Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Kasey McAteer

3 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Absolutely not being likely to get an England call-up will have factored heavily in his decision. But I'm not sure how you can say he doesn't care about the Republic of Ireland unless you know him extremely well. He may have a great interest in the country - whether he's stepped foot on Irish soil or not - because of his family. Or his interest might be quite mild or non-existent, as you suspect.

What puzzles me is why the cynicism. He sees an opportunity play international football. The Ireland manager has courted him by his own admission, so he's wanted. It could be a great opportunity for him to increase his reputation while also (if he didn't have the interest before) sparking an interest in a country where some of his ancestors are from.

Absolutely. I agree, that was my point re the England call up. but knowing the situation, as I do,  My comments are very valid. So therefore, I am entitled to put my point across. Thats all. I have no interest in Mcateer or his family situation after that. 

13 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Absolutely not being likely to get an England call-up will have factored heavily in his decision. But I'm not sure how you can say he doesn't care about the Republic of Ireland unless you know him extremely well. He may have a great interest in the country - whether he's stepped foot on Irish soil or not - because of his family. Or his interest might be quite mild or non-existent, as you suspect.

What puzzles me is why the cynicism. He sees an opportunity play international football. The Ireland manager has courted him by his own admission, so he's wanted. It could be a great opportunity for him to increase his reputation while also (if he didn't have the interest before) sparking an interest in a country where some of his ancestors are from.

39 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I doubt Jamie Vardy had ever set foot in Leicestershire before he joined us, what’s the difference? It’s not the 1800s anymore, the team you represent has nothing to do with weird nationalistic chest thumping.

Not really valid or comparing like with like. I do know the situation, although it’s great putting it out there to watch people’s reactions. Good luck to the lad!😂😂

• Like 1

One of the things that makes me laugh/confused the most is how worked up people get about nationality for sports players. I genuinely don't get how it matters whether someone considers themselves to be Irish or British or from Gibraltor or whatever. Or whether you think nationality is based on where you were born or where your family are from etc.

Good decision by Kasey imo

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Frances Dempsey said:

Absolutely. I agree, that was my point re the England call up. but knowing the situation, as I do,  My comments are very valid. So therefore, I am entitled to put my point across. Thats all. I have no interest in Mcateer or his family situation after that. 

...there are a lot of players that have had only one international game for England and then they become tied to them!!!

Under the rules, in order for a player to switch nationalities, a player must not have played in a competitive fixture (that is, can only have played in friendlies for the first country), and FIFA approval is necessary.

McAteer choosing to go to Ireland may be a calculated move, no one was expecting the season he was having.

His previous loans did not point to international recognition and with no history of international call-ups for any age group, perhaps Ireland was the option he would have chosen anyway.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Under the rules, in order for a player to switch nationalities, a player must not have played in a competitive fixture (that is, can only have played in friendlies for the first country), and FIFA approval is necessary.

This is no longer the case.

A player must not play in more than three competitive internationals before applying to FIFA to change the country they represent.

This is basically to stop teams like England playing a young player for the last 5 minutes of a competitive game and tying them to the country.

McAteer has Irish grandparents. 

If we compare him to Barnes who struggled to break into the full England set up, even after playing for the age groups and posting solid numbers for us, it’s probably a wise decision from McAteer.

He’s been doing alright in the Championship, but has shown nothing to suggest he’ll ever be capable of making it into the England setup as a full international. He might one day, but it’s a stretch, even if he develops into a decent PL player.

Fair play to him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Conscript Fox said:

Where has he said this  ?

Haven't seen an interview yet

"Stephen Kenny said after Monday night’s win over Gibraltar that he had been working on bringing in an Irish qualified winger from England’s second tier.

"The Irish Independent understands that McAteer (21) is the player in question."

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/leicester-winger-kasey-mcateer-set-to-commit-international-future-to-ireland/a1655016918.html

In fairness, Kenny is talking about an unnamed player and the newspaper is then providing its own understanding :thumbup:

• Like 1

Playing international sport isn't always about being a patriot.

It's like saying every player, plays for the love of the game, for some it's a job, other it's about money or fame.

It can simply be about a desire to play at the highest level and play in the biggest competitions.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Playing international sport isn't always about being a patriot.

It's like saying every player, plays for the love of the game, for some it's a job, other it's about money or fame.

It can simply be about a desire to play at the highest level and play in the biggest competitions.

sick bars 

• Haha 3

Personally, I was born in England but of Irish heritage as are a lot of my friends.

Most, if not all of us would be honoured to represent Ireland (if we were able to!)

You don't have to be born in the country to have a deep connection with it.

People suggesting McAteer would play for Ireland 'for the money' are being ridiculous. In the scheme of things Irish players get pennies for an international appearance (the men's team recently had their payment vastly reduced to match the ladies team).

• Like 2

I'm not too fussed about it. 

We are doomed as long as Stephen Kenny is there. Might come in handy if there is a  change of manager.

One thing I would day is with Southgate complete ignorance of players outside the top 6 and then saying he'll pick players on form only to go and play Maguire,Philips,Henderson there will be plenty of players who will look to the other home nations. 

England's loss could be the others gain.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sampson said:

I doubt Jamie Vardy had ever set foot in Leicestershire before he joined us, what’s the difference? It’s not the 1800s anymore, the team you represent has nothing to do with weird nationalistic chest thumping.

Mh. 

I dunno. I'm not a patriot or a jingoist, I hate nationalists with a passion. 

But you can take a bit of pride in where you're from and your culture without thinking it's superior to everyone else's and being a cock about it. 

And I do still think international sport should be about representing your country with a bit of pride. I'm extremely disappointed by some of the "football is just a job the players just want to play at a high level" stuff some people are spouting in here. 

I hate residency laws that encourage mercenaries to move to represent succesful national teams. I don't think that's a problem we have in football so much compared to rugby and their "project players" (ugh.) But residency laws that allow genuine migrants to come and represent the country they call home or the place they've grown up? Yeah I'm all for that. 

Anyone taking a shot at McAteer needs to grow a brain, though. He's literally got an Irish parent right? I mean as far as I'm aware, there's people on this forum born in Australia and America to English parents that support English national teams, no? There's people on this forum born and raised in England to Indian parents that support the Indian national cricket team and very few people have the bollocks to give them stick for it. 

So why the fvck shouldn't McAteer play for Ireland and who out of any on here has the right to tell the lad how he does and doesn't identify? Jokes about him learning Amhrán na bhFiann, what's to say he doesn't know it already? Might have been supporting Ireland all his life for all you know. And if not, Christ, I think I can sing most of it. It's just a fvcking song. It ain't hard. 

If Vinnie fvcking Jones can learn Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, I reckon Kasey will be fine. 

Edit: obviously not this whole post is aimed at you, Sampson lol

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4