we get the 3-4 players in Enzo wants we will have the quality to create more shots/goals in the meantime, I'm glad he's being pragmatic and actually just focusing on the results while the play further evolves.

Fair dues,I won’t argue with the stance of any new system or idea.

but during the process,I as others will, just fancy putting forward

other different perspectives,of trying to keep flexable and not

stubborn to one way  path to reach that path….

I defended upto a certain time Rodgers ( any coach) but flexability

& seeing where slight tangents of thought should be seen….

Rodgers type of long period blindness of tweeking  approaches

& not being open to flexability led to his downfall & fall off,

of further support..from within squad and from the terraces..

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Enzo ball has similarities to Rodgers ball in my opinion, but is quicker and appears to be trying to move forward as far as possible. There seems to be logic behind it, whereas with Todgers it just seemed to be, keep the ball. 

I watched us in that first half against Coventry, Mads got the ball played to one of the CBs who played it to KDH, who then drove forward with the ball. 2 passes and we were on the edge of their box.