Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Yunus Akgün Officially Signs!

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

He won a penalty today, assisted against Cov and scored against Birmingham. I agree with you on this, at this level if Praet can be arsed he's very effective.

But he'll be leaving on a free at the end of the season. He doesn't stand out as an exceptional player, so it's not too beneficial to play him regularly.

He is currently still our player though so we should use him if needs must.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
11 hours ago, 1972 Fox said:

But he'll be leaving on a free at the end of the season. He doesn't stand out as an exceptional player, so it's not too beneficial to play him regularly.

He is currently still our player though so we should use him if needs must.

Alternative is signing a player the manager obviously doesn't think is a long term option for us. I don't mind it as long as we're winning games.

I like Yunus, but it's obvious the plan is to avoid making his deal permanent. I can understand that, he will be nothing more than a squad player at PL level, and I think the money can be put to better use

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Alternative is signing a player the manager obviously doesn't think is a long term option for us. I don't mind it as long as we're winning games.

Exactly this point, would rather we continue using players leaving on a free than forcing ourselves an obligation for a player who just hasn't clicked 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

18 appearances in all competitions. 2 goals and 2 assists. Played 860 minutes in total. Only 8 starts out of the 36 matches we’ve played. 

Is the obligation at 25 appearances? Surely it’s not 20?

This obligation business, triggered by appearances, seems very unfair to the player and less than satisfactory to both parent club and to ourselves.

If it's true, Yunus will likely sit out the remaining third of the season and have wasted another year of his career, we can't get full use out of the player and parent club doesn't get the value of having him play or showcase his talents in the shop window.

If I were Rudkin, I'd get on the phone to Galatasaray and say, look, we don't want to sign him, but let's scrap this obligation thing for the benefit of all parties for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Galatasaray confirmed its 25 games so I reckon Enzo will give him a solid run of 5 starts in a row or similar at SOME point for him to prove himself. 

If he does, would it not have been better to do so when he's finally scored in back to back games and been very influential in changing both games?

It's fair enough having the obligation to buy issue to consider, I can't fathom out why its so wildly different to Fatawu's though. Maybe the £7-5/8m fee compared to Fatawu's meant at the time we weren't concerned. 

And finally, you can tell Yunus is desperate to make a career here and the contrast to Praet's future here is vastly different. I get there's little sentiment in football and we can't try and hold the club to account on poor transfer business and then be annoyed if they've decided it's too much of a risk with Yunus but it's a shame.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If he does, would it not have been better to do so when he's finally scored in back to back games and been very influential in changing both games?

It's fair enough having the obligation to buy issue to consider, I can't fathom out why its so wildly different to Fatawu's though. Maybe the £7-5/8m fee compared to Fatawu's meant at the time we weren't concerned. 

And finally, you can tell Yunus is desperate to make a career here and the contrast to Praet's future here is vastly different. I get there's little sentiment in football and we can't try and hold the club to account on poor transfer business and then be annoyed if they've decided it's too much of a risk with Yunus but it's a shame.

It could (and I am completely guessing here) be that the 25 appearances relate to starts rather than sub appearances. Therefore the manager may be using him as an impact sub for as long as possible. The game yesterday and the pressure we were under meant Hamza instead of Yunus seemed a sensible option (I understand the alternative argument). 

Against Stoke, we eased to a 5-0 so an impact wasn’t really needed. Compare it to Swansea where it was early in the second half and we were losing control, the impact was very much needed. It allows us to continue to assess without the clock running (if the 25 starts rather than 25 appearances is really a thing).

im guessing because like you, I think he does have talent. Talent which nurtured could be quite valuable on the PL. I think at £7/8m, if he can consistently put forward what he has shown glimpses of, he could be quite a valuable asset. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think it’s imminent to be honest and Enzo has taken a chance to get Praet match fit ,as an option, while Ndidi is out. 

Akgun is a 6/7 out of 10 player for me.

Not sure he ever becomes a starting 11 player.

He’s clearly not fancied as a winger, isn’t physical/fit enough to play in the 8 role and can’t think of many teams that play an out and out 10 which he isn’t special enough to try to pigeon hole into.

I'm abit gutted for Yunus. He comes on, presses from the front, scores goals and generally acts like he really wants to be here, something Praet hasn't shown in the 3-4 years he's been here. Unfortunately our perilous financial situation has finally been made clear to Enzo with the Sensi debacle, and he knows that 7M is a fortune for us and is better spent elsewhere. 

17 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

He's tidy. He's physically stronger (I'm not talking injuries)..The ball sticks with him. He makes useful moves into space. He's quietly miles more effective than Yunus, who just took slow and weak for this level of football 

They're at different stages of their careers to be fair and I feel like Yunus can do a job out wide too. I honestly kept forgetting Praet was on the pitch against Swansea. It may be more about desire that ability.

4 hours ago, murphy said:

This obligation business, triggered by appearances, seems very unfair to the player and less than satisfactory to both parent club and to ourselves.

If it's true, Yunus will likely sit out the remaining third of the season and have wasted another year of his career, we can't get full use out of the player and parent club doesn't get the value of having him play or showcase his talents in the shop window.

If I were Rudkin, I'd get on the phone to Galatasaray and say, look, we don't want to sign him, but let's scrap this obligation thing for the benefit of all parties for the rest of the season.

IF Maresca has decided he's not going to be in his plans next season then I agree. After all, he sees him in training every day and will have a good idea what his ceiling of abilities and capabilites will be. To me however, from purely what I've seen on the pitch, I'd far sooner have him than Mcateer.

Being cynical also though, could it be that Mcateer and Wanya are getting appearances to perhaps make them more saleable in the summer? 

14 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

They're at different stages of their careers to be fair and I feel like Yunus can do a job out wide too. I honestly kept forgetting Praet was on the pitch against Swansea. It may be more about desire that ability.

He was a lot more present and effective yesterday. I do wonder if he's suffered a huge loss in confidence over time due to always being first victim to Rodgers, even when playing well.