Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Peter Taylor sacked

Wycombe was truly horrendous but let's not forget the Crystal Palace League Cup defeat, a team who finished 21st in Division One, who won 3-0 at Filbert St.

The man wasted a wonderful opportunity. Dick.

2 hours ago, inckley fox said:

The comparisons are inevitable because both left us relegation-bound after we'd enjoyed some success in previous years, and both misused significant funds.

However there are some big differences. As much as I shudder at the mention of Rodgers, he did deliver his fair share of that aforementioned success himself, whereas Taylor didn't (unless you count the good start he had, or even the respectable 13th-place finish as achievements).

Quite a few of our best managers have departed when we were on a downward trajectory.

Gillies left on the day of a 1-7 loss, after a run of defeats. We were on the brink of the relegation zone and ended up going down, with most fans blaming him rather than O'Farrell for it.

Bloomfield left after fan pressure, and a miserable end of the season. While I doubt he'd have misspent to the degree that McLintock did, people could see where things were headed the season before (even though we finished 11th).

Willie Orr in the twenties, having taken us to 2nd and 3rd (albeit with a squad he'd inherited with Peter Hodge), left us after a terrible run, and with us on the brink of the relegation zone in 1932, though on that occasion Hodge returned to keep us up.

Milne became General Manager when we nearly went down in 1986, and was still there when we did go down a year later. People blamed him more than Hamilton at the time.

And the less said about Brian Little's departure, the better. Or Ranieri's, for that matter.

What I'm saying is that Orr, Gillies, Bloomfield, Milne, Little and Ranieri would be in many people's top tens as Leicester managers, but they all left under a similar cloud to Rodgers. Given time, people focused on what they'd done earlier in their reigns. If they didn't who would that leave us with? We can't go round lambasting the managers that brought us promotions, Wembley wins, League Cups, the title, the FA Cup and top five finishes just because it ended up on a sour note for all of them.

Rodgers, for all his flaws, had us in the top 5 twice and won the FA Cup, which is more than any of them, bar Ranieri, managed - and certainly more than Taylor in his brief tenure. I suspect people won't forget his lack of professionalism in that final year, but of course Gillies' commitment was also questioned in his final year, and Little's in his final weeks in charge. Even Big Nige's professionalism was questioned at times, regardless of whether we now see that his antics were beneficial.

When people rank Leicester managers, Rodgers will certainly have to be a lot, lot higher up the list than Taylor, whose incompetence was central to the financial collapse and near extinction of the club.

Having read you message with interest, I was slightly surprised that Ian Holloway's name wasn't mentioned. City's proud record of never having been in the third tier was ruined by that man. So Peter Taylor and a few others might not have been much good, but at least none of them has got that on their cv. 

8 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Having read you message with interest, I was slightly surprised that Ian Holloway's name wasn't mentioned. City's proud record of never having been in the third tier was ruined by that man. So Peter Taylor and a few others might not have been much good, but at least none of them has got that on their cv. 

Holloway inherited a farcical mess, in the man’s defence.

17 minutes ago, bovril said:

Micky Adams is someone I would say was a decent enough guy but out of his depth at PL level. 

He also had very limited resources. Thought he did ok given the circumstances.

• Like 2

Speaking of this era -

I downloaded Championship Manager 01/02 the other day. The database has our 3rd biggest rival as Wolves. 3 most hated men are Shearer, Brian Little and Mark Mcghee. We are Villa's 2nd biggest rivals. I never realised we held such a grudge for so long about Little and Mcghee.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

He also had very limited resources. Thought he did ok given the circumstances.

I think we had enough to stay up comfortably in 03/04.

I wish him only the very best though and he guided us through very difficult times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

I was focusing on the managers we remember fondly, and then the Rodger vs Taylor comparison. Don't get me started on Allen / Megson / Holloway!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

Holloway inherited a poisoned chalice. Sometimes a club just goes rotten and we certainly had. I wouldn't blame him for our downfall, it was well on the cards.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Holloway inherited a poisoned chalice. Sometimes a club just goes rotten and we certainly had. I wouldn't blame him for our downfall, it was well on the cards.

No Holloway was toss even given the poor squad. What ruled me most about him was the 'I'm a funny yokel' media appearances whilst we were fighting for our lives. Micky Adams for example would have been out redoubling efforts on the training ground

As for Taylor I see parallels with Rodgers albeit he was more out of his depth. Took over a decent squad and once he had made his mark on it both personnel and mentality wise we were way worse off 

4 hours ago, String fellow said:

Tater Peeler would have, had he had the opportunity.

11 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Aye, Collymore hattrick. Heskey got one and Oakes the other I think. We looked amazing. 

That was an amazing game towards the end of MON's tenure with that lethal all too short lived Collymore/Heskey combo. and unbeknown to us all at that time we'd hit our quintessential peak in that game after being the first team of the new Millennium to win a trophy of course (albeit v then second tier Tranmere) in the League Cup final. However three months later we did end the season with a limp 4-0 defeat at already relegated Sheffield Wed. - who haven't graced the Premier League ever since amazingly! Obviously it was a great start under PT the following 2000-01 season with the nucleus of MON's side and with topping the league after 10 games by mid October 2000 or so but no real quality was brought in to supplement the foundations MON had laid (arguably Callum Davidson and Gary Rowett were quality defenders but their opposites were in attack - Akinbiyi and Trevor Benjamin, I ask you!), so when the dust settled we were then inconsistent and clearly not a top 4 side (a spot where we miraculously occupied in the early March 2001 after beating GH's Liverpool - but then were unduly 'found out' in the Wycombe QF FA Cup defeat that they wanted more than us and then anon. to finish the league campaign 13th. Not surprisingly PT was sacked the following September after everything came home to roost - including being bottom of the Prem. by then. Didn't Google any of this myself - sadly the demise of this period is emblazoned in some of our minds. Similarly disappoining periods have of course since followed but it's hard to match that time for falling off a cliff in a relatively short space of time IMO from such a favourable starting point - other than last season of course - the most obvious comparison of all to 22 years previously!    

Edited by Guy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, bovril said:

Micky Adams is someone I would say was a decent enough guy but out of his depth at PL level. 

I suppose his career record after us in the Prem. says it all! Even at his boyhood club he wasn't really good enough. Did ok at Cov. for a brief time after us and then at Port Vale thereafter but not surprising that he hasn't gone quite the same "evergreen" way in first team management as some of his elders such as Warnock and Hodgson! 

Edited by Guy

Rodgers for all his faults shouldn't even be in the same convo as Peter Taylor. what Taylor did set us back by decades. Hes a used car salesman as depicted in Mike Bassett Football Manager. Chairmans keep falling for his gab not his acumen. I have no idea what he brings to any club except a dodgy contact book and a good craic. I am fairly convinced any sane person from this board would be able to match his tactical and managerial genius. He talked a good game so will give him that much.

If I was being kind to him I'd say It's not his fault. I think he was a reflection of just how sordid and useless the FA had become. They'd built the new training facility in Burton with premier League cash but then populated it with idiots like Taylor. Explains everything about why the national team was/is the way it is, and why English managers are generally shit.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dayday said:

Always remember when Peter Taylor signed Tricky Trevor Benjamin, he’s one for the future he said, another rubbish signing 

In no way the worst. Scored some decent goals for us in Division One. Shocking how many players we replaced with absolute duds though. 

On 21/08/2023 at 21:47, bovril said:

I remember coming back from the 0-1 game at Maine Rd that season and hearing a Man City on five live describing it as "the tactically turgid vs the tactically inept". I thought at the time he was a typical whinging Manc, but he was spot on. 

Goal from Savage. One of several narrow victories without us ever looking particularly convincing. I remember wondering how on earth we were in the top 3 and thinking it was never going to last.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

24 years ago today Peter Taylor was appointed… 

If you could get in a time machine, and fiddle with the breaks on his car, who would you appoint instead? If I recall, and I was 14, I think Big Sam was also linked? It wouldn’t have been nice, but I bet we wouldn’t have tanked in the years ahead.