Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Kelechi Iheanacho

If we had gambled and signed Piroe, it would have made perfect sense to sell Nacho, but unless we have another decent striker, who can link the play,  already lined up, then it would be foolhardy to sell him with 3 days of the window left to try and replace him.

I was already feeling that we needed a striker to replace Daka, because there is no way that Daka is capable of playing in a way that Enzo is going to want him too, he just doesnt have the technical ability, which is why he hasnt been anywhere near the team, and it makes sense to move him on and replace him.

The truth be told, Vards isnt suited to Enzos football either, but Vardy still has that tenacity and reputation that can be useful in the final 20 minutes of a game, but hes not the player to be starting too many games now, and be effective.

Sell Nacho, who yes i know can be hit and miss, but is probably the only link striker that we currently have, and i think we need to bring two strikers in, not just one, bacause Daka is going to be as much use as a chocolate tea pot under Enzo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Can this comment just stop now? It’s fvcking annoying. The reason we didn’t sign Piroe was because we still had 3 strikers and no one was making offers. Leeds had the space and made a move, ultimately beating us to it. That’s the business we are in. 

Before anyone states we should have taken peanuts for someone like Daka, we then wouldn’t have the available funds to buy Piroe. 

We are complaining about a bloated squad but then want to bloat the squad even further without removing deadwood. We can’t just stockpile players and hope other teams business goes to plan and they move for one of our players.

Is it frustrating? 100% it is. But that’s the position we are in and that’s the way business works in football.

Yep.

That's what bloody annoys me about the window. If it's impractical to have it close on the eve of the season then move the start/end of the season. End it 2 weeks late like we did last season. All of these sides making late moves for our players have had weeks to register an interest and wait til 4 days before the window closes to do it. We're in an almost impossible situation where we need to shed the deadwood but also cut deals for replacements to come in. Right now, I'd let Daka go and reject all offers for Nacho. We simply cannot go into the rest of the season with just Vardy & academy kids up top.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

This thread is making me smile, like the last 12 months have all been but a distant nightmare and completely forgotten about. 

Go back 12 or so months and the Tielemans situation, what was being said in and around that time, don’t sell he is worth more to us than £xm. If we achieve Y then he might stay and sign another contract etc, we know how that ended and yet here we are 12 months later having the same conversation about Kels. I love the bloke and he will always have a place in our hearts, but he is now 10 months from

walking away for nothing, a player who currently isn’t necessarily showing he is going to be able to play the role the Manager requires, a player who in 4 months can sign for another club and effectively coast his way through the reminder of the season. 

If there is an opportunity to a deal for £15m + and we can then bring in someone better suited to how we play then it’s a win win. 

My actual biggest fear is we get to the weekend with the same 3 strikers in the squad and the manager has to continue to try and make it work without a striker who has the attributes to play his style. 

On his day he can be an excellent and effective striker however he is so inconsistent and he does struggle from a work rate perspective, i too also saw Enzo’s frustration with him on Saturday and maybe the club feel the time is right to accept an offer and move in a different direction, which would be one I would support if they believe it’s for the best interests of the team this season and beyond. 

This is a massive ‘if’ though. That’s the problem. There’s a significant risk we might get rid of Nacho and replace him with an inferior player who weakens us up front. That’s what concerns people. 

He'll probably leave next summer for free, if he's not sold now. The rumoured fee is fair but based on recent evidence he fits in Enzo's system better than Vardy or Daka. If he's sold this late, can the board get a quality replacement in time? We need to stall until we have a replacement ready.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

This thread is making me smile, like the last 12 months have all been but a distant nightmare and completely forgotten about. 

Go back 12 or so months and the Tielemans situation, what was being said in and around that time, don’t sell he is worth more to us than £xm. If we achieve Y then he might stay and sign another contract etc, we know how that ended and yet here we are 12 months later having the same conversation about Kels. I love the bloke and he will always have a place in our hearts, but he is now 10 months from

walking away for nothing, a player who currently isn’t necessarily showing he is going to be able to play the role the Manager requires, a player who in 4 months can sign for another club and effectively coast his way through the reminder of the season. 

If there is an opportunity to a deal for £15m + and we can then bring in someone better suited to how we play then it’s a win win. 

My actual biggest fear is we get to the weekend with the same 3 strikers in the squad and the manager has to continue to try and make it work without a striker who has the attributes to play his style. 

On his day he can be an excellent and effective striker however he is so inconsistent and he does struggle from a work rate perspective, i too also saw Enzo’s frustration with him on Saturday and maybe the club feel the time is right to accept an offer and move in a different direction, which would be one I would support if they believe it’s for the best interests of the team this season and beyond. 

I think most people agree with you here, especially with the fact that he's on his last year and could go for free next year. However so last minute would there be anyone who would be an upgrade to Nacho that fits Enzo's style? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

This is a massive ‘if’ though. That’s the problem. There’s a significant risk we might get rid of Nacho and replace him with an inferior player who weakens us up front. That’s what concerns people. 

It’s a huge ‘if’ whatever course we take to be honest. Don’t think there is an answer that is 100% right, we could sign a player who is worse, it’s true, we could sign someone more suited, and I will not try to mould this seasons performances by Nacho into any form of huge success, because that’s just not true. Feels like a punt whichever route we take.

30 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I would like to think we hadn't thrown every egg of ours into Piroe as the potential replacement if he went. We should have at least three viable alternatives.

the club usually does, thought one of the other alternative was Archer and he went Sheff Utd

either way imo think its a bit late to get another forward in, as other clubs will want over the odds atm

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Losing Kelechi for nothing when his contract expires is better than selling him for 15 million now and missing out on promotion because we don’t have a striker who works in Enzo’s system.

100% this. Only sell if we have a replacement lined up who we’re very confident would suit us more. 

• Like 1

Just now, Deeg67 said:

Losing Kelechi for nothing when his contract expires is better than selling him for 15 million now and missing out on promotion because we don’t have a striker who works in Enzo’s system.

As I said earlier, whatever happens, keep or sell, it’s a punt, a best guess- his numbers this season raise concerns in my eyes though

35 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Iheanacho isnt Tielemans though. The last time Iheanacho was on the last year of his contract for us he didnt coast, he won us the FA cup and dragged us into the top 6 spots.

Arguably he was playing for a new contract so we'll have to see what he does this time round but there's no guarantee that he coasts.

7 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

tbf i think if Vardy or Daka had been playing the numbers would probably be the same

I am not saying Nacho is worse than either of those, actually think he is better and more suited than either, but pointing out that he has not been especially productive.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Keeping Iheanacho doesn’t guarantee us promotion. We could end up keeping him, not getting promoted and then be in a worse financial position next summer with no money for a replacement. 
It’s not as simple as saying keep him and we get promoted, sell him and we don’t. 

Edited by Viva
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Viva said:

Keeping Iheanacho doesn’t guarantee us promotion. We could end up keeping him, not getting promoted and then be in a worse financial position next summer with no money for a replacement. 
It’s not as simple as saying keep him and we get promoted. 

Of course it’s not a guarantee, but the risk of selling him and not getting an adequate replacement outweighs the risk of keeping and failing to get promotion. We should only consider selling if we’re 100% confident his replacement won’t weaken the team. 

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

Of course it’s not a guarantee, but the risk of selling him and not getting an adequate replacement outweighs the risk of keeping and failing to get promotion. We should only consider selling if we’re 100% confident his replacement won’t weaken the team. 

What about the risk of keeping him

and having nobody to replace him when he misses a few weeks for AFCON? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Viva said:

What about the risk of keeping him

and having nobody to replace him when he misses a few weeks for AFCON? 

Also a risk, yes. But covering him for 4-5 weeks during the AFCON with Vardy/Mavadidi/academy striker would be easier than trying to get through the entire season with an inferior player. 

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

Also a risk, yes. But covering him for 4-5 weeks during the AFCON with Vardy/Mavadidi/academy striker would be easier than trying to get through the entire season with an inferior player. 

Why do you assume the replacement would be inferior? The replacement might be more suited to what the manager wants, as Kel’s stats this year have been far from impressive so perhaps he isn’t the type the manage wants for his system? I thought Kel would be perfect for this system, but not so sure now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

When he comes back from AFCON he will be in the final 4 months or so of his contract. He will have many distractions, so there is no guarantee we see the best from him then. 
Also there are questions as to how well he is suited to Enzo’s system. I’m not saying I would sell him on the cheap, but every player must have a price, especially when they are in the final year of their contract. 

Edited by Viva
  • Like 1