Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Rotherham (A) - 26 Aug 23 - Pre-Match Thread

12 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

Pretty much agree with this but the fact the ball bounces off him half the time and the other half I'm left completely unconvinced he meant the world class but of control he managed means I'm not convinced he's what I'd call a good footballer - in the sense of him being highly skilled.

Think that's silly, all humour aside. Having the idea is different to being able to execute it. 

We've all played for our Sunday teams or in our fives leagues and tried things that were pretty ambitious. Lots of times they've failed and we've looked daft but doesn't mean it was unintentional when we've pulled it off. 

If rank amateurs like you or I can manage that, I'm not sure why extremely elite professional athletes deserve any more suspicion. 

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Yeah. We went top as Pompey lost to Wednesday. Rovrum denied us promotion that afternoon. Late Trev Benjamin equaliser 

Always a slight regret of mine we didn’t score again after Trev equalised, the end would’ve gone bananas.

Pretty sure Dickov had a great chance, which the keeper saved.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

:nigel:

Literally get more sense talking to @fuchsntf. Not sure why I bother. 

...your comment!!!

Kels biggest problem by far is the team typically have to carry him defensively. It's why he's so very rarely been played consistently in a two striker system despite how well it works when we have the ball. 

That implies that a different type of striker would have been played as a two in our teams previously. By that extension, Nacho would have dictated our policy regarding playing one up front.

If I have interpreted this incorrectly, as according to you I have, then I stand corrected.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

MADS

RICARDO          FAES                  VESTY                      DOYLE

Winks                   KDH

Marcal                                           Mavididi

CASADEI

Nacho

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wattolcfc said:

I’m still bitter about them beating us in the Johnsons Paint Trophy semi-final. Let’s sink the bastards!!!

No way it was a semi final. Was like a second round. I remember Frank Sinclair blasting over a pen for Lincoln in the first round when we beat them but we didn't beat anyone else.

GK - Hermansen 

RB - Ricky P

CB - Faes 

CB - Vesty

LB - Doyle 

CDM - Winks 

CM - Casadei

CM - KDH

RW - Praet

LW - Mavididi 

ST - Kel

Harsh on Wilf as I think he’s been class for us so far this season, but I can see Rotherham playing a very deep line of defence with us having around 65% possession so Casadei gets the nod from a creativity perspective. 

2-0 Leicester my prediction.

Hermansen

Faes, Vestergaard, Doyle

Ricardo, Winks

Madivadua, Ndidi, KDH, Mavididi

Iheanacho

The same lineup as the one against Cardiff for me, with Casadei coming on a bit earlier in place of Ndidi. 

I don’t at the Moment dispute or disagree with any suggested selection..

Every slight change is that individual FT-posters preferred set up…

Though not yet wanting to stamp any „must“ be  my wished formation & selections set up, through managers need still to test his variables..

I have still my own niggling thoughts & doubts generally…

Ndidi or Praet, at present,because I do believe he is the better footballer,and can be better molded into the style. My preference is Praet, and whatever way he goes,yI would want club to keep both…

Justin,also later Kristiansen..I definitely want to keep both…but even now I would love to see Justin come more into the team.I still think there is a choice of an open slot or  2 for him.

Choudhury..I suppose mr Utility and good cover around pitch.(including Praet)

Coady ain’t coming back ,playing automatically the rest of the season,

So because of questions also over Vestergaard,I don’t see why Souttar should be sacrificed to the “must go” column.

The deeper into the season & system we go,

cover & rotation( technical/form/injury) will be an obvious thought,also Knowing from 10 millions years of Leicester city experience..We won’t find new players for all

positions we /Enzo will hope for…So present contracted players is still an open question,so Enzo’s idea of stonewalling a few,doesn’t fit into my logic…We have no Potential Europe to aim for,so although being aware we need a cover/rotation pool,

we can afford to move a good circulous of players on   >> and maybe not afford<< to keeps them.But one hopes to keep those talented few,including those tried & tested freshmen from the academy. Our history shows beggars can’t be choosers,but with no concrete offers,I thought we were too early to condemn players to a “out” list..

we are not finding it easy in the business of finding pure out n out No9s & strikers.

Nacho,Vardy might with all their heart want to stay, ( ditto for others) but temptation is still open until close of window.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

Scouting notes from extended highlights of their game v Sunderland and short highlights of their other fixtures. 

• Scored a fine goal to take lead at Sunderland. Really good footballing move. Cafu formerly of Forest ticks them over and a good set piece taker. Odoffin has scored 2 from 3 in the league and looks handy finishing. 
  • 4-3-3 system but it looks a very true 4-3-3. ie the front three are located centrally. 
  • Left-back looks a weak spot for them. Cohen Bramall constantly caught out. Positional sense looks poor leaves space behind him. The old aim for the by-line and cutback trick has given opposition goals. 
  • Their game v Sunderland will share a pattern with our game. They let them have a lot of the ball. 
  • Defensive line still appeared high on occasions. 
  • They can lose the ball in transition and the defensive line then backs off. The penalty of their 4-3-3 system is that it seems to afford a no.10 type player a lot of space. Dack, Bellingham and Pritchard for Sunderland afforded lots of space. 
  • Defence lacked that cover in those areas. 
  • They utilise Jordan Hugill as a focal point - going direct to him for Odoffin and Green. Odoffin is their preferred source of attack. He came off in 29th minute though on Saturday. He's very likely to be out injured and they have quite an injury list now. Although Onyendima is back after his red card. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It'll be the Cardiff team just with Casadei in for Wilf from the start. 

I think Praet is our "best*" RW if he's not needed at CM but dropping Wanya after getting his first goal would be poor man management and I don't think Enzo will. 

(*I know, I know.)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It'll be the Cardiff team just with Casadei in for Wilf from the start. 

I think Praet is our "best*" RW if he's not needed at CM but dropping Wanya after getting his first goal would be poor man management and I don't think Enzo will. 

(*I know, I know.)

I think you're right with this (unfortunately) and would bring him in regardless of Wanya's goal.

I'm looking forward to our games now, very strange.

13 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Potential banana skin

Do they have Bananas in Rotherham..

Though we ourselves could being having a good portion of sour-grapes…

Add humble pie..then

Saturday BBQ doesn’t look very appetising for the T-rexes expected to turn up..

No meat we macho’s might find it difficult to….

Edited by fuchsntf

On 20/08/2023 at 14:21, fox_up_north said:

Actually, it's probably closer to rovver-um or Rovrum. 

Only if you're from leicseter, i believe they still use the 'th' sound in yorkshire.

On 20/08/2023 at 17:30, lnkstern said:

I have had to learn many, many pronunciations for various clubs over the years.

First was Leicester, of course -- Lestah, do not sound it out.  I regularly have to teach people how to pronounce it; I have heard some very creative pronunciations over the years.

Manchester -- drop that A, Mnnchester.  Residents thereof - Mancunians.

Bury - Berry, not Buury.

Reading - Redding, not Reeding.

Southampton - S'thampton.

Bournemouth - Bornmuth, not Bernmouth.

And I am entirely lost regarding Cockney rhyming slang.  I have to look it up every time.

No one in leicester pronounces it Lestah, that's how people in manchester pronounce it.

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

Hermansen 

Justin Faes Doyle

Winks. Ricardo

Albrighton Casadei KDH Mavididi

Kelechi

This is the sort of set up formation, I wouldn’t mind seeing..

Get Justin in on the Righthand side,moving Ricardo across..

Both have played that side suggested

one could try…

Doyle     Faes    Justin

Ricardo.    Winks…

don’t know if Doyle feels easy that side.

16 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

No way it was a semi final. Was like a second round. I remember Frank Sinclair blasting over a pen for Lincoln in the first round when we beat them but we didn't beat anyone else.

I really wanted us to make the final of that.

Would have been a good day out at Wembley and wouldn't have ruined the season if we'd lost.

5 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Only if you're from leicseter, i believe they still use the 'th' sound in yorkshire.

Nah, I have a mate from there that's very proud of the fact. He's a twat, but that's besides the point - I've heard him yell 'ROVV-RUM' enough times on nights out in Sheffield to know how locals say it.

Fake Tales From San Francisco is his favourite Arctic Monkeys song, for obvious reasons to anyone who knows the lyrics. They also say it that way. lol

• Thanks 1

On 21/08/2023 at 11:25, Finnegan said:

I mean, he's not just going to magically go back to a flat back four just to integrate JJ is he. The inverted full backs are here to stay, might as well get used to it. 

That said, I'd much, much rather JJ at RW than either McAteer or Wanya. Wanya's goal from a set piece aside, one of my biggest frustrations watching us this year has been the lack of a right winger really stretching play on the opposite side. 

Given they're all right footed, I want to see them beating their man, getting to the byline, using the advantage of their footedness and getting it cut backs for KDH, Mavididi, a striker and now Casadei too. 

Albrighton lacks the pace and has never been able to dribble past his man, McAteer just cuts inside and Wanya doesn't look quick enough either. 

JJ definitely isn't going to do the inside forward role Enzo wants long term but his pace, direct running and energy would be a better threat than what we have there atm. 

Has Justin ever done that with any regularity? Even in his prime before his  injuries he had just 2 assists in 3000 minutes of football - granted that was at LB, but this idea of him as a marauding Andy Robertson type full back is a complete myth.  He's never managed a season with more than 0.9 key passes per game (Mavididi currently has 1.7).  And as for taking on players, again, i admit he was playing deeper but he never got past 0.8 dribbles per game, last season it was a measly 0.3 - - Marcal is currently on 2 (and seemed buoyed in his confidence after scoring).

I understand the love for the guy, but i think we have to be realistic that he's way down the pecking order for a reason and that there really isn't an obvious place for him in the current set up other than back up for Doyle or as an untested CB.