Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Peter Taylor sacked

I'm only 33 so was very young when PT became the manager (though I do remember taking the LCFC VHS tapes out of my room in a huff when MON left.)

Can people give an insight into how exciting that summer of 2000 was? We had a great big pot of cash, had recruited a highly rated young manager, were about to embark on another Europe trip, had a strong team and seemed to be going places. How much anticipation did we have with Taylor at the helm?

I've never heard about that short period from his appointment to going top of the league really, before it all sort of started to go awry (and then went down the toilet quickly.) I assume there were no red flags in that short pre-season, pre-top-of-league period? I guess the only one really might have been his isolation of Walsh/Cottee so early on??

I don't have time to go through the issues of the Fox that season but a quick glance at the editorial for The Fox who said this about Taylor:

Peter Taylor is our new manager, and he has very solid foundations on which to build further success of the type that we have enjoyed in the last few years. He doesn't seem to be afraid of the transfer market either, equalling the club's record pay out within a couple of weeks of his arrival. The signing of Gary Rowett for £3m was swiftly followed by the promise of several more to come.

So we have one of the brightest young managers in the game arriving at Filbert Street and plenty of money for him to spend following the Emile Heskey transfer to Liverpool and the ntl: deal. Taylor appears to be very focused on his chosen targets (recent rumours have included Everton's Michael Ball, Fulham's Steve Finnan and Aston Villa's Lee Hendrie) and a team based around England Under-21 side that served him so well is an extremely exciting prospect.

Edited by Footballwipe

8 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He just lived off MON fumes didn't he. Then once all that momentum and confidence had evaporated. He presided over a huge decline. 

It took him time to implement his own style and bring in his own players but when he had we really saw the effects. 

I still maintain he was far worse than Rodgers. Rodgers' problem was as much his attitude, which is perhaps worse than just being utterly incompetent as PT was. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Rodgers is a vindictive narcissist who literally brought about the end of our greatest ever period because he didn't want to be proven wrong. Tater was just useless. 

Maybe I'm being biased because I'm still absolutely seething, but Rodgers > Tater. 

Oh yeah definitely. Last year was a disgrace.

But I think with the passing of time people have forgotten how much that period broke the club, and how bad Taylor really was as a manager. 

Just now, bovril said:

Oh yeah definitely. Last year was a disgrace.

But I think with the passing of time people have forgotten how much that period broke the club, and how bad Taylor really was as a manager. 

Probably not forgetting tbf but the fact that a lot of our fanbase weren't around then.

• Like 1

My support started in the Brian Little years. I think I was 6. As a result, O'Neill was seen as God. I can still name his team (much like the Prem winning one). 

Taylor. It all should have worked on paper. Perhaps, a to ambitious appointment. Maybe an old head would have been more sensible. Someone who could inspire O'Neill's squad and make sensible additions in the transfer market. 

Looking back you wouldn't wish what happened to us on our worst enemies. In a way we are so fortunate it happened all those years ago as in today's world we may have lost everything. 

It makes you feel thankful for our current owners who seem to be keeping us afloat and on track to bounce back ASAP. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Don’t forget for many, the period under O’Neill at that point, was the greatest they had seen and Taylor was given all the money in the world… and ruined it! 
I don’t know about narcissistic, but the man replaced Neil Lennon with his son in law - who has followed him around since like a puppy dog… His transfer dealings were truely horrific including forcing some club legends out of the door in order to get more power in the dressing room. 
His reign was followed by administration and the darkest period in our clubs history.

Nothing will every convince me he’s not by far the worst we’ve ever had.

Maybe more similarities between Tater and Rodgers than we thought. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

I'm only 33 so was very young when PT became the manager (though I do remember taking the LCFC VHS tapes out of my room in a huff when MON left.)

Can people give an insight into how exciting that summer of 2000 was? We had a great big pot of cash, had recruited a highly rated young manager, were about to embark on another Europe trip, had a strong team and seemed to be going places. How much anticipation did we have with Taylor at the helm?

I've never heard about that short period from his appointment to going top of the league really, before it all sort of started to go awry (and then went down the toilet quickly.) I assume there were no red flags in that short pre-season, pre-top-of-league period? I guess the only one really might have been his isolation of Walsh/Cottee so early on??

I don't have time to go through the issues of the Fox that season but a quick glance at the editorial for The Fox who said this about Taylor:

I was at the 5-2 win against Sunderland the previous season, before MON left and we looked incredible. I honestly thought we were on the verge of breaking into the very upper reaches of the Premier League. Then Heskey and MON both left and everything started to fall apart. It was heartbreaking really. I liked Taylor when he came in, he seems a decent guy and spoke well. I think we were all excited about his links to the England youth set up too. I have ADHD and my memory for dates and facts is awful so I don’t remember the actual games but I do remember having a cut out of the league table stuck to my door at uni when we were top after 10 games. Then obviously everything went to shit.

I don’t even dislike Taylor, I just don’t think he was up to it. For me the hardest thing about that period was that 5-2 win. To be so close to kicking on then have it ripped away. Football eh? Bloody hell. 

• Like 1