Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Tom Cannon

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

Preston really wanted him back but cannot justify spending £5-7m on one player. Sunderland were also interested.

He’s a solid young player that has plenty of potential.

Think also Southampton, Norwich and Boro have all been interested aswell. So obviously we're not the only ones who think he's an asset.

36 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Feels like our scouting has fallen so far, I remember we used to sign unknown stars from lower league like vardy or mahrez from france, now we going for a everton striker reject.

The Mahrez situation was a complete freak pick up, which even though it was only 9 years ago, would not happen these days due to the rise of statistical insights. Remember we weren't even scouting him, Walsh went to watch someone else and then saw something in him.

• Like 1

Just now, Bryn said:

Yeah I think Nacho stays and we accept that we don't get a fee. We've done quite well getting rid of people so maybe we've just budgeted for that loss.

Nacho can sign a pre-contract with a foreign side in January?

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The Mahrez situation was a complete freak pick up, which even though it was only 9 years ago, would not happen these days due to the rise of statistical insights. Remember we weren't even scouting him, Walsh went to watch someone else and then saw something in him.

Mahrez had been technically scouted and the club were aware of him. They weren't looking at him as his position wasn't a priority at the time, probably because we had Knockeart already.

The technical scouting in that period was immense and ahead of its time. I suspect it's because Pearson bought into that type of scouting that it was as successful as it was.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He's in the fifth percentile ( lol lol ) for passes attempted. And that's against just other strikers!! He's pretty mobile, most of his goals for Preston were either him finding space in the box or getting in behind. 

One thing he has that Vardy lacks is he's much better at progressive carries and succesful take ons. He isn't Messi but he's a bit of a better dribbler than Vards or Daka. Albeit a successful take on obviously can still just be knocking it past someone and doing them for pace. 

IMO we had Piroe lined up when we thought Iheanacho was going but now we expect to lose Daka it's Cannon. Piroe is all about hold up and link up play, Cannon is all about vertical movement 

We're looking to replace the players we're losing. The fact its Cannon in tells me Iheanacho is 99% staying personally. 

Hard to read too much into Cannon's play style from his stats imo. 18 starts at Preston who didn't have that much of the ball.

1 minute ago, kenny said:

Mahrez had been technically scouted and the club were aware of him. They weren't looking at him as his position wasn't a priority at the time, probably because we had Knockeart already.

The technical scouting in that period was immense and ahead of its time. I suspect it's because Pearson bought into that type of scouting that it was as successful as it was.

We also had Steve walsh

Just now, Stadt said:

Hard to read too much into Cannon's play style from his stats imo. 18 starts at Preston who didn't have that much of the ball.

Yes but 5th percentile is still crazy. I don't care what style of play Preston play, if 95% of other strikers have attempted more passes than you then you're probably not coming in to play the Iheanacho pseudo-10 role. 

For context, Patson Daka is in something like the 55th percentile. 5th is very much peak Jamie Vardy. 

• Like 1