Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Rotherham (A) - 26 Aug 23 - Pre-Match Thread

On 21/08/2023 at 12:42, Finnegan said:

I'd be extremely surprised if Maresca put any right footed player in Doyle's position out of choice. Angle of passing options off stronger foot is a big deal there. 

I imagine if pressed, he'd rather mirror it so JJ did the "Doyle role" at RB and maybe played Ricardo at LB. 

He did this when JJ played in pre-season - but it's never going to be anything more than occasional rotation/resting situations.

Assuming that Faes stays, i think ricardo/faes/coady/doyle with hermansen and winks is the most set element of maresca's team plans this season.  until coady comes back vestergaard is an adequate stand in, which maresca seems happy with.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2023 at 14:23, westernpark said:

I mean he’s not a terrible footballer is he. The guy can pass (great through ball to Wanya-Marcal in the first half and also really benefitted from playing this option when with Vardy up front), likes to play quick one twos and has a great shot from outside the box, so considering our current options on the right, he would be fine. I wouldn’t play him there currently, because Maresca doesn’t rate Daka and we can’t afford to start Vardy. 

I think you're both right - he can be brilliant, he can be awful - one of the reasons vardy has had the career he's had is because of (until recently) a consistent standard, whereas nacho's biggest problem has been and always will be sustaining his good spells.

18 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

No way it was a semi final. Was like a second round. I remember Frank Sinclair blasting over a pen for Lincoln in the first round when we beat them but we didn't beat anyone else.

Just checked it was the Quarter Final of the Northern Section, close enough 👀

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Has Justin ever done that with any regularity?

Absolutely not but whatever we do we're putting square pegs in round holes. Neither McAteer or Madivadua are really right wingers. 

It's moot anyway, Maresca straight up isn't going to put JJ over there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It'll be the Cardiff team just with Casadei in for Wilf from the start. 

I think Praet is our "best*" RW if he's not needed at CM but dropping Wanya after getting his first goal would be poor man management and I don't think Enzo will. 

(*I know, I know.)

Couldn't have put it any differently - i don't think we'll need an enforcer like ndidi, goals are going to be hard work so casadei seems a logical choice.  And, yes, wanya had a real spark after his goal, i expect him to play and move the ball with improved confidence.

New York Stadium is pretty decent setup. I went there back in 2018 or 2019 I think. Pre-Christmas fixture they were playing Reading. I remember something rare... they actually served Yorkshire Tea!!!! yeah do it for Yorkshire!

Remember on the old Don Valley, wow honestly playing there was disaster. Another ground not designed for football. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

New York Stadium is pretty decent setup. I went there back in 2018 or 2019 I think. Pre-Christmas fixture they were playing Reading. I remember something rare... they actually served Yorkshire Tea!!!! yeah do it for Yorkshire!

Remember on the old Don Valley, wow honestly playing there was disaster. Another ground not designed for football. 

Don Valley has been levelled now, planted a school on it.

Was always impressed how many Millers still went to game there.

Simon Hooper is the ref after being stood down last week in the prem for not giving Wolves a pen at Utd and now obviously got to prove himself in the Championship. 

Without VAR to fall back on i expect a few 'interesting decisions' 

The joys of the championship... 

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Millmoor I believe has never been demolished, might be tempted to look at it pre match if i get time.

Millmoor is still there. I went passed the other week again. It is bizarre seeing a new ground basically next to the old one.

I have nice early memories of going to Millmoor, first visit was 02/03 under Micky Adams.

So this will be yet another game that we'll be playing without a competent right winger on the field. Feels like there is more chance of Riyad returning to Leicester than the club finally addressing this issue. Can only imagine how frustrated Enzo is about it. The 3241 relies on having fast tricky wingers who can dribble and commit opponents, in order to make space for the 8s and striker. At the moment we are only getting that on one side of the pitch making it so much easier for opponents to defend against us, hence the relative lack of chances compared to the level of possession we are enjoying. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Lights went off on Schluppys debut there. 

12 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

So this will be yet another game that we'll be playing without a competent right winger on the field. Feels like there is more chance of Riyad returning to Leicester than the club finally addressing this issue. Can only imagine how frustrated Enzo is about it. The 3241 relies on having fast tricky wingers who can dribble and commit opponents, in order to make space for the 8s and striker. At the moment we are only getting that on one side of the pitch making it so much easier for opponents to defend against us, hence the relative lack of chances compared to the level of possession we are enjoying. 

Our right winger scored in the last game mate..

• Like 1