Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Tranmere post match

59 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/enzo-maresca-not-happy-certain-8713271

Enzo Maresca 'not happy' with certain Leicester City players despite win over Tranmere
The Leicester City manager made four substitutions at half-time and while some were pre-planned, some were because he was disappointed with the first-half display

ByJordan Blackwell
22:56, 29 AUG 2023

Enzo Maresca, manager of Leicester City, during the EFL Cup game at Tranmere Rovers (Image: Shutterstock)

Enzo Maresca handed out another lesson to his Leicester City squad in substituting players who he expected more from in their 2-0 win over Tranmere Rovers.

City made it six wins from six by beating their League Two opponents in the second round of the Carabao Cup, but the goals from Wilfred Ndidi and Jamie Vardy did not arrive until the second half, after Maresca had made four changes at the interval.

There had been very little goalmouth action in the first half, City failing to test 42-year-old Tranmere goalkeeper Joe Murphy, and so for the second period Maresca introduced Ricardo Pereira, Ndidi, Yunus Akgun, and Wanya Marcal in place of Harry Winks, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Marc Albrighton, and Stephy Mavididi.

While some of those changes were pre-planned, some of them were because players were underperforming, Maresca said. After the Italian dropped Wanya Marcal for the weekend’s win at Rotherham, telling him he “needs to earn” his place in the team, this was another message to the squad.

“With some things I was not happy, with some things I was already prepared,” Maresca said. “In this moment, it’s important for them to share minutes because we’ve played six games in about 20 days. It’s many games.

“Don’t ask me which players, but I was not happy. I think some of them, I expected more from them. They are important players for me, they are important players for the club, they are important players for their team-mates, and some of them they need to give more.”

Asked if he had told the players directly at half-time, Maresca said: “They already know. Sometimes they are so intelligent. They don’t need the manager to tell them, they can understand for themselves.

“But it’s like what happened with Wanya, it’s a way to help them grow and understand and to improve as a team. If they improve as players, we improve as a team.”

The game ended on a happy note though, with Ndidi getting his second of the season with a shot to the far post, and then Vardy nodding in his first of the campaign from Ndidi’s cross.

The manager said: “I’m happy to continue in this competition. I’m happy for the players, especially the players who are playing less, and the young players like Ben Nelson, Wanya played again, Yunus for his debut. I’m happy for all of them.”

“I’m happy. But I’m always looking for the things I don’t like to see how we improve. As I said, there are many things we need to do. But that’s normal. After two months, I’m quite happy how the team understands the idea.”

Really interesting to read this. It definitely seems to be a thing with the managers from the Pep academy that they dig out players and set them challenges. I'm all for it to be honest, because otherwise complacency sits in.

I'm interested to see what the lineup is on Saturday and who, if anyone becomes his favourites. At half-time he took off Mavididi, KDH, Albrighton and Winks. From the above it sounds like he's digging out Albrighton, but I am interested to see if Mavididi or KDH are dropped. Ndidi came on for KDH and had a goal and assist. If he's still here on the weekend, I would make a strong argument for him starting ahead of KDH. Mavididi has also been a bit lackluster in the last two games, and if their replacements performed better, keep those in and lay down the challenge for those dropped to improve their game. 

That said I expect the same lineup as last time, but probably Yunus starting ahead of either Marcal or McAteer. Which is pretty harsh on McAteer you'd have to say!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Really interesting to read this. It definitely seems to be a thing with the managers from the Pep academy that they dig out players and set them challenges. I'm all for it to be honest, because otherwise complacency sits in.

I'm interested to see what the lineup is on Saturday and who, if anyone becomes his favourites. At half-time he took off Mavididi, KDH, Albrighton and Winks. From the above it sounds like he's digging out Albrighton, but I am interested to see if Mavididi or KDH are dropped. Ndidi came on for KDH and had a goal and assist. If he's still here on the weekend, I would make a strong argument for him starting ahead of KDH. Mavididi has also been a bit lackluster in the last two games, and if their replacements performed better, keep those in and lay down the challenge for those dropped to improve their game. 

That said I expect the same lineup as last time, but probably Yunus starting ahead of either Marcal or McAteer. Which is pretty harsh on McAteer you'd have to say!

One way or another McAteer will get game time, so maybe not that harsh. As Yunus is new, i wonder if he starts with McAteer and approaches this like Wilf/Casadei.

• Like 1

Didn't see the game last night but at Rotherham I felt like Mavididi looked plain lazy. Don't think you can get away with that.

KDH as well hasn't come close to replicating his Coventry performance.

Pleased the manager has let them know to sort it out.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Callum Doyle is a proper little playmaker isn't he.

Brilliant player, especially at 19 years old. I've heard that if THB comes in, he might be pushed into the Ricardo role for some games as cover. He's got such a diverse skillset, he can play CB, LCB, LB, CDM, LWB. We HAVE to sign him up if we get promoted. Will probably cost us a fair whack but absolutely worth it IMO. Looks like a future England international to me.

1 minute ago, OatcakeFox said:

I reckon Albrighton/Winks planned

KDH/Mavadidi not happy.

That seems right. I thought Albrighton might have been given a dig, but by all accounts he was OK. Though if all he was doing was crossing blindly over and over, I could see that upsetting Maresca as using our patterns of play is what it's all about. Look at the Vardy goal, Yunus makes the first time pass into the half space where he knows Ndidi will run to. We've already seen that exact movement many times in the Maresca era. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

One way or another McAteer will get game time, so maybe not that harsh. As Yunus is new, i wonder if he starts with McAteer and approaches this like Wilf/Casadei.

Maresca so far seems like a good man-manager so I'm sure he will be looking after Kasey. I just guess that if it was me and I had just been MOTM, scored two goals including a brilliant winner... I'd be expecting to play!

But that he's getting chances at all means he knows he has a manager that likes him.

20 minutes ago, Mythyaar said:

Mavididi - don't know what happened last night. He seemed to be in sulk mode throughout.

Picked up on this in the first game, said he wouldn't be popular and was largely dismissed, voiced the same concerns against Huddersfield just before he scored. We've done great with the recruitment this summer but I'm finding it hard to be positive about this one.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I find this really refreshing as opposed to the Brendan bashing the players got. Bit of tough love but letting them know they still are very important to the team, no complacency and would make me even more motivated to improve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Brilliant player, especially at 19 years old. I've heard that if THB comes in, he might be pushed into the Ricardo role for some games as cover. He's got such a diverse skillset, he can play CB, LCB, LB, CDM, LWB. We HAVE to sign him up if we get promoted. Will probably cost us a fair whack but absolutely worth it IMO. Looks like a future England international to me.

I’d rather us get him signed in January. If we left it until the summer to try and make his move permanent then you just know teams will be queuing to sign him especially if he has a good campaign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langston said:

Wouldn't it make more sense for Mavididi to be a HT sub given he starts every game?

Possibly if it wasn't for the fact he was incredibly poor in the first half. Dud nothing of consequence and thus is a little disappointing I think. At least Albrighton got the ball into the box which, if Enzo's aim is to get more players gambling and running into it means he did his job. Much work still to be done. Ndidi made things happen, not often you here that.

To be honest KDH has been dissapointing and frustrating to watch. I hope Enzo can improve him and the consistancy.  I like he is setting standards and saying when he isn't happy.  No media speak fluffiness.  I don't think he wants Ndidi to go and he often mentions Praet too alongside Winks. He likes technical players.  Its exciting times!  It's a journey but it's looking promising far.

7 hours ago, Pliskin said:

If N’didi had more finesse about his game he would be the most productive AM in the league. He times his runs to absolute perfection…. It’s just 9/10 his head falls off when he gets into the final third. 

...he has created assists, and the one to Mcateer was absolutely first class in respect of pace, weight and height and notably done blind, having taken it to the byeline!!!

When we initially played him there in pre-season, it seemed like a joke or him filling in for a game, he makes this role look easy as if he has played it before and seems to be the only one who understands what is required in that position and makes the contribution from our wingers look sparse in comparison.

6 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I think Ben Nelson could turn out to be good cover for our centrebacks and choudhury, whilst being a different type of player to winks, can play the position.

It would have been a good opportunity to play Nelson against Burton or Tranmere instead of playing Doyle as a CB. If Enzo doesn't trust Nelson in the EFL cup then I don't see him playing in the championship.

Choudhury also has to cover the inverted FB role so hopefully we get another CB and midfield pivot before the window shuts.

Edited by trooky