Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Abdul Fatawu Signs

4 hours ago, Molson Canadian said:

Now this is some fashion lol

246.png?width=500&height=326

Gosh! That took me back.

City 1 Irish 0 was the headline in the Mercury, after Englands win in the home internationals iirc.

For younger readers, we had 4 players in that team.

Edit: Shilton's gloves look like they were knitted by his mum. How times change.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 3

On 17/10/2023 at 23:36, Free Falling Foxes said:

Gosh! That took me back.

City 1 Irish 0 was the headline in the Mercury, after Englands win in the home internationals iirc.

For younger readers, we had 4 players in that team.

Edit: Shilton's gloves look like they were knitted by his mum. How times change.

Lol 

Shilton always had the worst hair cuts back then. He also looks very much like Andre the giant. 

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He wasn't picked for their last round of games, so it's not impossible that will happen. What's the point of calling him up if he's only going to play 10-15 minutes of football across the tournament? They might think the same thing and think he's a player for the next cycle rather than this one. Admittedly, if he picks up form between now and then, that won't be their thinking!

Believe it or not, his goal yesterday was his first ever senior goal in top level European football! That's why you could see the other players were so happy for him, and I think it must be a big relief for him too. Of all our players, he and Mavididi are the ones likely to "explode" and suddenly go on a run of games where he scores a lot and looks like world beaters. He's got pace, power, good technique and devastating change of pace. The one thing lacking was confidence, but as he gains that, he is likely to become one hell of a player. 

Just before his goal, Maresca was about to hook him, and of course he did just after he scored. During the game I also thought that Mavididi was a lot better than him, but having seen the extended highlights, I've changed my mind on that, he had a pretty strong game.  

Personally, I would still expect to be frustrated by a player like this for quite a few years yet. It's a tricky position to play and one that is known for inconsistency. But I'd be shocked if we don't sign him, he seems like a good player and a good guy!

I don't find him frustrating to watch now. He is largely productive and makes good decisions generally....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He wasn't picked for their last round of games, so it's not impossible that will happen. What's the point of calling him up if he's only going to play 10-15 minutes of football across the tournament? They might think the same thing and think he's a player for the next cycle rather than this one. Admittedly, if he picks up form between now and then, that won't be their thinking!

Believe it or not, his goal yesterday was his first ever senior goal in top level European football! That's why you could see the other players were so happy for him, and I think it must be a big relief for him too. Of all our players, he and Mavididi are the ones likely to "explode" and suddenly go on a run of games where he scores a lot and looks like world beaters. He's got pace, power, good technique and devastating change of pace. The one thing lacking was confidence, but as he gains that, he is likely to become one hell of a player. 

Just before his goal, Maresca was about to hook him, and of course he did just after he scored. During the game I also thought that Mavididi was a lot better than him, but having seen the extended highlights, I've changed my mind on that, he had a pretty strong game.  

Personally, I would still expect to be frustrated by a player like this for quite a few years yet. It's a tricky position to play and one that is known for inconsistency. But I'd be shocked if we don't sign him, he seems like a good player and a good guy!

Yes to pace and power and a  neat technique, but the bit that’s really stood out to me is that appears to be quite an intelligent player…. He can pick and execute a good pass / cross…. He doesn’t just lash it across the 6 yard line and hope for the best…. This allied with his ability to beat a man suggests he has a very high ceiling for development…. I’m expecting great things and £15m will prove to be a snip I think…

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, FOXSE said:

I don't find him frustrating to watch now. He is largely productive and makes good decisions generally....

I agree, but 1 goal, 1 assist in 5 starts and 3 sub appearances would be considered sub-par in the Premier League, and that's the level we will be at fairly shortly.

There's no pressure on him whatsoever, though, this season is all about getting those games and developing as a person and player. It took Barnes a while before he became the player he did today, so I personally would not expect Fatawu to be at his best for quite a few seasons yet. We will have to be patient!

• Like 2

Name any 19 year old winger that doesn’t blow hot and cold?

I really like Fatawu and if Enzo (who my love keeps growing and growing for) thinks he can turn him into a monster winger then I’m more than excited about watching him grow as a player with all the raw materials in his locker.

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I agree, but 1 goal, 1 assist in 5 starts and 3 sub appearances would be considered sub-par in the Premier League, and that's the level we will be at fairly shortly.

There's no pressure on him whatsoever, though, this season is all about getting those games and developing as a person and player. It took Barnes a while before he became the player he did today, so I personally would not expect Fatawu to be at his best for quite a few seasons yet. We will have to be patient!

You have to take into account, that even wizard tactician can't measure, or just miss..!! 

LIKE, ALBRIGHTON,Stringfellow, like Mavididi, Like, 

Glover, Goodfellow, J. Sinclair like Guppy,Robbard, Weller, Willy Morgan It's their constant explosive threat, that keep

defences pinned back, honest &  nervous.. And keep crowds in expectation & anticipation... 

It makes that Romantic part of football. But not the registered mark-ups..

Not too controversial to say he's been a bigger threat than Stephy recently. Probably helps him not having to rotate with McAteer so much and he just gets a run of games to improve his decision making and final ball. Been a while since we had a player that genuinely gets a buzz in the crowd and bums off seats when he gets the ball.

60c14ggl0yvb1.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

^ Indicative of Fatawu's all-round play, these are some impressive stats for a 19 year old.

58 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Not too controversial to say he's been a bigger threat than Stephy recently. Probably helps him not having to rotate with McAteer so much and he just gets a run of games to improve his decision making and final ball. Been a while since we had a player that genuinely gets a buzz in the crowd and bums off seats when he gets the ball.

Not unfair to say, though Mavididi had a really good game against Swansea. Very unlucky not to come away with a goal and an assist. Enzo spent time coaching them over the window and it showed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

Not sure that is strictly true, the stats in term of creating chances is pretty even. 

S AND F.JPG

Edited by coolhandfox

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Not sure that is strictly true, the stats in term of creating chances is pretty even. 

S AND F.JPG

Stats are one thing but you can worry the opposition without troubling the statisticians. Fatawu has been more direct and more of a menace to his full back in recent games. It might not always result in a clear cut chance but he's definitely been more of a threat than Stephy (probably because his early form has had defenders doubling up on him and restricting his chances)