Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lcfc-1992

Tranmere (A) - 29 Aug 23 - Pre-Match Thread

I think we’ll see JJ and Hamza given the Ricardo and Winks role tonight, and a cameo from Akgun off the bench. Maresca spoke about them in last weeks press conference, almost teeing them to start today

We’re a bit short on rotation options at centreback, it might be a game to give Nelson his debut, but there’s literally nobody in the squad who can rotate with Doyle as it stands

Stolarczyk 

JJ

Nelson

Faes

Doyle

Hamza

KDH

Casadei

Marcel

Albrighton

Vardy

10 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Happy memories of an away trip to Tranmere with an Ormondroyd goal and a Phil Gee screamer to win it.

Anyone else at that game? It must have been early nineties 

yes wasn't it on a Friday night, i seem to recall we were pretty awful and the score was a robbery! I think there were only a handful of Leicester fans we were in a corner with no roof and a floodlight pylon to lean on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldblueyes said:

Oh there will be lots of versions of the game on youtube. People just love to post Fifa computer games of the match and pretend it's real.

Watched one of those once was a lovely 7-4 win over Chelsea 😄

2 hours ago, Big_Nige said:

I think we’ll see JJ and Hamza given the Ricardo and Winks role tonight, and a cameo from Akgun off the bench. Maresca spoke about them in last weeks press conference, almost teeing them to start today

We’re a bit short on rotation options at centreback, it might be a game to give Nelson his debut, but there’s literally nobody in the squad who can rotate with Doyle as it stands

Stolarczyk 

JJ

Nelson

Faes

Doyle

Hamza

KDH

Casadei

Marcel

Albrighton

Vardy

Is it just me that thinks Ben Nelson isn't really all that, and is a bit average at best really? 

I know he is touted as one to watch, and supposedly well thought of by the club, and I know he is still young, and still developing, but I've watched him in the 21s and he's never impressed me.

He had what was supposed to be a season long loan in league 2 with Rochdale last season, but was really poor, cost them a few goals, and they stopped playing him, so we recalled him back in January, and sent him to Doncaster for the rest of the season, where it seems he was okish, but hardly worthy of the hype that he seems to get.

It's just you. Nelson never seemed to get a game at Rochdale after they changed manager after 4 or so games... They got relegated!!!

He did well at Doncaster and is a regular for England.

He seems highly rated by the club and they don't appear to be loaning him this season or is that down to contracts? 

He seems very calm on the ball and assured, when I've seen him play for Doncaster. 

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Is it just me that thinks Ben Nelson isn't really all that, and is a bit average at best really? 

I know he is touted as one to watch, and supposedly well thought of by the club, and I know he is still young, and still developing, but I've watched him in the 21s and he's never impressed me.

He had what was supposed to be a season long loan in league 2 with Rochdale last season, but was really poor, cost them a few goals, and they stopped playing him, so we recalled him back in January, and sent him to Doncaster for the rest of the season, where it seems he was okish, but hardly worthy of the hype that he seems to get.

Kasey McAteer had a pretty average half a season loan with Wimbledon in League Two and he looked pretty good against Rotherham?

It wasn't like it was specifically just him that was poor for Rochdale either and he was the reason they were losing, they were overall very crap. They stopped playing him after he got an injury and was out for a weeks after which I regularly saw Rochdale fans confused why he wasn't brought straight back in when the centre back that was playing was absolute crap, then he was decent at Doncaster.

He has always looked good when I have watched him playing for the England youth teams.

If he wasn't highly rated then he wouldn't have Man City, Man Utd, Newcastle etc. sniffing around him would he?

Edited by moore_94

8 hours ago, lnkstern said:

Ya, lcfc.com states that an audio-only stream will be available, no video broadcast.

But someone previous in this thread stated that Bein Australia would be showing video, so there might be streams available.

Good god -- I pay the toll for ESPN+ as well as FoxesHub, and I still have to get my computer infected by some dodgy stream to watch the match.

The f'ing broadcast rights rules drive me off the edge.

It was not selected by Bein. Doesn’t appear to be broadcast anywhere from what I can see, so very likely no streams at all.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Oldblueyes said:

Oh there will be lots of versions of the game on youtube. People just love to post Fifa computer games of the match and pretend it's real.

This would've been useful to know

...last season.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Kasey McAteer had a pretty average half a season loan with Wimbledon in League Two and he looked pretty good against Rotherham?

It wasn't like it was specifically just him that was poor for Rochdale either and he was the reason they were losing, they were overall very crap. They stopped playing him after he got an injury and was out for a weeks after which I regularly saw Rochdale fans confused why he wasn't brought straight back in when the centre back that was playing was absolute crap, then he was decent at Doncaster.

He has always looked good when I have watched him playing for the England youth teams.

If he wasn't highly rated then he wouldn't have Man City, Man Utd, Newcastle etc. sniffing around him would he?

Fair enough, it's just me thats not been impressed then. lol

I just honestly haven't seen it myself.

Braybrooke, Alves and for me Wormleighton, I've seen as the stand outs, with a great chance of making an impression with us, but then again I've never been impressed with McAteer when I've seen him either, and he's doing alright at the moment, so that probably says something about my judgement lol

3 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

yes wasn't it on a Friday night, i seem to recall we were pretty awful and the score was a robbery! I think there were only a handful of Leicester fans we were in a corner with no roof and a floodlight pylon to lean on.

From memory It was a great night , 

Old school

Scmeichel

Amartey  Evans Soyuncu

Castagne                                    Bertrand

Tielemans   Mendy

Maddison

Perez       Barnes

Or have I missed something?

5 hours ago, Big_Nige said:

Stolarczyk 

JJ

Nelson

Faes

Doyle

Hamza

KDH

Casadei

Marcel

Albrighton

Vardy

Whats Justin done wrong??  England international who has played only against Burton & not one subs appearance since the League season started???

1 hour ago, EnderbyFox said:

Can only see Fulham vs Spurs & Leeds vs Salford on Bein Aus.

These the two games we're getting in Norway, so very probably just these two.

4 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

Whats Justin done wrong??  England international who has played only against Burton & not one subs appearance since the League season started???

We're not playing with traditional FBs (thus why VK and Thomas are likely off and castagne has gone and won't be replaced).  And there are better players in the position he could possibly play (CB/RW).  Maresca has said he can't play the ricardo role.  Add into that the fact that he's not looked convincing when he has played.  I don't think he's done anything wrong, i just don't think there's a place for him in the first XI.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

We're not playing with traditional FBs (thus why VK and Thomas are likely off and castagne has gone and won't be replaced).  And there are better players in the position he could possibly play (CB/RW).  Maresca has said he can't play the ricardo role.  Add into that the fact that he's not looked convincing when he has played.  I don't think he's done anything wrong, i just don't think there's a place for him in the first XI.

Pretty sad, a very decent player

Better Players mind?  Vesty?lol  See why's he getting the nod, overall not a better player though

Edited by The boy Linacre

18 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

I think Justin will fight his way back into the first team plans, but I think currently he’s got the skillset of a player that doesn’t fit in with the formation we’re playing. I get the feeling they’ll be a lot of work going on at the training ground to develop his game. Justin excels at one v one defending, and supporting the attack like a traditional full back. At this moment in time we basically don’t use fullbacks in that sense.

I really rate JJ, pre ACL injury he was outstanding, we’ve not seen that explosiveness since, but I felt he was getting back to a good level before he ruptured his achilles. But I can’t argue that he hasn’t played in the way we currently set up

• Thanks 1