Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Kasey McAteer

Mo wasn't even brought here by his own choice, he was people smuggled in and forced to be a domestic servant. He had to keep quiet about his background and early life because he was terrified he'd have his British citizenship taken away and he'd get deported. Poor guy hadn't even seen his Mum and brothers for years until he tracked them down for that documentary a while back.

On 19/10/2023 at 12:56, Finnegan said:

I've thought about this a lot. Mostly in the context of rugby because, like I say, the rules are absolutely terrible in rugby and the sport is rife with project mercenaries that defeat the point of international sport imo. 

Best solution I've thought of, personally, is that players just simply can't "gain" nationality throughout their careers. 

The teams you're eligible for when you hit 21 are the teams you're eligible for for your career. That way if you're Robert Earnshaw or Raheem Sterling (or Mako Vunipola or Taulupe Faletau) then nobody is telling you you can't represent the country you've grown up in and that you feel is home. 

Maybe you could adjust that slightly so that if you've started gaining eligibility before 21 you're allowed to finish? Idk. But you've got to draw a line somewhere. 

Grown adults, professional sports people, moving to a new country for no reason other than their career have no business changing allegiance to represent a new national team in my eyes. Brazilians that moved to some Eastern European country for strictly professional reasons aged 23, 24, rocking out for their national sides later on in the peak of their career? Or 24 year old Kiwis giving up on their dreams of playing for the All Blacks so heading north to become Northern Hemisphere qualified just so they can play international rugby? Give me a break. 

I agree completely. Most national rugby teams seem to have a South Pacific Islander of some sort.

It starts to make national teams like clubs where players can pick and choose (obviously not to the same extent). Cricket is like this as well. I’d have said football has probably been better in this regard than rugby or cricket, but football is certainly moving toward the likes of rugby and cricket imo.

41 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

Mo wasn't even brought here by his own choice, he was people smuggled in and forced to be a domestic servant. He had to keep quiet about his background and early life because he was terrified he'd have his British citizenship taken away and he'd get deported. Poor guy hadn't even seen his Mum and brothers for years until he tracked them down for that documentary a while back.

...not even his real name!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see him back but I thought he was pretty poor (although not that far away from an assist with that back post cross to KDH)

Hopefully Enzo works with him over the International break on his play around our box, quite a few times against Middlesbrough he got us into serious trouble trying to overplay it himself

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

I like him, but I'm still not convinced he's a winger. Not one who's excellent in 1 v 1's and with absolutely no support from full backs in this system, it can make for disrupted patterns. He checks back too much, which is something we see with James Justin frequently and it can be the difference between having the opposition stretched or able to nullify our threat.

He is excellent at attacking the box though, would have loved that Mavididi cross in the 2nd half to have been McAteer attacking it rather than Fatawu.

• Like 3

On 04/11/2023 at 17:38, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I agree completely. Most national rugby teams seem to have a South Pacific Islander of some sort.

It starts to make national teams like clubs where players can pick and choose (obviously not to the same extent). Cricket is like this as well. I’d have said football has probably been better in this regard than rugby or cricket, but football is certainly moving toward the likes of rugby and cricket imo.

My opinion on this matter has changed as I've gotten older, I'm afraid...  If representing your country was PURELY a matter of personal pride and meritocracy, competing for a trophy and nothing more, I think you'd all have a point.  But the moment international sport becomes a JOB, everything changes.  Relocating and changing nationality for employment reasons is a thing that exists.  The moment international sport became a job, it HAS to be considered in the same context.  However, this does mean that the same rules should then apply to both, so it's not all sunshine and rainbows :P 

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Aleksz said:

I get it’s needs must right now with Fatawu out, but this lad is just not a winger. Please pack it in and m,ake use of what he’s good at.

Which is ?

my kids call him macatrash 

i think that’s a bit unfair but it reminds me of the one kid in the U12  team who just isn’t quite as good as all the others but has to get game time because it’s U12. Everything is great until the ball gets to this kid. And the other boys don’t pass to him as often as they should because they all know. 
First half yesterday, kdh was in his space far too much  - but he probably felt someone more capable needed to be there ! 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He causes teams all sorts of problems off the ball, but on it he's extremely limited. I'm not sure how much that can be improved, if we go up I just don't see him having the time and environment to do so. Maybe a few years scrabbling around the Championship and he could slowly get to the level, but not right now.

So there's already a crossroads for his career here, he's way off it.

• Like 4

Just now, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Took a cracking ball on the run over the top. Headed straight towards the danger area (box).  Then bizarrely turned left, and ultimately ended up sending it all the way back to Mads or the CB's. Sums it up really!!

Yes he always cuts in. Needs to mix it up. He had a good game and we should use him as an out ball more often.

he won't be a world beater ever, I agree, but the lad is only 22 he has a bright future and in my opinion looks very good. A lot of attacks went through him yesterday and whilst he isn't the finished article I think he is good at this level 

Impressed with him. He's quick, looks hungry and works very hard. Thought he did a sterling job at Cov as well last week against his attacking wide player in tracking back.

My concern for him would be similar to that of Fattawu. The right hand flank appears to be the heavier controlled wide player. Both Fattawu and McAteer operate as outlets to receive and relay the ball back in to play it would appear. Although Fattawus natural instincts at times probably naturally rebel against that. Mavididi who I might add is now really excelling is seemingly allowed to run his full backs regularly. 

So I think it's a little unfair to suggest McAteer appears limited when his game role is somewhat different to that being asked of the left hand side.

He must have had more back passes than Hamza last night.

Ric's right, his movement is very intelligent, but his all around game just isn't good enough. He can definitely make it as a pro, and if someone finds him the right position I could see him scoring a few in league one. 

He's just not really good enough for what we need consistently. If we can get some coin for him I'd be all over shifting him this week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Took a cracking ball on the run over the top. Headed straight towards the danger area (box).  Then bizarrely turned left, and ultimately ended up sending it all the way back to Mads or the CB's. Sums it up really!!

Is that purely down to him, though, or is he being told to do that? Very often we seem to get into great positions only to slow the game right down and send it back down the pitch rather than try a risky pass that could lead to a goal. McAteer isn't the only one who does this. It seems to be a tactical decision that comes from Maresca - ie, whatever you do, don't lose the ball....

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Which is ?

my kids call him macatrash 

i think that’s a bit unfair but it reminds me of the one kid in the U12  team who just isn’t quite as good as all the others but has to get game time because it’s U12. Everything is great until the ball gets to this kid. And the other boys don’t pass to him as often as they should because they all know. 
First half yesterday, kdh was in his space far too much  - but he probably felt someone more capable needed to be there ! 

I think when you watch his goals, he’s clearly an intelligent footballer and makes the right runs off the ball and can finish. He’s also got an abundance of energy to press high up the pitch. People won’t like the comparison but think Perez with a bit more pace - Who was also better centrally than wide.

Many have said it on here, but I think he can play that 8 position, I’d rather him there than Akgun personally when needs be.

He isn’t a winger - definitely not on the right. He’s showed flashes of good stuff from the left (Vs Liverpool in pre season and Hull at home) but from the right he has no interest in taking on his man on the outside and is also right footed ruling out the cut inside for a shot option.