Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Tom Cannon

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That's not exactly that same as expecting Cannon to go from 5th to 73rd (Iheanacho.)

I mean come on man. 

Euzq4Qw_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I think we're going back and forth largely for the sakes of it here. I'm not criticising Cannon, I've actually become quite positive about this, I think he's a good move. 

But I don't care what the sample size is for the data or how Preston compare to us, there's no chance that we have the same expectations for TC that we do for Kel. This kid pretty obviously has more likeness to a Vardy/Daka and that is almost certainly why we value him. 

His passes attempted will almost certainly be higher this year by virtue of our dominance but I still expect we will be valuing his take-ons and his movement off the ball more (and a low key shout out for his defensive contributions.) 

I'm not saying he'll be a deeper forward, I'm saying we don't know. Neither of us has watched him, the sample size is too small playing for a side in 17th for passes attempted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Question for you, stats asidem do you think a good coach can still get a 20 year old to learn new tricks? 

His stats above are playing for a VERY direct manager whose teams set up to concede barely any goals and hit teams on the break. 

I'll answer this with one of my favourite sporting soundbites. I remember watching an interview with Brian O'Driscoll years ago where he was being asked about his all round game. He got a question about training and whether he spent hours after hours working on his weaknesses. 

He said no, he spent hours after hours working on his strengths. He said he always felt it was better to be truly exceptional at the things you're good at than to try and diversify your skillset. 

I'm sure you can obviously improve the all round game of a 20 year old footballer but ultimately why not work on making him the best version of the Tom Cannon he already is? 

I also think it's really easy to under estimate how good Iheanacho is as an old school 10. Look at his stats for assists, expected assists, goal creating actions, etc. He's very, very good as a creator and provider for a forward at his level.

It'd be a significant ask to try and get Cannon to reinvent himself to be Iheanacho and I think if that was the plan we surely would have found someone else to recruit? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

They were academy cast offs from prem clubs though is the point. 

I thought that they were seen as rejects / not required by current club.

Hence Albrighton, Huth, Simpson. All way older than academy cast offs

33 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Everton season ticket colleague says he’s really good. So why aren’t they using him given how toothless they are? 

Their fans think they should be dining at the top table getting big names in, not relying on their own youth. That attitude probably spreads to the boardroom.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I'll answer this with one of my favourite sporting soundbites. I remember watching an interview with Brian O'Driscoll years ago where he was being asked about his all round game. He got a question about training and whether he spent hours after hours working on his weaknesses. 

He said no, he spent hours after hours working on his strengths. He said he always felt it was better to be truly exceptional at the things you're good at than to try and diversify your skillset. 

I'm sure you can obviously improve the all round game of a 20 year old footballer but ultimately why not work on making him the best version of the Tom Cannon he already is? 

I also think it's really easy to under estimate how good Iheanacho is as an old school 10. Look at his stats for assists, expected assists, goal creating actions, etc. He's very, very good as a creator and provider for a forward at his level.

It'd be a significant ask to try and get Cannon to reinvent himself to be Iheanacho and I think if that was the plan we surely would have found someone else to recruit? 

Like that!

Just curious as to whether we know enough about what his all round game actually is. None of us will have watched his 3 seasons at Everton U21 level (where he got plenty of goals) so just not sure i'm willing to bet on half a season at Preston being the perfect indicator of his personal style of play.

I say that as I think it's easier to get someone in and say 'Just ****ing win the ball and shoot whenever you can' which is evidenced in his highlights reel.... doesn't mean there isn't more layers to his game. 

Given how strong he looks in that video, his hold up play could be a real asset in our system, so my quesiton really was do you think we can teach him to get more accurate with his passing out to the wings. Will be interesting to see! 

On the flip side he looks a great replacement for JV and I actually think Enzo appreciates both options so we may see variations of the tactical system going forwards to suit all the strikers we have. 

11 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

I thought that they were seen as rejects / not required by current club.

Hence Albrighton, Huth, Simpson. All way older than academy cast offs

But this lad is young and seen as not required. Which seems to be people's main issue. You see where I'm coming from? 

6 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

I guess this is lined up and ready to go for when Daka leaves?

Or is he coming regardless? Strange one if so...

It looks like Daka to AC Milan on loan is just waiting on permits. 

Wouldn't surprise me if that was actually concluded first and then we invited Cannon for a medical, telling AC we wanted our replacement in first. 

• Like 2