Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Abdul Fatawu Signs

20 hours ago, Number 6 said:

My favourite bit was when he recognised that run down their left and sprinted back with the Bristol player and shepherded it out for a goalkick. Love that.

Also, he took he the right back spot when Ricardo had ventured forward and we'd lost the ball. I still refuse to get excited about him until we've seen him a few more times, but he has certainly had a bright start and has shown some great potential. 

• Like 2

Just now, CosbehFox said:

Hinchcliffe was praying for him to get sent off. But I tell you what he works bloody hard without the ball - twice he made defensive blocks yesterday. Really deceptive how well of a rounded player he is. 

I noticed this. There was one around the half hour mark where he almost definitely saved a goal scoring opportunity. He was slightly more reserved going forward but his defensive work was very mature. He’s gonna be a belter 

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Both him and Akgun look to be decent additions.  

Feels like we are going back to a certain type. All 3 of the new wingers not only have flair but have a real tenacity, they work for the team in a way that  we never got with Barnes. 

Im never going to complain about Harvey because he was a wonderful talent but there are always players that suit a top team that doesnt require the work rate and Harvey is one of those guys. When you are at our level, you will always need extra work from everyone in order to be successful.  

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Feels like we are going back to a certain type. All 3 of the new wingers not only have flair but have a real tenacity, they work for the team in a way that  we never got with Barnes. 

Im never going to complain about Harvey because he was a wonderful talent but there are always players that suit a top team that doesnt require the work rate and Harvey is one of those guys. When you are at our level, you will always need extra work from everyone in order to be successful.  

Barnes had the numbers for us but could have been a much better player had he put the work in, hardly moved to enable a pas to him and his defensive contribution was nil.

Just now, hackneyfox said:

Barnes had the numbers for us but could have been a much better player had he put the work in, hardly moved to enable a pas to him and his defensive contribution was nil.

Absolutely. He has a strikers attitude. Which can be completely fine for some teams. Maybe even could have been for us at a  certain time. But as part of a team conceding 68 goals, clearly more support was needed.  

I dont put the blame on him in the slightest though, it seems like he was instructed by Rodgers to be like that and he certainly did his part. But overall its refreshing to see players who want the ball and will go and seek it rather than sitting and wait for something to happen 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Absolutely. He has a strikers attitude. Which can be completely fine for some teams. Maybe even could have been for us at a  certain time. But as part of a team conceding 68 goals, clearly more support was needed.  

I dont put the blame on him in the slightest though, it seems like he was instructed by Rodgers to be like that and he certainly did his part. But overall its refreshing to see players who want the ball and will go and seek it rather than sitting and wait for something to happen 

...did we let him (Barnes) down as a club!!!

Had he stayed he would have been under the tutelage of Maresca and his game may have expanded along with his work rate. I do not believe we saw the best of Barnes, there was more to his game than he showed. He has an exquisite touch but was not confident enough to bring it into his play whilst here and perhaps he may have been encouraged to express himself more under Maresca.

He did have a problem with being taken to the outside, which he struggled to come to terms with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Hinchcliffe was praying for him to get sent off. But I tell you what he works bloody hard without the ball - twice he made defensive blocks yesterday. Really deceptive how well of a rounded player he is. 

I like how he managed his emotions, didn’t get himself in anymore trouble but was still a threat. A mature head there.

i think with Mavididi, Akgun and Fatawu they have that competitiveness built in< I don't think we ever have to worry about them not tracking back. It's either good scouting or very fortunate. Going forward it's clear Maresca wants them both to go for it when they have 1 on 1 with the full back. Bcause of how we play into the middle and out wide i think he basically just wants us to have to beat 1 man to then have the chance to cross shoot or pull back, with the onus on the striker, 2 number 8's and opposite winger to be in the right places. 

It's so reliant on Winks/Ricardo doing the business in the number 6 positions and the defenders picking the right passes, but the rewards are constant overloads if the opposition dares to push on to us. Explains why we are doing so well away but have looked less fluent at home. 

• Like 2