Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Peter Taylor sacked

18 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I was at the 5-2 win against Sunderland the previous season, before MON left and we looked incredible. I honestly thought we were on the verge of breaking into the very upper reaches of the Premier League. Then Heskey and MON both left and everything started to fall apart. It was heartbreaking really. I liked Taylor when he came in, he seems a decent guy and spoke well. I think we were all excited about his links to the England youth set up too. I have ADHD and my memory for dates and facts is awful so I don’t remember the actual games but I do remember having a cut out of the league table stuck to my door at uni when we were top after 10 games. Then obviously everything went to shit.

I don’t even dislike Taylor, I just don’t think he was up to it. For me the hardest thing about that period was that 5-2 win. To be so close to kicking on then have it ripped away. Football eh? Bloody hell. 

Is that when we had collymore ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Oh yeah definitely. Last year was a disgrace.

But I think with the passing of time people have forgotten how much that period broke the club, and how bad Taylor really was as a manager. 

...oh, we still know!!!

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

The 5-2 win over Sunderland, as good as it was, was never going to herald a golden era for the club. Heskey was always going to leave sooner or later. Collymore had too much of a destructive personality to last long anywhere at that point of his career. Flowers, Walsh, Elliott, Taggart, Cottee and Guppy were all on the downside of their careers. MON knew a massive rebuild would be needed fairly soon and I don't think he had the heart for it, and Celtic was an easy out for him, and one which you couldn't begrudge him taking. Peter Taylor was totally the wrong choice for the rebuild though. He had a terrible eye for a player and just bought a shedload of League One level talent with the Heskey and Lennon money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I'm only 33 so was very young when PT became the manager (though I do remember taking the LCFC VHS tapes out of my room in a huff when MON left.)

Can people give an insight into how exciting that summer of 2000 was? We had a great big pot of cash, had recruited a highly rated young manager, were about to embark on another Europe trip, had a strong team and seemed to be going places. How much anticipation did we have with Taylor at the helm?

I've never heard about that short period from his appointment to going top of the league really, before it all sort of started to go awry (and then went down the toilet quickly.) I assume there were no red flags in that short pre-season, pre-top-of-league period? I guess the only one really might have been his isolation of Walsh/Cottee so early on??

I don't have time to go through the issues of the Fox that season but a quick glance at the editorial for The Fox who said this about Taylor:

Worst manager we've ever had, he was on par with Rodgers in his last 18 months here. Taylor wasn't just a bad fit but completely out of his depth. 

I remember that summer when the club had spent more money in that summer than it had probably spent in our history. He signed four strikers that summer in Akinbiyi, Scowcroft, Cresswell and Benjamin at a cost of about £10m. Alarm bells rang for me as he was spending good money on players that couldn't all play, all of those players weren't good enough either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Worst manager we've ever had, he was on par with Rodgers in his last 18 months here. Taylor wasn't just a bad fit but completely out of his depth. 

I remember that summer when the club had spent more money in that summer than it had probably spent in our history. He signed four strikers that summer in Akinbiyi, Scowcroft, Cresswell and Benjamin at a cost of about £10m. Alarm bells rang for me as he was spending good money on players that couldn't all play, all of those players weren't good enough either.

I think Scowcroft came the year after and was an upgrade on what we had. We also brought in Sturridge who I thought would go on to do pretty well for us. 

2 hours ago, bovril said:

There was lots of optimism. In fact I am sure some fans saw it as a potential upgrade in terms of the type of football we would play. It became apparent relatively quickly that Akinbiyi and Benjamin were not going to score loads of goals (I remember them contriving to miss a 2 on 1 at Maine Road in November) but our rock solid defence and goalkeeper saw us safely in the top 4. 

Red flags started appearing around Christmas that year (much like Xmas 2019 under Rodgers) but it wasn't really until we lost to Wycombe and started that miserable run that people began to look at the team compared to the previous season and realise we'd seriously regressed. 

We were top in October under him in his first season mainly because we'd only conceded two goal in 8 games IIRC but although everything looked rosey with the league table the football was terrible and we looked like relegation fodder and it was only the Martin O'Neill effect and players keeping us up there, the more Taylor put his stamp on the team the worse we got.

Getting sacked by Maldon & Tiptree (who?) is no surprise to me, he should have been nowhere near full time professional football.

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

We were top in October under him in his first season mainly because we'd only conceded two goal in 8 games IIRC but although everything looked rosey with the league table the football was terrible and we looked like relegation fodder and it was only the Martin O'Neill effect and players keeping us up there, the more Taylor put his stamp on the team the worse we got.

Getting sacked by Maldon & Tiptree (who?) is no surprise to me, he should have been nowhere near full time professional football.

I remember coming back from the 0-1 game at Maine Rd that season and hearing a Man City on five live describing it as "the tactically turgid vs the tactically inept". I thought at the time he was a typical whinging Manc, but he was spot on. 

• Like 2

The team that beat Sunderland 5-2 was the peak O'Neill team.

Heskey and Collymore at their peaks would be a nightmare to face for any team in the world. Both well over 6 foot, athletic, quick, powerfully built and really skilful footballers, they had it all. Collymore a brilliant natural goalscorer and Heskey an unselfish foil. I remember Heskey's England debut against Argentina and IIRC he retired a 35yo Sensini that night with one of the most dominating displays I've ever seen, they took him off after half an hour because it was like watching a cat with a mouse.

Izzet and Lennon wouldn't have looked out of place at a dominant Man Utd side at the time and CB's like Walsh, Elliott and Taggart were a formidable trio, I remember one season we never conceded a headed goal until February until 5,5" John Beresford sneaked in.

29 minutes ago, Milky said:

His name was Roy

I always remember this match. When we got it to 1-1, the ball hit the bar and it bounced right back for akinbye to head down and in. Blazed it over the bar and the rest is history.

Club totally lost the plot after this.

Guest Sideshow Faes
4 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I'm only 33 so was very young when PT became the manager (though I do remember taking the LCFC VHS tapes out of my room in a huff when MON left.)

Can people give an insight into how exciting that summer of 2000 was? We had a great big pot of cash, had recruited a highly rated young manager, were about to embark on another Europe trip, had a strong team and seemed to be going places. How much anticipation did we have with Taylor at the helm?

I've never heard about that short period from his appointment to going top of the league really, before it all sort of started to go awry (and then went down the toilet quickly.) I assume there were no red flags in that short pre-season, pre-top-of-league period? I guess the only one really might have been his isolation of Walsh/Cottee so early on??

I don't have time to go through the issues of the Fox that season but a quick glance at the editorial for The Fox who said this about Taylor:

It wasn't exciting. It was terrible.

I was an uni at the time. Every day you'd read about the players we were trying to buy. Players like Callum Davidson came in. Callum Davidson was bloody terrible. He actually ended up being better than he'd been pre -Leicester but at no point did I think the signings we were making were good signings.

We already had a great team. MON had got us to a point we could scarcely believe with that 5-2 win over Sunderland where collymore got the hat trick.

I spent the whole summer wondering why we were buying so many poor players when we had a great team.

Then results were going well but we looked worse and worse over the first half of the next season. Second at Xmas or something but at no point did I think we deserved it or would stay there 

People tried to blame the Wycombe loss in the cup for our later collapse when in truth it had been coming for an age.

The following summer's signings - Walker, Wise etc actually looked better but as soon as we got battered on the first day we knew we were well in trouble.

He's had SIXTEEN jobs since leaving us. 

How many has he been sacked from? He was considered a good up-and-coming manager in his day who just needed the right club to have a great career, but just never fully recovered from a fairly traumatic time with us besides a briefly decent stint with Hull.

The clipping from the Mercury showing us top of the league in October was kept in my wallet for years, because I never thought we'd ever be top again, and looking at that clipping (especially between 2004 and 2009) made me remember the good times.

• Like 1