Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Kelechi Iheanacho

36 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

tbf i think if Vardy or Daka had been playing the numbers would probably be the same

So neither of the 3 are critical to this system. IMO we shouldn’t be concerned about losing any of them. 

12 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Also a risk, yes. But covering him for 4-5 weeks during the AFCON with Vardy/Mavadidi/academy striker would be easier than trying to get through the entire season with an inferior player. 

So far he’s looked pretty inferior in the grand scheme of things. Apparently, the only issue is he wasn’t being played. Now he is. If the ball wasn’t bouncing off him I would be excited. I am deeply concerned about keeping him and him running that deal down. 

Enzo needs a different profile of player. It’s a lazy assumption that we only get promoted with Nacho in the squad. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Losing Kelechi for nothing when his contract expires is better than selling him for 15 million now and missing out on promotion because we don’t have a striker who works in Enzo’s system.

For me those two things are not mutually exclusive. 

• Like 1

What exactly is the evidence that Kelechi doesn’t fit the system? 

So far he improved the team when he came on as sub v Cov

Scored  and assisted v burton 

hit the post with a screamer v cardiff

Beautifully assisted mcateers first v Rotherham 

He’s a proven scorer and assister and one who’d be mad to join a basket case like the current Wolves set up. And we’d be just as mad to let him go….whoever you got to replace him would be some sort of risk. He’s an important player in the dressing room too. Led the celebrations for McAteer on Saturday apparently. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Got to feeling Enzo would like someone who is a let more consistent at keeping the ball and linking up play. 

I think he could get frustrated by Nacho inconsistencies, he's can look rather untidy at times.

I also think we wants someone who more willing to press and work harder and has real pace. Someone who is comfortable dropping in one minute and stretching the back line the next.

Enzo is a coach were the system and patterns of play are the most important element, like Pep it's controlled. If you look at Man City they don't tolerant mavericks, you have to conform to the system.

Nacho is more of a Maverick, capable of brilliance one minute, but also capable of looking clumsy the next.

So you want someone with JJ's pace, Vardy's work rate and aggression, Ricardo's control, Winks consistency but still Iheanacho's productivity? 

You got a spare 150m?

Obviously I'm being facetious and I don't mean to take the piss but, still, Enzo is going to have to compromise somewhere and I'm sure he realises he's in the Championship. I do agree to an extent I think we want someone who is more reliable to "play off" to link up play in the final third but I do think we're looking for a unicorn if that player is also supposed to be a quality forward and not just some generic EFL donkey. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smudgerfox said:

He’s a proven scorer and assister and one who’d be mad to join a basket case like the current Wolves set up. And we’d be just as mad to let him go….whoever you got to replace him would be some sort of risk. He’s an important player in the dressing room too. Led the celebrations for McAteer on Saturday apparently. 

Because looking with only your eyes rarely tells the whole story, see below for the Championship season thus far 

https://fbref.com/en/players/c92e1a31/Kelechi-Iheanacho

There is your evidence

3 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Evidence of what exactly? 

His expected goals and assists per 90 is even lower this season than last, not a large sample size far admittedly, but it’s against much poorer opposition. 

Edited by Dahnsouff

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Because looking with only your eyes rarely tells the whole story, see below for the Championship season thus far 

https://fbref.com/en/players/c92e1a31/Kelechi-Iheanacho

There is your evidence

I remember when you just used to be able to watch football with your eyes.... ahh the good old days lol 

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

I remember when you just used to be able to watch football with your eyes.... ahh the good old days lol 

That’s relied on people with bias - you feel free to trust them. Enjoy watching, just use stats for facts.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viva said:

Keeping Iheanacho doesn’t guarantee us promotion. We could end up keeping him, not getting promoted and then be in a worse financial position next summer with no money for a replacement. 
It’s not as simple as saying keep him and we get promoted, sell him and we don’t. 

Which is not what I said.

5 minutes ago, Scotch said:

The thing with Nacho this season is that when you look at the teams we've played so far, they've all set up to give us no space. To get tight and but pressure on us. Now Nacho coming deep, like he has been limits his goalscoring opportunities but it also creates space for others behind him and it definately seems like that is by design. So I'm not sure that he necessarily "doesn't fit our system" if the system is designed to create opportunity for our wingers, who have been scoring and winning us games. 

It's exactly what Burnley did last season. Their strikers got 19 goals between them (3 of them) and the wingers got 50 (3 of them)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scotch said:

The thing with Nacho this season is that when you look at the teams we've played so far, they've all set up to give us no space. To get tight and but pressure on us. Now Nacho coming deep, like he has been limits his goalscoring opportunities but it also creates space for others behind him and it definately seems like that is by design. So I'm not sure that he necessarily "doesn't fit our system" if the system is designed to create opportunity for our wingers, who have been scoring and winning us games. 

It's true and Iheanacho is by far our most suited striker out of the three for this role, but he is also still quite erratic in his build-up play, especially his first touch and decision making.

If he had more than one year left on his contract I wouldn't be selling, but we have to learn the lessons of previous years and cash in on players that will just walk away for free. Next summer we could have 13 players leave on a free or when their loans expire. That's not sustainable.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

That’s relied on people with bias - you feel free to trust them. Enjoy watching, just use stats for facts.  :thumbup:

All discussions in 2023 have to be reduced to binary options it seems:

stats = facts

eyes = opinion

In reality both have a place. Cacadei definitely assisted Kasey’s goal, his run pulling the defender away to create space.

Any coach would be delighted with that run from his player. But the stats won’t record any credit for him. 

58 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

'a screamer v cardiff'

Hmmm

They have to actively go out there and recruit someone first before any offer for Kelechi can be considered. Be mad to lose him on a free but that appears to be happening. Club needs to potentially bring in 2/3 strikers over the course of the next few windows with all 3 of ours potentially on the way out.